Disturbing Film - "Earthlings" - Page 5
   

       The Horse Forum > Horse Resources > Horse Protection

Disturbing Film - "Earthlings"

This is a discussion on Disturbing Film - "Earthlings" within the Horse Protection forums, part of the Horse Resources category

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        01-01-2010, 10:39 PM
      #41
    Trained
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by roro    
    Agreed, especially about the leather. People don't realize that leather cows are separate from meat cows, the hides of meat cows are thrown away. Many people also do not realize that dairy cows have overall worse lives than meat cows- meat cows are often in open air pens while dairy cows are kept inside in stalls. I eat meat because it is within my right to. As long as the slaughterhouses are well-run then there isn't any problem with it.
    None of that is true. I worked in a slaughter plant for 9 years and let me tell you they use things you don't even know are in a cow. ALL the hides are saved and there is no such thing as a "leather" cow. Dairy cows are gennerally housed in open pens with narrow stalls that a cow can go in and lay down then stand up and back out of. They are in open pens and can move around as much as needed. I'm glad you eat meat but make sure what you are not perpetuating ignorance.
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        01-01-2010, 11:42 PM
      #42
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kevinshorses    
    None of that is true. I worked in a slaughter plant for 9 years and let me tell you they use things you don't even know are in a cow. ALL the hides are saved and there is no such thing as a "leather" cow. Dairy cows are gennerally housed in open pens with narrow stalls that a cow can go in and lay down then stand up and back out of. They are in open pens and can move around as much as needed. I'm glad you eat meat but make sure what you are not perpetuating ignorance.
    Well I would hate to disagree with you but these are the things I have observed, not things I have made up in order to anger others. We live in two different lives and have seen very different things, perhaps I am not the only one who is ignorant.
         
        01-01-2010, 11:46 PM
      #43
    Started
    Shannon, A vegetarian is someone who eats eggs, dairy and seafood. A vegan doesn't eat any of that. Secondly, eggs, unless they're fertile, aren't baby chickens. And no one if forcing you to become one, or are they asking you to.
         
        01-02-2010, 12:46 AM
      #44
    Yearling
    Meat is good, and as humans we are scientifically proven to be omnivores. We've been hunting and eating meat forever! Therefor, I feel it's essential, as compared to having to buy and invest a ton of money in vitamins and other sources to get your proteins, etc. Being vegetarian/organic is EXPENSIVE, and not everyone (me included!) can afford it.

    In a perfect world we would have free range chickens for meat and eggs, cows that could leisurely graze in wide open pastures until their day comes, pigs that could root for whatever they pleased, etc. Unfortunately, the world is not perfect and unfortunately there's not enough power out there to yank the leash on Congress to make them hear "Hey, we want humane slaughtering methods!"
         
        01-02-2010, 12:57 AM
      #45
    Trained
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by roro    
    Well I would hate to disagree with you but these are the things I have observed, not things I have made up in order to anger others. We live in two different lives and have seen very different things, perhaps I am not the only one who is ignorant.
    We are living on two different planets if you think there are cows raised solely for thier hides.
         
        01-02-2010, 01:03 AM
      #46
    Foal
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kevinshorses    
    None of that is true. I worked in a slaughter plant for 9 years and let me tell you they use things you don't even know are in a cow. ALL the hides are saved and there is no such thing as a "leather" cow. Dairy cows are gennerally housed in open pens with narrow stalls that a cow can go in and lay down then stand up and back out of. They are in open pens and can move around as much as needed. I'm glad you eat meat but make sure what you are not perpetuating ignorance.
    I was watching a show, (Dirty Jobs on Discovery Channel) it was about a company or state runned or funded group that went out to pick up dead farm animals that died from natural causes, they save the hides for leather and grind up the rest of the animal for make up, sometimes save the hoofs for geletin, and a ton of other uses. The rest of the body is also used for chicken food, dog food, pig food (they process the cow and make it into a liquid and heat it). I don't know how many places do this, but no part of the cow is unused!

    Dirty Jobs: Skinning a Cow : Video : Discovery Channel
         
        01-02-2010, 12:00 PM
      #47
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Equestriun    
    Shannon, A vegetarian is someone who eats eggs, dairy and seafood. A vegan doesn't eat any of that. Secondly, eggs, unless they're fertile, aren't baby chickens. And no one if forcing you to become one, or are they asking you to.
    I respectfully disagree. If you think about it, wouldn't it make sense that a vegetarian is someone/something that eats vegetation? Like, fruits and vegetables. I honestly don't see how you can't classify seafood as meat...


    Also, about dairy farming - I think I can talk first hand on this. The range of care for dairy and meat cows varies greatly. Around here, most beef cows are free-range, grass-fed, never-come-inside-to-be-bothered animals. Sounds pretty dang happy to me. But this is far different from the massive feedlots in places like California. Now, dairy farming - I work on two different farms. One of them, a small family farm milking around 50 cows treats their animals like dirt. Some of them have broken or over-grown hooves, huge hematomas without vet attention, lacerations, beat and scared the crap out of. This is why I'm working on quitting this job. The other farm, a bigger farm milking over 200 cows. Their feet are trimmed regularily, cuts stitched up, stalls bedded twice a week, employees reprimanded for beating or screaming at cows, etc. So you see, there is no standard of care. So to say that ALL these cows are treated poorly is just not fair to the farmers who actually care about their animals.
         
        01-02-2010, 12:36 PM
      #48
    Foal
    The movie was very disturbing. But I am a meat eater. I don't think I could ever not be a meat eater. I like it too much. But I treat my animals with respect. Heck, they got it better than me. Hehehe...

    The odd thing about this video is that they compared specism with racism and sexism. It's a little odd to be doing that. Especially when their sexism argument was about women getting the right to vote. Did anyone else find that a little weird? How was that a bad thing?
         
        01-02-2010, 12:41 PM
      #49
    Foal
    The only real way to get better treatment for animals is to regulate the **** out of it...which is a policital agenda. There is no way that you becoming a vegetarian or vegan will stop the harsh treatment of animals. Laws need to be made and enforced for any kind of difference to be made.
         
        01-02-2010, 01:10 PM
      #50
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JadedEyes    
    The only real way to get better treatment for animals is to regulate the **** out of it...which is a policital agenda. There is no way that you becoming a vegetarian or vegan will stop the harsh treatment of animals. Laws need to be made and enforced for any kind of difference to be made.
    Exactly.
         

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    My "gelding" a "stud"? My2Geldings Horse Talk 22 03-26-2009 12:55 PM
    16.5" "The Liberty" DK MonoFlap Jumping Saddle - CUSTOM TO FIT ANY HORSE! EhLysa Tack and Equipment Classifieds 0 11-01-2008 07:47 PM
    17" Eng Saddle, Qrtr Sheet, 40" girth, Draw Reins Amanda7289 Tack and Equipment Classifieds 4 10-15-2008 04:57 PM
    "My pony and me" by "Don West" Barbarosa Horse Stories and Poems 1 07-21-2008 08:03 PM
    Blingee Order -view prior post "More Neat Blingees" BluMagic Horse Artwork 3 01-01-2008 05:17 PM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:22 AM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0