Freeze brands and microchipping...
   

       The Horse Forum > Horse Resources > Horse Protection

Freeze brands and microchipping...

This is a discussion on Freeze brands and microchipping... within the Horse Protection forums, part of the Horse Resources category
  • Pictures of freeze brands on horses
  • Pennsylvania freeze brand

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    10-15-2009, 08:27 AM
  #1
Started
Freeze brands and microchipping...

I just read this article about 5 horses being stolen right from their pasture last month:

Deputies search for group that stole five horses from Seffner pasture - St. Petersburg Times

Seffner (where the horses were stolen):


Dover (where my horses are):


There was also a horse stolen from Lithia, which is very close as well.



The horse trailer that was seen leaving with the 5 stolen horses was seen in Miami-Dade... Where 17 horses have been stolen and slaughtered this year.

So... I'm FREAKED out. My mare is kept in a pasture all night, and the pasture is right next to a road.


Anyway... I want to get my mare freeze branded and microchipped. Who do I call to do it? How do I get the brand registered?
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    10-15-2009, 09:13 AM
  #2
Showing
When I lived in PA and registered my brand, I contacted the Dept. Of Ag. And they sent me the forms needed. I had a freeze brand made and the vet did the branding. My vet down here in SC can and does micro chips.

I've been reading, lately, about theft and slaughter in FL. I would be very up tight about the safety of my horses. I would consider putting an alarm system on the gate to my pasture if possible or something!
     
    10-15-2009, 08:15 PM
  #3
Started
Quote:
Originally Posted by iridehorses    
When I lived in PA and registered my brand, I contacted the Dept. Of Ag. And they sent me the forms needed. I had a freeze brand made and the vet did the branding. My vet down here in SC can and does micro chips.

I've been reading, lately, about theft and slaughter in FL. I would be very up tight about the safety of my horses. I would consider putting an alarm system on the gate to my pasture if possible or something!

The front gate already has a code box.... But I've heard that they've been cutting down fences and everything.

I talked to my BOs today and they made me feel way better. They told me that most of the thefts have been happening to private owners with only one or two horses. They don't seem to think that they would target a big boarding barn. Also, they've been there for forty years and know EVERYBODY in the area. If somebody saw something, they would definitely hear about it.

Thanks for the help!
     
    10-15-2009, 09:18 PM
  #4
Banned
I know EXACTLY how you feel! I always felt so bad hearing about that stuff in Miami, and then when it happened in our backyard it was very scary. THANKFULLY they caught the guys. I know my boy is on night turn out, and that was my one worry....that he's in a pasture all by himself, and he trailers absolutely perfect!

Where are you in Dover? Haha I'm at Dover Oaks.

The one thing that I realized would probably save me is that Ice has a lip tattoo. I still am looking in to getting him microchipped.
     
    10-15-2009, 09:26 PM
  #5
Started
Quote:
Originally Posted by justsambam08    
I know EXACTLY how you feel! I always felt so bad hearing about that stuff in Miami, and then when it happened in our backyard it was very scary. THANKFULLY they caught the guys. I know my boy is on night turn out, and that was my one worry....that he's in a pasture all by himself, and he trailers absolutely perfect!

Where are you in Dover? Haha I'm at Dover Oaks.

The one thing that I realized would probably save me is that Ice has a lip tattoo.
Yeah, same with my mare. Luckily I've NEVER seen a horse that looks like her.

That's so funny! I'm at Sunrise Horse Farms on Sydney Washer. Do you ever ride on the Sydney Dover Trails?
     
    10-17-2009, 07:38 PM
  #6
dee
Started
Many years ago, someone tried to steal our horses out of the pasture. They bit off a bit more than they could chew - my husband's horse wasn't very good with strangers and ran back out their reach and was screaming his dang fool head off. My mare had loading issues at the time and they couldn't get her loaded. The pony was already in the trailer (they left the back gate open and she loves to ride!) when my husband and I heard the commotion.

The would-be thieves tried to drive off, but the left the back gate of the trailer open and it got hung up on a tree stump. They wound up yanking the back gate off and pony jumped out at about the same time (too much noise for her), and they drove off down the road with no back gate on the trailer. I put the horses up and called the sheriff while hubby fixed the fence where they cut it. It wasn't too hard for the deputy to locate and identify the trailer since it was so torn up. The guys were arrested and pled guilty - they had apparently been stealing horses and cattle for quite some time! I honestly don't see how they kept getting away with it - they were none to bright!
     
    10-17-2009, 07:48 PM
  #7
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by CloudsMystique    
Yeah, same with my mare. Luckily I've NEVER seen a horse that looks like her.

That's so funny! I'm at Sunrise Horse Farms on Sydney Washer. Do you ever ride on the Sydney Dover Trails?
Not yet, I'm trying to coordinate my work schedule so I can go out next time the group heads out from my barn. But its maybe a ten minute ride, we're right up on Salem Church, I just don't want to go out alone until I know Ice won't fight with me about it.

I looked at Sunrise when I was looking for places to board, but it was so expensive!
     
    10-17-2009, 11:20 PM
  #8
Started
Quote:
Originally Posted by dee    
Many years ago, someone tried to steal our horses out of the pasture. They bit off a bit more than they could chew - my husband's horse wasn't very good with strangers and ran back out their reach and was screaming his dang fool head off. My mare had loading issues at the time and they couldn't get her loaded. The pony was already in the trailer (they left the back gate open and she loves to ride!) when my husband and I heard the commotion.

The would-be thieves tried to drive off, but the left the back gate of the trailer open and it got hung up on a tree stump. They wound up yanking the back gate off and pony jumped out at about the same time (too much noise for her), and they drove off down the road with no back gate on the trailer. I put the horses up and called the sheriff while hubby fixed the fence where they cut it. It wasn't too hard for the deputy to locate and identify the trailer since it was so torn up. The guys were arrested and pled guilty - they had apparently been stealing horses and cattle for quite some time! I honestly don't see how they kept getting away with it - they were none to bright!
That's scary! You guys were really lucky.


Quote:
Originally Posted by justsambam08    
Not yet, I'm trying to coordinate my work schedule so I can go out next time the group heads out from my barn. But its maybe a ten minute ride, we're right up on Salem Church, I just don't want to go out alone until I know Ice won't fight with me about it.

I looked at Sunrise when I was looking for places to board, but it was so expensive!
Oh, awesome. I ride there almost every day : ]

And yeah, it's pretty expensive, but it's so worth it. It's a really nice place.
     
    10-18-2009, 01:01 PM
  #9
Yearling
I live around Orlando. I havnt heard of any horses being stolen in our area but I have considered getting Duchess microchipped. (I hate brands) Sadly, I think most of the horses stolen are slaughtered and I don't think a microchip would prevent that. =/
     
    10-19-2009, 05:32 PM
  #10
Chat Moderator
The weakness of microchips is that can only be read with a certain type of gun and will the right people have that gun. Whille a brand either a freeze brand or the old fashion a hot brand can be seen and easily read by almost anyone.
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is it normal for an arabian to have a freeze brand on the right side of his neck? Arab123 Horse Breeds 18 11-14-2010 12:21 AM
does anybody know these brands? QHDragon Horse Tack and Equipment 15 08-29-2009 01:18 PM
Pictures of your horses freeze marks jadeewood Horse Pictures 6 07-05-2009 06:19 AM
Brands xx chico Horse Talk 4 03-24-2009 03:49 PM
Brands ninasocks Horse Breeding 1 01-19-2009 08:14 AM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0