Originally Posted by G8tdh0rse
The ones I have assisted with went quick and easy. That is the goal which ever way it is done. My vet gives an agent that puts the horse to sleep like the stuff they give you in surgery, then he gives an agent that stops the heart. There is no poison to contaminate anything.
Anesthesia IS poisonous, G8td. I don't know who's been telling you otherwise. It's chemicals that are used to KILL an animal, for crying out loud!
If you use them and leave the animal out for wildlife to eat, you're contaminating and killing a hell of lot more than just your horse.
If you want 'nature to take its course', then shoot the horse in the head and don't
pump it full of chemicals and kill off the indigenous wildlife along with it.
Even if YOU didn't know it, your vet sure as hell should have known better!