I love HSUS. - Page 6 - The Horse Forum

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #51 of 171 Old 11-01-2009, 10:21 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: N.W. Ohio
Posts: 5,344
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by alli09 View Post
Just because I believe that some people in PETA have good intentions and they are nothing like the people that are going out and causing harm, does not mean that I support them. And yes, I have a pit bull that I got from a pit bull rescue and I have 2 cats that I got from the OHS.As for volunteering, I don't really have time right now.
That is great that you take in rescue animals. I have several my self and they make great companion animals.

As for PETA. Yes I am sure that at some level there are people who have good intentions. However the people who drive the organization at the highest levels only have their intentions in mind.

I have found over the years that the ones who boast the loudest about something are the ones who do not follow what they advocate.

Here is an example and I will not use names. I use to Drive Entertainer buses for years. One of the performers I had on for a tour was a big environmentalist. He did all kinds of interviews on how we needed to do this and that to save the planet. Back then it was not global warming but global cooling. Anyway after all his big talk you know what he did every night after the show??? He climbed on his PRIVET air plane and flew home and then the next day he climbed in his PRIVET air plane and flew to the next city. His bus that he leased with the big privet room ran empty to every city. Ya really good ha?????????????

-I'm so busy... I don't know if I found a rope or lost my horse.
-An Armed Man is a Citizen an unarmed man is a subject.
-Where ever free speech is stifled Tyranny will reign.
nrhareiner is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #52 of 171 Old 11-02-2009, 12:41 AM
Started
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 2,475
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by alli09 View Post
this wasn't suppose to turn into a debate, but they made it that way.
It wasn't?

Pg 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by alli09 View Post
too bad.**** I can't have a good debate on here without anyone burning me in some way.

PLEASE CLOSE THIS TOPIC!

Pg 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by alli09 View Post
nah, I'm done on here.and what fun would a debate be with a anti-slaughter.

I want to have a 'fun' debate.Not one where they go for things about me personally.
LadyDreamer is offline  
post #53 of 171 Old 11-02-2009, 12:16 PM
Showing
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Just south of sanity
Posts: 16,227
• Horses: 3
Alli doesn't want to debate, she just wants everyone to agree with her.

A debate, little girl, is a civilized argument between two parties with differing viewpoints. You need to research and get your facts straight, in order to debate your opponent.

If all you want is to be told, "Oh yeah! Horsey slaughter is icky-poo, and the HSUS is great!", that's not a debate. That's just having everyone agree with your point of view.

Ignorance of the law is not an excuse. Ask any judge in any courtroom across the country. There is no such thing as an ignorance defense.

California has not outlawed horse slaughter, nor have they outlawed personal consumption of horses. What they have made illegal is the sale of horses to kill buyers. A law without teeth, because there's no way to enforce it. The lawmakers put it on the books to appease the rabid, anti-slaughter advocates, knowing it was unenforceable.

How old are you, anyway? If you're older than 15, shame on you for being so naive and ignorant of the laws of the land. If you're 15 or under, then you're just a child reacting emotionally, and can be excused while the adults speak.
Speed Racer is offline  
post #54 of 171 Old 11-02-2009, 12:48 PM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Pickton, TX
Posts: 555
• Horses: 3
I usually don't agree with Alli, but it is illegal to consume horses in California. Cali is the only state to have such a ridiculous law among other things...
Criminal Law. Prohibition on Slaughter of Horses and Sale of Horsemeat for Human Consumption.
Crimsonhorse01 is offline  
post #55 of 171 Old 11-02-2009, 12:57 PM
Showing
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Just south of sanity
Posts: 16,227
• Horses: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimsonhorse01 View Post
I usually don't agree with Alli, but it is illegal to consume horses in California. Cali is the only state to have such a ridiculous law among other things...
Criminal Law. Prohibition on Slaughter of Horses and Sale of Horsemeat for Human Consumption.

I knew about the CA law disallowing the sale of horses to slaughter, but not that they'd also outlawed personal consumption, so thank you for correcting me Crimson.

