all the slaughters are closed - Page 5
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Horse Resources > Horse Protection

all the slaughters are closed

This is a discussion on all the slaughters are closed within the Horse Protection forums, part of the Horse Resources category

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        01-09-2008, 11:13 PM
      #41
    Banned
    Let's see...128,000 horses were slaughtered in 1985, and 105,000 in 2006....doesn't seem like a significant difference to me. And during that whole time period it was fluxuating up and down all over the place from 47,000 to 348,000. There is absolutely nothing there to analyze for general trends.

    Oh, yeah, only 29,000 were killed in 2007--but that's NOT counting the ones going to Mexico and Canada!
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        01-09-2008, 11:39 PM
      #42
    Foal
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bubba13
    Let's see...128,000 horses were slaughtered in 1985, and 105,000 in 2006....doesn't seem like a significant difference to me. And during that whole time period it was fluxuating up and down all over the place from 47,000 to 348,000. There is absolutely nothing there to analyze for general trends.

    Oh, yeah, only 29,000 were killed in 2007--but that's NOT counting the ones going to Mexico and Canada!
    I'm not even trying to argue about how many are sent to slaughter. Well I kind of am. But not as much as I'm trying to stress the issue that since the US plants have been closed, horses sent to slaughter is not as much.

    And yes they do go up and down but no year has gone over 2007.
         
        01-09-2008, 11:43 PM
      #43
    Foal
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RockinTheBit07
    Well a lot of people are saying that if you euthanize a horse and burrying them would take up too much space. What about cremation??? Most people I know cremate their animals when they die, because where are they going to burry them?

    I don't know how I feel about slaughter.... I don't want to see any horse in pain or to suffer. Isnt there a way to just euthanize them (not shooting them in the head) then slaughter tehm or w/e??

    I mean I agree that something has to be done about the excess amount of unwanted horses. WE humans are selfish, animals were here on earth before us. And what do we do? We shove them out of the way and leave them no where to be free. I wish we could make a special reservation for horses that are unwanted, let them be free....If only dreams could come true :roll:
    I like how you said that animals were on this earth before us. That's a very easy way to put it, but I don't have that kind of common sense.I'm glad not to be one of those selfish ones.
         
        01-10-2008, 12:06 AM
      #44
    Banned
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alli0707
    But not as much as I'm trying to stress the issue that since the US plants have been closed, horses sent to slaughter is not as much.

    And yes they do go up and down but no year has gone over 2007.
    First part: That's exactly what I'm trying to tell you is not the case. Just as many horses are being slaughtered as before--only not all in the US, as they're being shipped out. And even if slaughter was decreasing--which it's not--what does that mean? There are still tens of thousands (or more) of unwanted, abused, and abandoned horses.

    Second part: Whu....?
         
        01-10-2008, 12:10 AM
      #45
    Foal
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bubba13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alli0707
    But not as much as I'm trying to stress the issue that since the US plants have been closed, horses sent to slaughter is not as much.

    And yes they do go up and down but no year has gone over 2007.
    First part: That's exactly what I'm trying to tell you is not the case. Just as many horses are being slaughtered as before--only not all in the US, as they're being shipped out. And even if slaughter was decreasing--which it's not--what does that mean? There are still tens of thousands (or more) of unwanted, abused, and abandoned horses.
    yeah that if people loved there horses enough they would come up with some way of getting the money to put them down humanely.

    And again.Horses that are being slaughtered have gone down.Sure they were going up and down for awhile but every other year or so they have gone down more and more. Just wait till they show statistics for 2008.It's going to be lower then 2007. Because it costs more money to get those horses transported to mexico and canada.
         
        01-10-2008, 12:15 AM
      #46
    Banned
    You are missing the point entirely. There will be 0 horses slaughtered in 2008--because horse slaughter is now ILLEGAL. Why will it cost more to ship to Canada or Mexico? Answer: It won't. What if they make it illegal to ship slaughter-bound horses across the border? Answer: People will lie and say horses are going to be sold for riding, but slaughter them anyway once they're in Mexico and it's not against the law. Or we'll have to face the overpopulation crisis in the US and round up all the horses like dogs and cats at the pound and shoot them, like they used to do the Mustangs....or let them starve in backyards like they're already doing.
         
