Coyotes - Page 2 - The Horse Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 30 Old 11-07-2009, 09:29 AM
Showing
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Greenville area / SC
Posts: 13,165
• Horses: 3
By all means, shooting them is the only way to get rid of them or, at least, keep the numbers under control.

A .22, IMO, is too light a caliber to use and, unless you are a crack shot, you will end up with a lot of wounded animals. The minimum I would use would be a .22 mag but I'm a competitive shooter. For the average person, nothing smaller then what you would use for deer - even 00 buck shot or slugs is better.

I'm not arguing with you, I'm just explaining why I'm right.

Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong.


It's not always what you say but what they hear.
iridehorses is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 30 Old 11-07-2009, 10:24 AM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 666
• Horses: 4
Coyotes in Oklahoma are a big problem to, not so much for livestock but if you own chickens that's another story. They aren't typically pack animals most hunt alone however I have heard stories of them running in small packs. The area I live is also very saturated within a 10 mile radius probably over 100 or so. One of the best things to get is a pyrenees or other livestock protection dog they are coyote killing machines and any coyote with half a brain won't come anywhere near where a pyrenees patrols..they do cover a large area around their home.
Other than that it's shoot them on sight..if you see them. Hybrids do pose another problem being part domesticated they have no fear of humans and will go after small livestock and often do run in packs.

Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway~~John Wayne
close2prfct is offline  
post #13 of 30 Old 11-07-2009, 10:28 AM
Trained
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: N.W. Ohio
Posts: 5,344
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinshorses View Post
Quit the pellet gun crap and get a real rifle and learn how to shoot it. I would love to go to a place with 50+ coyotes. There would soon be many fewer. If they are a hazard to pets and livestock it is time to reduce numbers and that means killing them.
This is what I do here. However if you do not hit it the first time you will not get a second chance. Once they hear gun fire they are off and gone. I am about 1500 feet from the state forest which is hundreds of acres. The Coyotes will come right up to the fence line every so often. I just shoot off the shotgun into the air as at night with the tree line you can not see them. They stay gone for quite some time.

-I'm so busy... I don't know if I found a rope or lost my horse.
-An Armed Man is a Citizen an unarmed man is a subject.
-Where ever free speech is stifled Tyranny will reign.
nrhareiner is offline  
post #14 of 30 Old 11-07-2009, 01:52 PM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Posts: 4,510
• Horses: 2
Yeah, coyotes are typically pretty docile and wimpy, but the minute the numbers grow like that, they turn into an entirely new breed of animal. When there's not enough food to go around, they turn into any other predator because they know they have nothing to lose - they're going to starve to death anyway.

You can't play around when the population explodes like that, because they figure it out fast. And they're now a dangerous animal you can't just chase off because they WILL challange you if they're hungry enough. Starving predators don't use cunning anymore, they're desperate and they'll go after anything that moves just to survive.

Learn how to use a gun or find someone with a gun. The disease and havoc they can wreck on an area can be devastating.

Quote:
I hope God tells her to smash her computer with a sledgehammer.

MacabreMikolaj is offline  
post #15 of 30 Old 11-07-2009, 04:09 PM Thread Starter
Yearling
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: I don't know
Posts: 1,158
• Horses: 1
I will talk to my grandpa about shooting or at least firing a shot. The nieghbours have a gaurd dog that helps out but he doent go where my horse is going to live.

Live to ride. Ride to live.
Tasia is offline  
post #16 of 30 Old 11-07-2009, 04:39 PM
Foal
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Tenn.
Posts: 244
• Horses: 2
Haha! Yeah we have coyotes around here as well. Get yourself a donkey. Any donkey I have ever seen have chased and trompled down coyotes.....

And as you say I am a animal "freak" as well. So much where I have a coyote. My friend has a donkey in there field and it killed the mom. My friend's Dad was going to kill the pup but my friend took it and asked me to take care of him. I did and he hasn't left.

But once again if your worried get a donkey!

