The race where horses die - Page 2
   

       The Horse Forum > Horse Resources > Horse Protection

The race where horses die

This is a discussion on The race where horses die within the Horse Protection forums, part of the Horse Resources category
  • Washington state/tripping horses
  • Horses tripping washington

Like Tree56Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    11-27-2012, 10:39 PM
  #11
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwlnl    
The Suicide Race is a horse race held every year, during the second week of August, in Omak, Washington. Over a span of four days and nights, riders repeatedly run their horses off Suicide Hill with a 120-foot galloping start. Horses blindly plunge more than 210 feet down a slope that event organizer's often boast as an "almost vertical... 62-degree angle." At breakneck speed, the horses then meet the Okanogan River. Entry into the river is narrow, causing bottlenecks and horrendous multiple-horse spills.

The horses have suffered heart attacks from over exertion, broken bones from shocking collisions and tumbles, and even horrifying death by drowning. Race has provoked serious concerns among animal welfare and animals rights groups.

In the previous 25 years at least 21 horses have died, including three in 2004 and one in 2012.
What is your point? Washington State law specifically exempts rodeos from animal cruelty statutes. It's the same reason why horse tripping isn't illegal. Yes, horse tripping goes on in unsanctioned 'backyard' rodeos in the State of Washington.

If you want to do something about it, start with the Washington State Legislature.
Lexiie and EvilHorseOfDoom like this.
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    11-27-2012, 11:23 PM
  #12
Started
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweeney Road    
Washington State law specifically exempts rodeos from animal cruelty statutes.
This is the first time I have heard that- could you post a reference or where you learned that? If you're right I may have some letters that need writing. While I am a fan of some well run rodeos, I don't think they should be (and had never heard they were) exempt from common anti-cruelty laws. I would love to see where that's written in the codes so I have something solid to go from.
     
    11-28-2012, 10:35 AM
  #13
Foal
RCW 16.52.185: Exclusions from chapter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpie    
This is the first time I have heard that- could you post a reference or where you learned that? If you're right I may have some letters that need writing. While I am a fan of some well run rodeos, I don't think they should be (and had never heard they were) exempt from common anti-cruelty laws. I would love to see where that's written in the codes so I have something solid to go from.
     
    11-28-2012, 10:42 AM
  #14
Showing
The exemption only applies to ACCEPTED husbandry practices. Anything considered harsher than the ACCEPTED practices can be charged as animal cruelty.

So no, rodeos are not exempt from animal cruelty laws in WA state.
     
    11-28-2012, 11:22 AM
  #15
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Racer    
The exemption only applies to ACCEPTED husbandry practices. Anything considered harsher than the ACCEPTED practices can be charged as animal cruelty.

So no, rodeos are not exempt from animal cruelty laws in WA state.

You may draw whatever inference you wish from the stated law, however:

The Suicide Race is an 'accepted' practice in Washington State.

Tripping of horses is also apparently an 'accepted' practice.

And even if these practices were made illegal under Washington State law, these events would simply move to tribal land.
     
    12-20-2012, 10:18 PM
  #16
Weanling
You gotta be completely outta your MIND to go crashing down a freaking vertical hill in the dark on a horse runnin like a bat out of he** only to end up splashing down in some narrow butt river.... Oh lord have MERCY!!!
     
    12-23-2012, 02:35 PM
  #17
Green Broke
Go view California codes. Rodeos etc are subject to cruelty laws. Print a copy
And send them to your representative or start a petition to get the law changed. Horse tripping is illegal here.
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
race horses xiluvbambix Horse Talk 11 06-18-2012 07:38 PM
Race horses... Sarahandlola Horse Training 7 01-29-2011 03:47 PM
Race horses.... ladybugsgirl Horse Breeds 29 07-05-2010 03:52 AM
Ex Race Horses Small_Town_Girl Horse Talk 44 08-28-2008 04:15 AM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0