To help fight Horse Slaughter please read - Page 3
   

       The Horse Forum > Horse Resources > Horse Protection

To help fight Horse Slaughter please read

This is a discussion on To help fight Horse Slaughter please read within the Horse Protection forums, part of the Horse Resources category
  • Horse slaughter
  • American quarter horse association fuels horse slaughter

Like Tree46Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    01-01-2012, 03:36 PM
  #21
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildhorsemoon    
I am on one side you are on the other, we will not come to an agreement, I think that is something we can all agree on.
If the whole world thought like this, the world would be a worse place than it already is
I've got a lot to add, but not to someone who believes, as you do, that there is no debate, no compromising, and
Most importantly
no truth but your own. ;)
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    01-01-2012, 04:04 PM
  #22
Foal
This is one subject I am on one side of, you are on the other. I find it interesting you so judge me because I stand firmly in my thoughts on this. Give me an argument I can believe in and I do have an open mind. Its just that I do a lot of research, A lot of reading, a lot of studying different sources.
If I had wanted to debate this, I would do that.... not my intent here. I know a lot about this subject, not born yesterday with some overly emotional reaction. Working with the facts, you give me nothing concrete to change my mind, yet I am close minded, I make the world a worse place....is it any wonder I would not feel welcome here. You don't know me at all..... Talk about close minded.... that would be this group. Condescending - is the one word I would and will use to describe you { not all, I realize there are a few nice people here} but don't jump on me for the same thing you are doing.

With that , I won't be back, save your typing. This is a waste of time and energy.
     
    01-01-2012, 04:29 PM
  #23
Green Broke
^^^ wow...most of us on here can respectfully debate with each other for pages on end....and you get butt hurt over a couple of posts?
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    01-01-2012, 05:02 PM
  #24
Started
As for respectful debate,there has been one debate after another on these forums.Most people are on one or the other sides of the fence,Like politics or religion that people have strong views on. People seem to not be very respectful of others opinions in such topics.As for your original post I see how you were trying to be generic & just steer people to the link,not looking for debate but once you start accusing big respected horse organizations like AQHA of propaganda you just added that fuel to a fire,I as one found comment disrespectful/rude..
     
    01-01-2012, 05:05 PM
  #25
Trained
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintedpastures    
As for respectful debate,there has been one debate after another on these forums.Most people are on one or the other sides of the fence,Like politics or religion that people have strong views on. People seem to not be very respectful of others opinions in such topics.As for your original post I see how you were trying to be generic & just steer people to the link,not looking for debate but once you start accusing big respected horse organizations like AQHA of propaganda you just added that fuel to a fire,I as one found comment disrespectful/rude..
Let alone calling them a "puppy mill".......
     
    01-01-2012, 05:26 PM
  #26
Green Broke
When I was speaking about debating it wasn't limited to the slaughter debate, I was generalizing. Bubba and I debated for 9 pages about horse roping without being rude to each other. Lol!

And far as the AQHA being a puppy mill, I believe the Quarter Horse is the most popular breed in the US...of course there is a lot horses being bred...this doesn't seem to be rocket science to me.
Posted via Mobile Device
Roperchick likes this.
     
    01-01-2012, 05:27 PM
  #27
Showing
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildhorsemoon    
You don't know me at all..... Talk about close minded.... that would be this group.
Um.....pot, meet kettle.

My first post may have sounded a bit "short" and for that, I apologize, but the fact is, a simple search (or just 2 minutes of browsing) would have turned up how many posts about this exact same thing...10, 15, 50? That way, you wouldn't have been caught completely off guard by the reaction.

I can appreciate that you want to stand up for something that you believe in, but there is absolutely no call to get all snooty and whiny when people don't just flock to support you. Contrary to what you seem to believe, many of us actually live in the horse world, we are surrounded by horses, we see firsthand what happens to the market when the plants close, BYB's keep breeding, and there is a drought that drives hay prices into the clouds.

When the market goes to crap and nobody can afford to buy the horses, you can't afford to feed them, the rescues (if you happen to have any in your area, which I don't) are full, and nobody even wants to take a horse for free because they can't afford to feed it either, what happens to the horse then? They are left to starve in their pasture, they are hauled to the suburbs of some town/city and dumped in the hopes that someone will pick them up and take care of them, or they are hauled to auction where many go to slaughter.

I've got several at my house right now that would have been on someone's plate had I not taken them in. Can you say the same? I do what I can to help the horses I am able to help.

That means taking in a foal I didn't want and feeding him for 3 years, spending hundreds on a surgery that his first owner should have taken care of, and taking the time to put quality training on him just so he hopefully won't be shipped to slaughter when it comes time to sell him.

Taking in a horse that is only sound for light riding because his owners have no use for him and don't want to keep him even though they have plenty of land to turn him out on. He's a nice horse but who wants to buy a horse they know won't be 100% sound? Where would he end up?

Taking in a pretty much unbroke 7 year old ugly, pregnant draft mare just so her owner wouldn't ship her to auction? How many people want a 2000 pound animal who's only good quality is that she's sort-of halter broke? Oh, BTW, she's 10 months pregnant by a QH stud so you're getting 2 horses for the price of one...

Or, how about the horse that I was given by a customer. He's a gorgeous, registered gelding...that is guaranteed to buck your ass off every time you try to ride him. No amount of vet checks or working his ass off will get him to stop bucking. Who is going to want him? I can't afford to keep him for the next 20 years and feed him. Do you want him? I'll give him to you for free, but you will end up hurt if you try to ride him.

There are too many horses for a limited number of homes. Stupid people will keep breeding their fugly mares for "kyoot babbies" or "she's a sweetie but she's getting old and I want a part of her after she's gone" or "well, I just didn't think that the 2 year old stud was old enough to breed all those 10-15 mares he was turned out with". People breed horses that have either a limited market or no market at all and other people go out and buy those poor, unfortunate, crippled/sick things to "save" or "rescue" them while good saddle horses are being sold for pennies per pound.

Until people, in general, smarten up about the whole thing, slaughter is pretty much the only option.

As for people breeding horses solely for slaughter...people already do. They keep their fugly arapintaloosapercheron stud out with their inbred morganquarterpaint mares and let them keep breeding and breeding and breeding and breeding even though they can't feed the ones they already have. I'm pretty sure if you can't afford to feed 3, then doubling or tripling your head count won't make the feed bill smaller so once every couple of years, they pack as many as they can into a trailer and just dump them at the local auction house. They don't bother to cut the stud, they just keep up the cycle of having foals and then hauling yearlings/2 and 3 year olds that are nothing but skin and bone to auctions.

At least if horses were cared for like cattle that are slaughter bound, where the whole point is to keep them fat and healthy, I wouldn't have nearly as big a problem with it.

And with my rant over with, I'm done here.
     
    01-01-2012, 05:34 PM
  #28
Green Broke
^^^ Amen!
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    01-01-2012, 08:27 PM
  #29
Green Broke
Quote:
Originally Posted by usandpets    
Wow. Another thread against slaughter. Don't see much support coming from this site.
Posted via Mobile Device
To th OP (if you are still on here): My appologies if you were offended. My post was made in a state of drunken stupor, it was New Years Eve after all.

Even though I would be classified in the pro-slaughter group, I don't necessarily want it to happen. In a perfect world, there would be no slaughter but there would be no overabundance of horses either.

I've not bought into the slaughter side because of big corps. Or AQHA and such telling me to. I chose it because I see it as a useful means. Yes it may be inhumane and cruel but what slaughter isn't?

I don't want my horses to end up there but if they are at they end of their time, instead of letting them rot out in a pasture a slow death, why not let them do a service one last time? Let something good come from their death. They could help feed someone or something. If you look back in history at the native Americans, when they killed an animal, namely buffallo, they used every part of the animal. They didn't waste any

There are many horses that do go to slaughter before their time is up but they are unwanted horses because of the overabundance of them.

Why is it so important to ban horse slaughter in the US? Is anyone trying to stop it in Canada and Mexico? What about any other countries?

Not trying to change your view, just stating mine.
Roperchick likes this.
     
    01-01-2012, 08:49 PM
  #30
Super Moderator
Quote:
Originally Posted by usandpets    
To th OP (if you are still on here): My appologies if you were offended. My post was made in a state of drunken stupor, it was New Years Eve after all.

You mean the forum's breathalize test didn't stop you from posting in an inebriated state?
usandpets likes this.
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ban Horse Slaughter in US trinasugar33 Horse Protection 54 12-24-2011 03:43 AM
Getting slightly frustrated/feel like all i do is fight with my horse phoenix English Riding 4 03-23-2011 07:39 AM
Horse slaughter..?? ShadowSpazzz Horse Health 34 08-19-2010 09:07 PM
Horse slaughter please read!!! ayeshaqureshi00 Horse Protection 11 07-18-2008 05:07 AM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0