Last edited by BarneyBabby; 11-07-2009 at 04:43 PM.
BarneyBabby is offline  
post #17 of 30 Old 11-07-2009, 11:56 PM
Chat Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: western Kentucky
Posts: 3,744
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by iridehorses View Post
By all means, shooting them is the only way to get rid of them or, at least, keep the numbers under control.

A .22, IMO, is too light a caliber to use and, unless you are a crack shot, you will end up with a lot of wounded animals. The minimum I would use would be a .22 mag but I'm a competitive shooter. For the average person, nothing smaller then what you would use for deer - even 00 buck shot or slugs is better.
I would suggest something light abd easy to handle like a pistol caliber rifle. I use a Winchester 94 in 45 Colt. but Marlin 1894 in 357 mag or 44 mag would be fine. or 30/30.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacabreMikolaj View Post
Yeah, coyotes are typically pretty docile and wimpy, but the minute the numbers grow like that, they turn into an entirely new breed of animal. When there's not enough food to go around, they turn into any other predator because they know they have nothing to lose - they're going to starve to death anyway.

You can't play around when the population explodes like that, because they figure it out fast. And they're now a dangerous animal you can't just chase off because they WILL challange you if they're hungry enough. Starving predators don't use cunning anymore, they're desperate and they'll go after anything that moves just to survive.

Learn how to use a gun or find someone with a gun. The disease and havoc they can wreck on an area can be devastating.
That is true and everyone needs to be careful, exspecially if their is a large increase in numbers of coyotes. or if a new predator species such as a wolf moves into the area. The first thing they do is run or kill off the coyotes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarneyBabby View Post
Haha! Yeah we have coyotes around here as well. Get yourself a donkey. Any donkey I have ever seen have chased and trompled down coyotes.....

And as you say I am a animal "freak" as well. So much where I have a coyote. My friend has a donkey in there field and it killed the mom. My friend's Dad was going to kill the pup but my friend took it and asked me to take care of him. I did and he hasn't left.

But once again if your worried get a donkey!
While I agree a gun is a good start but you can't be there 24/7 guarding your herd or animal. and a donkey will be. I would suggest going with a 1 2 punch. I have a gun but also have a donkey to guard the herd.

A good cowboy always has a better horse at the end of the ride, a poor cowboy will be afoot reguardless of the horse.

Mis Raices Estan Aqui (my roots are buried here)
Kentucky is offline  
post #18 of 30 Old 11-08-2009, 12:14 AM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: alberta
Posts: 2,747
• Horses: 1
like everyone else said: shoot 'em
i personally find no joy in hunting animals, haha, but when anything threatens my horses i would shoot it in a heartbeat. ive chased off coyotes with a stick quite a few times, just yell and they usually run, if they dont, make urself look big and throw some rocks or a stick....if any coyote gets used to that then it should be shot.

i love to hear the sound of a pack of coyotes/wolves howling in the night tho it makes me feel at home

If there are no horses in heaven... im not going.
ridergirl23 is offline  
post #19 of 30 Old 11-08-2009, 05:23 PM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: yorkshire england
Posts: 633
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by close2prfct View Post
Coyotes in Oklahoma are a big problem to, not so much for livestock but if you own chickens that's another story. They aren't typically pack animals most hunt alone however I have heard stories of them running in small packs. The area I live is also very saturated within a 10 mile radius probably over 100 or so. One of the best things to get is a pyrenees or other livestock protection dog they are coyote killing machines and any coyote with half a brain won't come anywhere near where a pyrenees patrols..they do cover a large area around their home.
Other than that it's shoot them on sight..if you see them. Hybrids do pose another problem being part domesticated they have no fear of humans and will go after small livestock and often do run in packs.
theres no coyotes over here just the odd mad dog but yeh i can see ow the hybrid would be a lo more dangerous
jimmy is offline  
post #20 of 30 Old 11-08-2009, 05:24 PM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: With my boys & girl
Posts: 465
• Horses: 0
You should borrow my SIL's mare. She's 18 hands and according to my SIL calls coyotes target practice... She actually has 3 turkeys hanging out with her for protection.
Joke aside, if it is that bad, can you talk to whoever is in charge of the forest area and see if they are/can do anything about it?
Kiara is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome