Coyotes - Page 3 - The Horse Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 30 Old 11-08-2009, 09:31 PM
Foal
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: southern california
Posts: 202
• Horses: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinshorses View Post
Propane tanks are pretty robust so unless you had a really big rifle you probably wouldn't hurt the tank and even if you did the gas probably wouldn't ignite. But if you just don't aim at them then you won't hit them. Anywhere else in the country I would say put an add in the paper and you would get all kind of takers. Since you're in California animal rights activists would probably burn your house down then you wouldn't have to worry about the coyotes. Buy a .22 caliber rifle and a video on predator hunting and you might just learn to enjoy it.
Okay, will do!
I'm a pretty good shot with my 357 but too much power and too pinpoint action for a moving coyote...rifle much better. Thanks again!
coffeemama is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 30 Old 01-28-2010, 10:52 PM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 269
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by iridehorses View Post
By all means, shooting them is the only way to get rid of them or, at least, keep the numbers under control.

A .22, IMO, is too light a caliber to use and, unless you are a crack shot, you will end up with a lot of wounded animals. The minimum I would use would be a .22 mag but I'm a competitive shooter. For the average person, nothing smaller then what you would use for deer - even 00 buck shot or slugs is better.
huh? Deer sized caliber for 'yotes? And who's saying ya got to be a competitive shooter to pop 'em with a .22 mag? My state's law states to spotlight you be LIMITED TO rimfire rifles. A light centerfire would be "ideal." .223 or something in that neighborhood. .243 would work great. Shot one a couple months ago with a .308 and it just ripped it up, which I don't mind.

Really, anything from .22 LR or WMR to deer calibers (.308, .30/06, .30/30, .300 mags) will work and eliminate your problem.

The one I popped was literally out in my back yard, at 10am. Thought perhaps it was going after the dog or the deer carcass in the garage. Nope, there was a dead deer that fell through one of the ponds right here by the house. Grab gun, head outside and it was still around.
spence is offline  
post #23 of 30 Old 01-29-2010, 01:29 AM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 370
• Horses: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridergirl23 View Post
i love to hear the sound of a pack of coyotes/wolves howling in the night tho it makes me feel at home
Can't agree with you at all. I hate it when they get going at night. When we get a bunch near the house they'll get my dogs (2 Pyrs and a mutt kept in the house) howling and then everyone in the house is awake!

I worry about one of them getting ahold of my little mutt when she's outside, not so much the horses or Pyrs. My husband is a big hunter and he's tried to get a permit to put out traps for them (he was told no, too risky for any dogs or cats that might be in the woods). I used to be opposed to hunting something that you weren't going to eat, but I've offered to help him decrease the coyote numbers now!

If you don't want to shoot them yourself, just find a few hunters who want some practice. You'll have plenty of help.

I was normal...then I got a horse.
snoggle is offline  
post #24 of 30 Old 01-29-2010, 07:14 AM
Showing
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Greenville area / SC
Posts: 13,165
• Horses: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
huh? Deer sized caliber for 'yotes? And who's saying ya got to be a competitive shooter to pop 'em with a .22 mag? My state's law states to spotlight you be LIMITED TO rimfire rifles. A light centerfire would be "ideal." .223 or something in that neighborhood. .243 would work great. Shot one a couple months ago with a .308 and it just ripped it up, which I don't mind.

Really, anything from .22 LR or WMR to deer calibers (.308, .30/06, .30/30, .300 mags) will work and eliminate your problem.
22LR and 22mag are both rim fire so they would be illegal at night in your state. I mentioned that I shoot competitively because I believe the majority of the members that read this and intend to use the information are not. I also believe that most are not deer hunters. Not being either I would question their accuracy and temperament/excitement at the time of the shot. Given that, and including the fact that you are shooting in the dark, I would want them to use something that will require a little less pinpoint accuracy then a rim fire weapon would produce. I want a clean kill, not a wounded animal.

I'm not arguing with you, I'm just explaining why I'm right.

Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong.


It's not always what you say but what they hear.

Last edited by iridehorses; 01-29-2010 at 07:16 AM.
iridehorses is offline  
post #25 of 30 Old 01-29-2010, 12:23 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 796
• Horses: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarneyBabby View Post
Haha! Yeah we have coyotes around here as well. Get yourself a donkey. Any donkey I have ever seen have chased and trompled down coyotes.....

And as you say I am a animal "freak" as well. So much where I have a coyote. My friend has a donkey in there field and it killed the mom. My friend's Dad was going to kill the pup but my friend took it and asked me to take care of him. I did and he hasn't left.

But once again if your worried get a donkey!
Really? You have a coyote? Do you keep him as a pet in your home? I'd like to see pictures! That's pretty cool
dynamite. is offline  
post #26 of 30 Old 01-29-2010, 06:30 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Florida, GA line
Posts: 1,249
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoggle View Post
Can't agree with you at all. I hate it when they get going at night. When we get a bunch near the house they'll get my dogs (2 Pyrs and a mutt kept in the house) howling and then everyone in the house is awake!

I worry about one of them getting ahold of my little mutt when she's outside, not so much the horses or Pyrs. My husband is a big hunter and he's tried to get a permit to put out traps for them (he was told no, too risky for any dogs or cats that might be in the woods). I used to be opposed to hunting something that you weren't going to eat, but I've offered to help him decrease the coyote numbers now!

If you don't want to shoot them yourself, just find a few hunters who want some practice. You'll have plenty of help.
Do you leave the pyr's outside? Since they were bred for livestock protection. Just curious :)
lacyloo is offline  
post #27 of 30 Old 01-29-2010, 09:11 PM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 370
• Horses: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by lacyloo View Post
Do you leave the pyr's outside? Since they were bred for livestock protection. Just curious :)
No, they are very spoiled house pets. I got them when I lived in a city by myself, so they didn't have any livestock to guard, just me. Besides, my boy, Max, is almost 13 (VERY old for a giant breed dog) and he has a pretty tough time getting around. He still enjoys life and thinks he can go on long walks (he's still 2 in his mind), but I have to keep him limited or his old man hips can't handle it. He does have the guarding instinct, but he has to be pampered in his old age.

My girl, Lacey, is 8, but a lousy watch dog. They are a really calm breed, but she's so lazy and laid back we actually have to force her into the yard to make her pee, or she will hold it forever (and end up with a UTI). She couldn't be bothered to do stuff like bark at strangers or wild animals. But she makes up for it by being sweet and loveable.

I had a third one for a little while that I rescued as a stray. My mom has her now because hubby said "No more dogs" and mom (68, lives alone) needed a watch dog. Lily is a fabulous guardian. They are great too because despite the fact that they are guard dogs and look scary to strangers, they are so gentle I would trust them with a baby.

Wow, that's way more than you ever wanted to know about my dogs, isn't it? I just adore them, can't help but ramble on. Gosh, I need to have kids!

I was normal...then I got a horse.
snoggle is offline  
post #28 of 30 Old 01-30-2010, 02:06 AM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 269
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by iridehorses View Post
22LR and 22mag are both rim fire so they would be illegal at night in your state.
incorrect. I suppose it's my fault because I didn't check my laws properly before posting. Directly from our hunting regs
Quote:
Legal Equipment: Furbearer & Coyote - firearms (except full auto), bow and arrow, and crossbow

Use of Artificial Light: Furbearers and coyotes may be taken at night, but the use of artificial light, including optics that project or amplify lights, is prohibited. However, hand held, battery powered flashlights, hat lamps, or hand held lanterns may be used to take trapped furbearers, trapped coyotes, or furbeareres treed by dogs with .22 rimfire rifles and handguns.
translation - any firearm may be used to take coyotes. Including a .17 HMR, .22 WMR, .22 LR, .22 Short, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iridehorses View Post
I mentioned that I shoot competitively because I believe the majority of the members that read this and intend to use the information are not. I also believe that most are not deer hunters.
presumption perhaps? I realize this is NOT a gun board or anything of the sort, however it seems that many who live in areas with a high enough coyote population either are, or have the gumption to learn, to be proficient enough to take a 'yote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iridehorses View Post
Not being either I would question their accuracy and temperament/excitement at the time of the shot. Given that, and including the fact that you are shooting in the dark, I would want them to use something that will require a little less pinpoint accuracy then a rim fire weapon would produce. I want a clean kill, not a wounded animal.
personally, I don't go looking for 'yotes at night, but would not hesitate if the poor fools wondered on me. And the other thing to consider is COST. While I would say about the most effective coyote gun would be a decent bolt gun in .223 with a top end powered scope of 9x to 12x. Ammo is relatively inexpensive and it's got more than enough whallup to get the job done.

However, most folks who have a pest problem aren't going to chunk out $400+ for that one task. $100 to 200 would be more likely? A decent .22 or .22 mag can be had for that and ammo is MUCH cheaper. And that's why I figure if somebody's already got anything else around that'll kill 'em dead, then use it.
spence is offline  
post #29 of 30 Old 02-01-2010, 01:27 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Watertown, MN
Posts: 5,540
• Horses: 3
*I want to see pics of the pet coyote* No pics = didn't happen ;D
MN Tigerstripes is offline  
post #30 of 30 Old 02-01-2010, 02:49 PM
Foal
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: saskatchewan, canada
Posts: 72
• Horses: 1
We have tons of coyotes here in saskatchewan, but have never heard of them taking farm animals. Unless the yotes are very sick, they stay away from us. We hear and see them out in fields all the time. Just this spring we watched a mother cow chase off 3 coyotes away from her calf. The coyotes kept coming back but then the cow caught one of the yotes and after that they were gone. It was a neat sight to see. And yeah a good couple of gun shots in there direction will keep them away, my cousins own a butcher shop up north and they have guts out all the time, they shot one coyote and the rest tend to get the hint for a while, to stay away. Llamas will keep pests away, I have even known one that took on a cougar to protect its horses. The llama was ripped apart but it faught off the cougar, the owners put it down but it had the will to live had they spent the thoughsands of $$ to fix him. We also has guard donkeys out here that are specifically bred to fight off coyotes and dogs. They tend to be for calves but would be great for horses too. We went to look at one for a buddy for our horse but he was pretty aggresive
specialdelivery is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome