Derby Winner Slaughtered
   

       The Horse Forum > Horse Resources > Horse Protection

Derby Winner Slaughtered

This is a discussion on Derby Winner Slaughtered within the Horse Protection forums, part of the Horse Resources category
  • Petition to Harry Reid supporting the American Horse Slaughter Prevention Act of 2011

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    10-07-2008, 04:40 PM
  #1
Yearling
Derby Winner Slaughtered

Today in the mail I receive this petition. I was happy to see it, I would absolutely love it if this act was passed. However I was upset to hear about poor Ferdinand. I've typed out most of the letter for you guys to read if you wish, since it explains a lot better than me.

"Dear Fellow Horse Lovers,

... Please sign and return the enclosed petition to Senate majority Leader Harry Reid requesting him to hold an immediate vote on S.311, "The American Horse Slaughter Prevention Act."

The good news is this legislation, introduced by Senators Mary Landrieu (D-LA) and John Ensign (R-NV), has 38 co-sponsors and strong bipartisan support.

But S.311 is stalled in committee because the infamous Senator Larry Craig of Idaho has a "hold" on this bill preventing it from coming to a vote.

Your help is urgently needed because last year horse welfare groups were successful in shutting down-- at least for now-- the three remaining horse slaughter plants operating in the United States.

Also last year, the House of Representatives passed a bill by a wide margin to outlaw horse slaughter, including the shipment of horses to foreign countries like Mexico and Canada for slaughter

But this didn't matter when the Senate version failed. Senator Larry Craig has S.311, which would have banned horse slaughter, removed from the Omnibus Appropriations Bill.

And now all of our horses are still being shipped to Mexico and Canada for slaughter.

How did this happen?

Because of pressure from livestock lobbyists, and from many powerful pro-slaughter horse organizations like the American Quarter Horse Association (AQHA), a member of the "Unwanted Horse Coalition," whose membership consists of a majority of these pro-slaughter groups.

... According to the US Dept of Agriculture, over 92% of horses slaughtered are actually in "good condition."

That's perhaps the greatest tragedy and misunderstanding regarding horse slaughter. The majority are not old or lame horses going to slaughter: pregnant mares, Premarin foals, wild horses, polo ponies, recreations horses, and even one Kentucky Derby winner's life ended at a slaughterhouse.

Front Range Equine Rescue is determined to see the elimination of a horse slaughter and its literally working in the trenches to do so. I urge you to help us by contacting you two US Senators directly are (202) 224-2121, or you can visit our website to sign online petition."

Here is the Derby Winner that was killed in a slaughterhouse:

http://www.championsgallery.com/Ferdinand.jpg
^picture of him racing

ESPN - From Derby winner to a slaughterhouse? - Horse Racing
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    10-07-2008, 05:28 PM
  #2
Showing
What happened to those horses is horrible and the methods used as well as their treatment on the way is just as bad if not criminal. But is it any worse a fate then all the horses that are left to starve to death in their own filth by "caring" owners who don't know better or just lost interest?

What do we do with all the horses that are bred by morons who happen to have a stud and are totally irresponsible about breeding them. Those horses end up at sale barns selling for $50 or less. What does that do to the entire horse economy? We are overstocked with useless horses that no one wants and yet there are people out there still breeding them. What do we do with them?

The word "slaughter" conjures awful images and most may be correct but there needs to be a way to limit the production of horses so that "slaughter" is not an alternative to overpopulation and neglect.
     
    10-08-2008, 03:20 PM
  #3
Yearling
I'm definitely for euthanasia rather than slaughter. Americans have such a phobia of actually getting it done, but it's much more humane thing to do.
     
    10-12-2008, 03:43 AM
  #4
Started
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermane    
I'm definitely for euthanasia rather than slaughter.

I kinda gotta agree with you there. Me too
     
    10-13-2008, 12:38 AM
  #5
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermane    
Today in the mail I receive this petition. I was happy to see it, I would absolutely love it if this act was passed. However I was upset to hear about poor Ferdinand. I've typed out most of the letter for you guys to read if you wish, since it explains a lot better than me.

"Dear Fellow Horse Lovers,

... Please sign and return the enclosed petition to Senate majority Leader Harry Reid requesting him to hold an immediate vote on S.311, "The American Horse Slaughter Prevention Act."

The good news is this legislation, introduced by Senators Mary Landrieu (D-LA) and John Ensign (R-NV), has 38 co-sponsors and strong bipartisan support.

But S.311 is stalled in committee because the infamous Senator Larry Craig of Idaho has a "hold" on this bill preventing it from coming to a vote.

Your help is urgently needed because last year horse welfare groups were successful in shutting down-- at least for now-- the three remaining horse slaughter plants operating in the United States.

Also last year, the House of Representatives passed a bill by a wide margin to outlaw horse slaughter, including the shipment of horses to foreign countries like Mexico and Canada for slaughter

But this didn't matter when the Senate version failed. Senator Larry Craig has S.311, which would have banned horse slaughter, removed from the Omnibus Appropriations Bill.

And now all of our horses are still being shipped to Mexico and Canada for slaughter.

How did this happen?

Because of pressure from livestock lobbyists, and from many powerful pro-slaughter horse organizations like the American Quarter Horse Association (AQHA), a member of the "Unwanted Horse Coalition," whose membership consists of a majority of these pro-slaughter groups.

... According to the US Dept of Agriculture, over 92% of horses slaughtered are actually in "good condition."

That's perhaps the greatest tragedy and misunderstanding regarding horse slaughter. The majority are not old or lame horses going to slaughter: pregnant mares, Premarin foals, wild horses, polo ponies, recreations horses, and even one Kentucky Derby winner's life ended at a slaughterhouse.

Front Range Equine Rescue is determined to see the elimination of a horse slaughter and its literally working in the trenches to do so. I urge you to help us by contacting you two US Senators directly are (202) 224-2121, or you can visit our website to sign online petition."

Here is the Derby Winner that was killed in a slaughterhouse:

http://www.championsgallery.com/Ferdinand.jpg
^picture of him racing

ESPN - From Derby winner to a slaughterhouse? - Horse Racing
Is this the bill that would also prosecute the owners of horses if the owner is aware that whoever they are selling the horse to might send it to slaughter?
     
    10-16-2008, 06:15 PM
  #6
Showing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermane    
I'm definitely for euthanasia rather than slaughter. Americans have such a phobia of actually getting it done, but it's much more humane thing to do.
True, but euthanasia cost between $250 and $500. Taking a horse to an auction gets you about $75. An owner who can't care for his horse, certainly can't afford the cost so what do you do for them?
     
    10-17-2008, 03:10 AM
  #7
Yearling
Im pro-slaughter, I will always have my pets and other animals well being at heart. But the horses that end up there are sent there for a reason, may it be poor breeding,lame,crazy,dangerous,someone who can't care for it or can't find it a better home. I think the waiting and care for the horses is awfull, but spending 48 hours in a over crouded muddy padock vrs a lifetime of neglect and starvation. Id rather see the suffering end not everyone can rescue each horse. Since the market took a dive our WA rescues expect to see more horses this year then ever before. How are they going to care for ALL those horses? They can't live off of donations forever...

I agree that they should not be shipped out of the you.S and that they should change the way the are "putting the horses down". I know they now use a metal rod that is shot out by compressed air and pulls back in its barrel, they use it for cows. It saves on bullets, its fast, and efficiant.
     
    10-24-2008, 06:40 PM
  #8
Foal
That is insane that a derby winner was slaughtered - some little kid would have taken him!!!!
     
    10-28-2008, 03:41 PM
  #9
Yearling
The problem most people have is the fact that they are called slaughter houses. When you hear slaughter you think, chopping bloody nasty gross.

One definition of slaughter is: to kill in a brutal or violent manner.

That doesn't sound very nice. Horses are never really "slaughtered" that badly though. It's not the most humane thing to do but its not brutal or violent, nailing a horse in the head with a rod to make it unconscious is not always the best method, they sometimes don't always knock them out the first try making it incredibly mean for that, but the next step is bleeding them out. The horses don't feel any of the pain once they are knocked, and bleeding them out enough to kill them is done VERY quickly by severing the jugular vein and corroded artery, which is what they do. It is horrible to think of.

Euthanasia should be what they do, they should be called something like Equine Population Control Center.

Its not like the horses are starved or without water the men get paid by the pound, if those horses lose weight, they lose money, but they aren't treated very well, they are banged around and thrown here and throw there.

I'm not saying they are good, but unfortunately, owners that can't afford to keep their horses anylonger and have made poor choices, make the horse suffer. If they don't have a place to put them all because they are sick, injured, or untrained for whatever reason, when they don't sell they end up starving them or abandoning them if they have high numbers because they panic.

It's almost like, your ****ed if you do and ****ed if you don't!
     
    11-01-2008, 08:31 PM
  #10
Deb
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby    
The problem most people have is the fact that they are called slaughter houses. When you hear slaughter you think, chopping bloody nasty gross.

One definition of slaughter is: to kill in a brutal or violent manner.

That doesn't sound very nice. Horses are never really "slaughtered" that badly though. It's not the most humane thing to do but its not brutal or violent, nailing a horse in the head with a rod to make it unconscious is not always the best method, they sometimes don't always knock them out the first try making it incredibly mean for that, but the next step is bleeding them out. The horses don't feel any of the pain once they are knocked, and bleeding them out enough to kill them is done VERY quickly by severing the jugular vein and corroded artery, which is what they do. It is horrible to think of.

Euthanasia should be what they do, they should be called something like Equine Population Control Center.

Its not like the horses are starved or without water the men get paid by the pound, if those horses lose weight, they lose money, but they aren't treated very well, they are banged around and thrown here and throw there.

I'm not saying they are good, but unfortunately, owners that can't afford to keep their horses anylonger and have made poor choices, make the horse suffer. If they don't have a place to put them all because they are sick, injured, or untrained for whatever reason, when they don't sell they end up starving them or abandoning them if they have high numbers because they panic.

It's almost like, your ****ed if you do and ****ed if you don't!
People are very naive if they think it is not violent or brutal. And shippers do not stop to offload animals for food and water. Time is money. Horses arrive at the slaughterhouse in a weakened and sometimes injured state, some unable to walk off on their own. The internet is amazing in it's content. For example there is this video about horse slaughter.


As far as euthenizing with a shot, I've seen it down to a horse that severely colicked. It was quick, taking only moments, and it was peaceful. I had my little dog euthenized in January. The worst part was the vet putting the needle in her little leg, then less then a minute later, she sighed and was gone. Anyone who tells you it takes an hour and is painful because it is a potent "poison" is full of baloney.
     

Thread Tools



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0