        01-10-2008, 12:22 AM
      #47
    Foal
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bubba13
    You are missing the point entirely. There will be 0 horses slaughtered in 2008--because horse slaughter is now ILLEGAL. Why will it cost more to ship to Canada or Mexico? Answer: It won't. What if they make it illegal to ship slaughter-bound horses across the border? Answer: People will lie and say horses are going to be sold for riding, but slaughter them anyway once they're in Mexico and it's not against the law. Or we'll have to face the overpopulation crisis in the US and round up all the horses like dogs and cats at the pound and shoot them, like they used to do the Mustangs....or let them starve in backyards like they're already doing.
    Cancel out alot of land that people are using for farming and put horses on it. Cut down costs on food and medication.And I mean the slaughter statistics for canada and mexico, not the US. People need to open their eyes and realize the costs to take care of a horse are REDICULOUS.And no matter what there will be animal cruelty but atleast it won't be legal to slaughter an animal inhumanely.Especially an animal that is the same as dogs and cats.How come they don't have slaughter houses for cats and dogs in the US?I'm done arguing with you.It's pointless and I just put you on my SELFISH PEOPLE list.
         
        01-10-2008, 12:29 AM
      #48
    Banned
    They don't slaughter dogs and cats in the US because they euthanize them in pounds.

    Stop using farming land? Then what will said horses (and people) eat? Air? Magic apples that don't grow on trees? How are they going to cut down food cost when there isn't enough land to begin with, plus apparently now we're giving it all to the horsies?

    People eat horses in Mexico. Gasp! And they don't have animal cruelty laws. Gasp! So why would slaughter go down in Mexico?

    And of course you're done arguing or so you say) because you realize that you're unsupported "facts" and made-up "statistics" can't hold up.
         
        01-10-2008, 12:36 AM
      #49
    Foal
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bubba13
    They don't slaughter dogs and cats in the US because they euthanize them in pounds.

    Stop using farming land? Then what will said horses (and people) eat? Air? Magic apples that don't grow on trees? How are they going to cut down food cost when there isn't enough land to begin with, plus apparently now we're giving it all to the horsies?

    People eat horses in Mexico. Gasp! And they don't have animal cruelty laws. Gasp! So why would slaughter go down in Mexico?

    And of course you're done arguing or so you say) because you realize that you're unsupported "facts" and made-up "statistics" can't hold up.
    lol made up.Everything I've said so far is not made up. And they don't eat horses in mexico legally.And they do have animal cruelty laws. And I'm not talking about the grass in farms. I'm talking about all the corn we have in this country. There is so much of it that can be cut down and grass can be planted. Have you ever been to the south and central states? They have sooooooooooo much corn and vegetables we don't need. But then again I'm just dreaming on all that. And I'm not done arguing with you because I realize that I'm wrong.I am 100% right and I'm not going to argue with a pro horse slaughter being. I know I can't change your mind so why keep going? Now just stop and move on to someone that will give up their views for yours.
         
        01-10-2008, 12:42 PM
      #50
    Banned
    I'm not going to stop until you stop making things up.

    They don't eat horses legally in Mexico? Really?

    http://ats-sea.agr.gc.ca/latin/3659_e.htm

    http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/mex...r.3496288.html

    Do I need to post more to back me up, or is that enough? Because there's plenty more available.

    Mexico has animal cruelty laws, but they're very lax and they aren't enforced. Mexico has a corrupt government, and animals don't matter. Horse tripping, for example, is a perfectly legal rodeo event in Mexico. Read the second link above in its entirety for information on how well those cruelty laws are enforced.

    The "excess" corn is being used to feed people and animals (haven't you ever seen corn in horse feed) as well as to produce ethanol to limit our dependence on fossil fuels as well as decrease pollution, hence, global warming. Don't like ethanol? Doesn't matter--it's coming anyway.

    http://ncga.com/WorldOfCorn/2006/environmental.asp
         

    Quick Reply
    Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
    Message:
    Options

    Register Now

    In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

    Already have a Horse Forum account?
    Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

    New to the Horse Forum?
    Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

    User Name:
    Password
    Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
    Password:
    Confirm Password:
    Email Address
    Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
    Email Address:

    Log-in

    Human Verification

    In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


    Old Thread Warning
    This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

    Thread Tools



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:59 AM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0