California's full of lovely scenery, but is also full of fruits and nuts who don't have a clue how the rest of the country lives. Unfortunately, they also want to shove their beliefs and opinions down our throats, instead of agreeing to disagree.
Speed Racer is offline  
post #56 of 171 Old 11-02-2009, 01:20 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: modesto california/originally from portland oregon.
Posts: 158
• Horses: 0
again, this was just showing how I like what HSUS was saying, but people had to turn it into a debate. I'm not trying to force my beliefs on anybody.You would know if I was.If I was I would be like you all should become vegan because... and this is why I think you should all agree with me. And I am not a fruit or a nut.I am just a compassionate person.

Let us touch the dying, the poor, the lonely and the unwanted according to the graces we have received and let us not be ashamed or slow to do the humble work.
alli09 is offline  
post #57 of 171 Old 11-02-2009, 01:22 PM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: TN
Posts: 744
• Horses: 4
Also for the history thing (post #21). Horses were hunted before they were domesticated. They were hunted even before they got as large as they now are.

Remains Show Ancient Horses Were Hunted for Their Meat

Prehistoric North Americans Hunted, Butchered Horses

"For most of human history, horses were seen as prey to be hunted for sustenance. During the late Pleistocene, around 55,000 years ago, Neanderthals scavenged off of horse carcasses and made occasional kills of their own. The upper Paleolithic, 35,000-10,000 years ago, marked the arrival of fully modern humans with considerable linguistic capabilities and increasingly complex weaponry. At this time, evidence for communal hunting can be found in Solutre in east-central France where 32,000-100,000 horses were killed at a communal hunting site (Olsen, 43-44). Furthermore, recent studies have shown that human predation may have been a major factor causing the near extinction of the species. In North America, both hunting pressures and climate changes at the end of the Ice Age caused the extinction of 35 genera of megafauna (mammoths, mastodons, stagmoose, giant elk, saber-toothed tigers, and equines). Horses would not return to North America until Columbus brought domesticated herds in his second voyage in 1494 (Budiansky, 40)."

SmoothTrails is offline  
post #58 of 171 Old 11-02-2009, 01:46 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: N.W. Ohio
Posts: 5,344
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by alli09 View Post
again, this was just showing how I like what HSUS was saying, but people had to turn it into a debate. I'm not trying to force my beliefs on anybody.You would know if I was.If I was I would be like you all should become vegan because... and this is why I think you should all agree with me. And I am not a fruit or a nut.I am just a compassionate person.

The thing is that what you seem to believe and what the HSUS is putting out there is just propaganda and not based at all in truth. If you are going to support an organization you need to make sure that the info they are putting out there is indeed fact and not just propaganda to make people feel bad or wrong about something.

-I'm so busy... I don't know if I found a rope or lost my horse.
-An Armed Man is a Citizen an unarmed man is a subject.
-Where ever free speech is stifled Tyranny will reign.
nrhareiner is offline  
post #59 of 171 Old 11-02-2009, 02:22 PM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Posts: 16,287
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by alli09 View Post
I mean they aren't livestock in the 'slaughter' part of it all.The only reason they are being slaughtered is because of overbreeding.

No, they are being slaughtered because people like the taste. There is a huge QH ranch between Montrose and Grand Junction Colo. That breeds horses specifically to be shipped to europe for the food market. They are really nice, healthy horses. There are also horse breeds in Europe that were developed as "meat" breeds.

I'm sure the people get upset about any animal slaughtered. While we have a special affinity for horses, we need to acknowledge that they aren't just companions to everyone. If slaughter is to be done (to ANY animal) it should be humane and quick. We owe them that much.
Allison Finch is offline  
post #60 of 171 Old 11-02-2009, 03:11 PM
Lis
Yearling
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: I live in rainy England
Posts: 879
• Horses: 0
Horses were first used as meat animals then we realised we could use them for transport. You're moaning that people are slamming your "facts" and saying you don't want a debate but then saying you do want a debate. Make up your mind then come back and debate.
Horses are slaughtered because people like the taste but in Britain there has never been much of a market for horse meat, one theory is that we are one of the few countries in the world to have a horse goddess which dates back to the Celtic times so it is an ancestral memory like Indians don't eat beef.

Eagles may soar but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
Lis is offline  
Closed Thread

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I love Drafts But Love The Belgian Breed The Most Belgian Lover Horse Breeds 6 03-01-2007 05:36 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome