all the slaughters are closed - Page 4
   

       The Horse Forum > Horse Resources > Horse Protection

all the slaughters are closed

This is a discussion on all the slaughters are closed within the Horse Protection forums, part of the Horse Resources category

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        01-05-2008, 05:22 PM
      #31
    Foal
    Quote:
    And now horses that would've been shipped to a US slaughter house might be going to Mexico and being more in-humanely treated and killed in a more grusome way. Guess it's one of those "danged-if-you-do-danged-if-you-don't" situations, in a way.
    But not as many horses are being slaughtered now.The number of horses that are sent to slaughter have dropped a crazy percentage since the ones in the US have been closed.Horses have always been sent to canada and mexico.Now it's just less.

    I see people say all the time that slaughter is necessary because it will lead to neglect. But, The vast majority of horses that currently wind up at slaughterhouses are in good condition (92.3 percent according to the USDA Guidelines for Handling and Transporting Equines to Slaughter) and will not be neglected or abandoned. The remaining 7 to 8 percent who may need rescue will either be placed at one of the more than 400 horse rescue and sanctuary facilities in the United States or will simply be humanely euthanized.

    In California, where horse slaughter was banned in 1998, there has been no corresponding rise in cruelty and neglect cases either, though horse theft dropped 34 percent after the ban. Allowing one's horse to starve is not an option—state anti-cruelty laws prohibit such neglect.
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        01-05-2008, 06:21 PM
      #32
    Foal
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alli0707
    Quote:
    And now horses that would've been shipped to a US slaughter house might be going to Mexico and being more in-humanely treated and killed in a more grusome way. Guess it's one of those "danged-if-you-do-danged-if-you-don't" situations, in a way.
    But not as many horses are being slaughtered now.The number of horses that are sent to slaughter have dropped a crazy percentage since the ones in the US have been closed.Horses have always been sent to canada and mexico.Now it's just less.

    I see people say all the time that slaughter is necessary because it will lead to neglect. But, The vast majority of horses that currently wind up at slaughterhouses are in good condition (92.3 percent according to the USDA Guidelines for Handling and Transporting Equines to Slaughter) and will not be neglected or abandoned. The remaining 7 to 8 percent who may need rescue will either be placed at one of the more than 400 horse rescue and sanctuary facilities in the United States or will simply be humanely euthanized.

    In California, where horse slaughter was banned in 1998, there has been no corresponding rise in cruelty and neglect cases either, though horse theft dropped 34 percent after the ban. Allowing one's horse to starve is not an option—state anti-cruelty laws prohibit such neglect.
    I agree that horses should be humanely put-down or sent to rescues, sanctuaries, etc. That's so much better than slaughtering.
    But with millions of horses in the USA, I don't think all of them can be lucky enough to go to someplace that's willing to care for them, or be humely put-down.

    And what about the entire nation? Abuse/neglect has dropped for California, but has it dropped for the entire nation?

    I dunno. Lol. Both of my horses were neglected when we got them and it broke my heart. I can't imagine finding a horse severly abused and neglected.

    Ugh, horse slaughter is just a touchy, confusing, sad subject.
         
        01-05-2008, 06:29 PM
      #33
    Foal
    Quote:
    I agree that horses should be humanely put-down or sent to rescues, sanctuaries, etc. That's so much better than slaughtering.
    But with millions of horses in the USA, I don't think all of them can be lucky enough to go to someplace that's willing to care for them, or be humely put-down.

    And what about the entire nation? Abuse/neglect has dropped for California, but has it dropped for the entire nation?

    I dunno. Lol. Both of my horses were neglected when we got them and it broke my heart. I can't imagine fiding a horse severly abused and neglected.

    Ugh, horse slaughter is just a touchy, confusing, sad subject.
    Over 50% of those millions of horses have loving good homes.

    And the whole thing with Cali is to show that neglect and abuse won't change and it hasn't, anywhere.Slaughter results in neglect.
         
        01-05-2008, 08:51 PM
      #34
    Foal
    I'm still kind of "on the fence" about it.
    I can see the points of both sides.
         
        01-07-2008, 09:18 AM
      #35
    Yearling
    I'd rather see them humanely put down then what happens to them at the slaughter house. :(
         
        01-07-2008, 12:26 PM
      #36
    Foal
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kim_angel
    i'd rather see them humanely put down then what happens to them at the slaughter house. :(
    exactly.Why do they have to be so brutal about it?Why not just euthanize them? People in Asia and Europe don't need their meat.
         
        01-09-2008, 03:24 PM
      #37
    Banned
    Actually, it might help to research your facts before making bold claims like, "But not as many horses are being slaughtered now.The number of horses that are sent to slaughter have dropped a crazy percentage since the ones in the US have been closed.Horses have always been sent to canada and mexico.Now it's just less. "

    Um, excuse me?

    In reality, the number of horses transported to Mexico to be slaughtered has increased by 300-500% and the number going to Canada has increased by 50%. These numbers don't include the horses that were shipped across the border "for recreation" or "for breeding"--but were still slaughtered, and the shippers just lied to avoid cruelty laws. And that's only for 2007, when the slaughterhouses in the US were still operating for part of the year. The number of horses being killed outside the country has increased drastically.

    And, if you're going to use California as an example, horses were just hauled outside the state, then sold for slaughter. There are ways to get around every law.

    And, by the way, I got these statistics from the AVMA website.
         
        01-09-2008, 08:40 PM
      #38
    Banned
    http://www.avma.org/issues/animal_we...horses_faq.asp

    http://www.avma.org/onlnews/javma/jan08/x080115a.asp
         
        01-09-2008, 09:37 PM
      #39
    Foal
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bubba13
    Actually, it might help to research your facts before making bold claims like, "But not as many horses are being slaughtered now.The number of horses that are sent to slaughter have dropped a crazy percentage since the ones in the US have been closed.Horses have always been sent to canada and mexico.Now it's just less. "

    Um, excuse me?

    In reality, the number of horses transported to Mexico to be slaughtered has increased by 300-500% and the number going to Canada has increased by 50%. These numbers don't include the horses that were shipped across the border "for recreation" or "for breeding"--but were still slaughtered, and the shippers just lied to avoid cruelty laws. And that's only for 2007, when the slaughterhouses in the US were still operating for part of the year. The number of horses being killed outside the country has increased drastically.

    And, if you're going to use California as an example, horses were just hauled outside the state, then sold for slaughter. There are ways to get around every law.

    And, by the way, I got these statistics from the AVMA website.
    If you look at statistics starting from around 1985, horses slaughtered has gone down.

    Anyways, It has nothing to do with how many horses are slaughtered. It's the fact that horses are stil being slaughtered, even more inhumane then before.
         
        01-09-2008, 09:44 PM
      #40
    Weanling
    Well a lot of people are saying that if you euthanize a horse and burrying them would take up too much space. What about cremation??? Most people I know cremate their animals when they die, because where are they going to burry them?

    I don't know how I feel about slaughter.... I don't want to see any horse in pain or to suffer. Isnt there a way to just euthanize them (not shooting them in the head) then slaughter tehm or w/e??

    I mean I agree that something has to be done about the excess amount of unwanted horses. WE humans are selfish, animals were here on earth before us. And what do we do? We shove them out of the way and leave them no where to be free. I wish we could make a special reservation for horses that are unwanted, let them be free....If only dreams could come true :roll:
         

    Thread Tools



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:39 AM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0