This is a very long story. I will try to summarize the best I can. If there's anything you don't understand, or need clarified, I'll do the best I can.
On March 28, 2012, I broke down and drove to Oklahoma to buy a pony. I'd been watching her ad on craigslist for 3 months. Old, half blind, pony, when they tossed in the word auction I was done for. I paid $200. And renamed her Luvy.
The left eye had sunk in to the point the lashes were turned under and began to brush against the eye. The eye had no sight but did have pain. We decided to remove the eye.
I will spare you the pics of the surgery. Here she is basically healed.
When I was loading her in the trailer, the people informed me that their stallion had "gotten to her".
When her teeth were floated the vet guessed her at right around 20, there are no signs of her having foaled before.
So often people struggle to get pregnancies in their mares. But then there are the oops babies from one breeding. With all her issues, I was hoping but did finally get her checked to find that she was, indeed, in foal.
After tons of soul searching and meeting a young lady that seemed to click with Belle. I decided to give Belle to the girl (young woman, she is 20).
Things went off when she moved to New York. Still talking about Belle, now called Prada, and how she looked forward to the future. She already had/has a mare that might need to be retired in the next 4 to 5 years. M is from New York and the horses would be living at her Mom's farm. The trip was a breeze, great updates, until.
Prada was given to a friend with cancer as therapy. I am feeling all those things about how when you sell or give away a horse you have no say. She is not mine. I have to say that I missed her even more than I thought I would.
Recently M moved back to Kansas. No updates in a while so, I sent a message.
The story is that M heard the cancer friend wants to "get rid of" Prada because every time she works with her she gets hurt. My Belle is a very laid back filly that takes everything in stride. I have to wonder what is being done that this filly is now exhibiting an unsafe behavior.
M said that she sent a friend over to get the filly and now the "psychotic bwitch" (M's words) is demanding $300.
I was stunned. I would buy Prada, but she's in New Yok and I'm in Kansas. M said she is going to NY to get her mare after she and hubby get a house in the country. She could bring her with her. OK, I offer the $300. Plus another $100. As a start towards Prada's care.
The response is that her friend, the one she sent over in the first place I guess, doesn't have any room to board her.
Does anybody know of a place that would give us temporary sanctuary in the are of Buffalo, New York?
I have a lot of confusion here. I just wish I could go myself! I hate not knowing so much and not being able to do anything!!
OK-and you are the one on HT that I have wanted to reply to for 3 days, but the admins have yet to approve or whatever-my membership so that I can post.
First of all, Appleton, nor Lockport, are "north Buffalo" as someone has said. Lockport is likely your best bet to get help. However-I will suggest that you first try to get this person [PM for email] to send out an email with your story. She (her name is Amy) is like the horse network guru of Western NY. If you send her your email and story she will forward it to her network, which is huge, and probably your best chance of help. Her network covers ALL of western NY and then some. I do believe even the one or 2 rescues I know of are in her network. If not-I can get you their names if needed. I am from Buffalo, lived in Lockport (DH is from there) but really have few horsey contacts there any more. I am about 100 miles away, and do not have a place for one, even temporarily, since I board.