Slaughter - Page 5
   

       The Horse Forum > Horse Resources > Horse Protection

Slaughter

This is a discussion on Slaughter within the Horse Protection forums, part of the Horse Resources category
  • Horse abattoir qld meramist
  • Metro velda pty ltd Peterborough agreement

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    04-11-2008, 12:59 PM
  #41
Yearling
I never said you have to have a stock pile of money in the bank. But to say you can't afford euthanasia... well if you can't afford that in an emergency, then how can you say you can afford a vet to repair an injury or colic in an emergency?

If you (not YOU, I mean this generally speaking) can't pay for euthanasia and therefore have to send your pet to a slaughterhouse instead... then what were you ever doing with a horse to begin with?? What if it wasnt a death sentence he needed but instead health care. Why is it that health care can be afforded but not a decent death?

I don't know how it is where you live, but I have never had to pay to have a horse's corpse removed. Although, to be fair, I have only had my sisters horse put to sleep and an elderly pony in my lifetime.

But I don't understand what the difference is in being able to afford "in case of injury" vet care or "in case of euthanasia" vet care? Here euthanizing a horse costs about 250.00


*EDITED FOR MIS-TYPE
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    04-11-2008, 01:13 PM
  #42
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by kim_angel
I never said you have to have a stock pile of money in the bank. But to say you can't afford euthanasia... well if you can't afford that in an emergency, then how can you say you can afford a vet to repair an injury or colic in an emergency?

If you (not YOU, I mean this generally speaking) can't pay for euthanasia and therefore have to send your pet to a slaughterhouse instead... then what were you ever doing with a horse to begin with?? What if it wasnt a death sentence he needed but instead health care. Why is it that health care can be afforded but not a decent death?

I don't know how it is where you live, but I have never had to pay to have a horse's corpse removed. Although, to be fair, I have only had my sisters horse put to sleep and an elderly pony in my lifetime.

But I don't understand what the difference is in being able to afford "in case of injury" vet care or "in case of euthanasia" vet care? Here euthanizing a horse costs about 150.00
Well again I have two Horses I a draft I an arab in my state I was around when a friend put down her Clydesdale because he brocke his leg.
The vet charged her 250 that was the cheap part because than they had to get someone to get rid of the Horse.
In there case they paid someone to bring a Backhow and dig the hole for the horse.
Well total cost ended up being almost 700 dollars a bit more than your 150.
So again if every Horses owner had your thought that they shouldn't own a horse because they don't alawy's have the money in the bank for emercency's who would own there Horses YOU??

In my area alone I can think of 60% of Horses alone that are own and well taken care of by people who don't have the money in hane to pay a vet to come out unles he let's them pay it off.
And a lot of vet's in my area would if the Horse is in dire need.
But that dosen't make them any less of a good Horses owner.
I myself have had 2 Horses parrish both because I took them in from a person that had the money to take care of them but choose not to.
By the time I got them they where so far gone that the only thing we could do is put them out of there suffering.
So just because you have the money dosen't make you a good Horse owner sometimes the people that have the least care the most.
     
    04-11-2008, 02:05 PM
  #43
Yearling
Ok please re-read my posts a few more times because apparently you are inserting words. Somewhere along the line you are inserting the phrase where I said you need to have the money in your bank account.

I am pretty sure I said that just about any vet that you have been using for your horses care will bill an emergency, especially one like euthanasia.

What is being said here is that sending your horse off to slaughter cause you can't afford euthanasia is a.o.k. I am saying that if you can't afford to euthanize your hose when the time comes, then you shouldnt have ever owned the horse to begin with...because if you can't afford that, then how did you afford other vet visits or emergencies?

You are still missing the entire point.

*by the way, it was 250.00 - sorry I mis-typed.

Also, if irresponsible would stop owing horses they can't afford to take proper care of, perhaps then there would be less breeding, less need for rescues and less neglected horses. When every Joe Schmoe who can't afford to have a horse gets a horse it just promotes breeding.

Kill Buyer Manny Phelps hit the nail on the head:

"The following is a word for word quote from horse killer Manny Phelps...I mop up. I clean up the mess left by morons who just have to breed their mare. A few years later no one wants the baby anymore, so I come in to mop up. How come you never write about those morons who just have to breed their mare? Every spring I send dozens of mares and new foals to the meat plant. And every spring there are idiots breeding more babies. All of your do right for horses cause they built America is crap. The only way to do right for horses is to stop breeding them."
     
    04-11-2008, 02:10 PM
  #44
Yearling
Drafthorse, let me ask you this....

If god forbid one of your horses was hurt today and needed emergency vet care... which would you do?

A) call the vet and either write a check or have it billed
B) leave it to suffer cause you don't have the money in the bank
C) send it to the slaughter house since you can't afford the vet
     
    04-11-2008, 02:46 PM
  #45
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by kim_angel
drafthorse, let me ask you this....

If god forbid one of your horses was hurt today and needed emergency vet care... which would you do?

A) call the vet and either write a check or have it billed
B) leave it to suffer cause you don't have the money in the bank
C) send it to the slaughter house since you can't afford the vet
IF MY Horse got hurt I will work it out with the vet and make payments and depending on what is wrong I will figure out a way to take care of her.
As for your other post let's say you owned a horse for many years never had a problem other than maybe regular check up's.
Now the Horse is old and with age come more problems most of the time in your own life you find yourself in a different financial position so all those years that you had the Horse you shouldn't have had it because maybe some day you may not be able to do everything you should.
Let's face it there are people that will spend thousands on the care of there animal's dogs cat's whatever than there are people who think taking there dog to the vet for shots is a waste of money well those same people own Horses too.
How about large ranches that make there living with Horses do you really think they spend a lot of money on one Horse??
Guess what if it cost to much it goes to slaughter at least that what the ranches around here do.
So again you can't tell me that depending how long you have your horse you know you will be prepaired for anything and even just putting the Horse down isn't just that bill.
Unless you are planning on leaving him or her where ever that horse was putt down.
And I did read your post and I agree with you in many parts people need to quit breeding for one and not just Horses but Dogs and cat's as well.
There are way to many people that don't have the brain power or care to crasp how bad the situation of unwanted animals really is.
But there is alway's some idiot that just has to breed his mare for whatever reason with no thought of what to do with it.
     
    04-11-2008, 03:57 PM
  #46
Green Broke
Okay my opinion. DO NOT come back at me and give me the "well what if your horse got injured today" junk....just because I am on a tight budget when it comes to owning a horse doesn't mean anything...it is what it is...some people on here act like there all offended when we say yes we would send our horses to slaughter if we couldn't afford euthanasia. Get over it...

Edited
For inappropriate language-appy
     
    04-11-2008, 04:05 PM
  #47
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingerrrrr
okay my opinion. DO NOT come back at me and give me the "well what if your horse got injured today" bull$hit....just because I am on a tight budget when it comes to owning a horse doesn't mean anything...it is what it is...some people on here act like there all offended when we say yes we would send our horses to slaughter if we couldn't afford euthanasia. Get over it...
get over it? Sure, but honestly I think its sad that you would send your horse to slaughter rather than euthanize it. I am happy that my horses will never suffer the fate that yours could possibly suffer.

If your tight budget can't afford vet care though, you shouldnt have a horse or any animal you can't afford. I stand by that.
     
    04-11-2008, 05:25 PM
  #48
Green Broke
Thanks...(rolls eyes) I support humane slaughter. I would put my horse to slaughter rather then have her suffer from pain if I couldn't afford vet care. You seriously need to stop yelling about what I would do. All that matters is what you would do with your horse. I seriously don't care what you do with your horses. But I for one would send my horse to slaughter if I couldn't afford the treatments or somethings...you make it seem like im a horrible person for my own opinions....

Edited
For inappropriate language-appy
     
    04-11-2008, 05:31 PM
  #49
Started
Quote:
Originally Posted by kim_angel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingerrrrr
okay my opinion. DO NOT come back at me and give me the "well what if your horse got injured today" bull$hit....just because I am on a tight budget when it comes to owning a horse doesn't mean anything...it is what it is...some people on here act like there all offended when we say yes we would send our horses to slaughter if we couldn't afford euthanasia. Get over it...
get over it? Sure, but honestly I think its sad that you would send your horse to slaughter rather than euthanize it. I am happy that my horses will never suffer the fate that yours could possibly suffer.

If your tight budget can't afford vet care though, you shouldnt have a horse or any animal you can't afford. I stand by that.

I said that over and over again. But did anybody listen? No! I come from Aussie Land, and this is what we do (DO Some research!)

The slaughter of horses for human consumption is a controversial and secretive business, its existence hard to accept by horse owners, unheard of by most members of the public. Even Austrade has it effectively smoke-screened, listing one of the companies involved as an exporter of “game meats”.[1]

But the export of horsemeat from Australia has been going on since the 1970s, though only in a small way back then. The first major export was 7777 tonnes in 1981. The biggest ever year was 1986 when 9327 tonnes were shipped out, representing the slaughter of well over 30,000 horses. After that, although it fluctuated, there was a steady decline to 6000 tonnes in 1999, then it halved again to some 3000 tonnes in 2003, representing about 10,000 horses. But the price has steadily risen, due at least in part to the mad cow disease scares causing people to turn away from beef. The approximate export value per kilogram in 2004 was $3.30 compared with $2.70 in 1999.[2] This translates to a great deal more on the dinner table, over US$50/kg according to some sources.[3]

It is not we Australians who are eating our horses because it is illegal to eat horsemeat here. It is diners mainly in Europe who are indulging, plus some Japanese. The two abattoirs in Australia licensed to export horsemeat are in fact Belgian-owned. They are at Peterborough in South Australia (Metro Velda Pty Ltd) and Caboolture abattoir in Queensland (Meramist Pty Ltd).

As with cattle and other types of livestock, the best meat comes from younger animals in good condition with quality muscling. So it is not the old, broken-down horses tired of living that are killed at these two horsemeat abattoirs - they go instead to one of the 30-odd knackeries throughout Australia, there to be processed for petfood, fertiliser, hides etc. No, it is much younger horses mostly still in their prime which are slaughtered for human consumption. Exempt from this group are usually pony and draught types, which are less preferred for various reasons. Grey horses are not normally accepted either because of the likelihood of malignant melanoma, a human health risk.[4]

So where are these quality younger animals, rarely past middle years, coming from? It is difficult to get a breakdown of breeds/types sold for slaughter. The selling agents do not keep a record and the abattoirs are not forthcoming. But even in the absence of documented figures, the finger must be pointed firmly at the racing industry, which has a very high attrition rate of fine quality, well-muscled horses still in their prime often with no road open except to a horsemeat abattoir. A significant statistic is that the peak slaughter years of the 80s also saw the highest number of Thoroughbred foals born, culminating in a record 23,697 in 1989. Apart from minor fluctuations, every year after that saw a steady decline to about 17,000 foals born in 2004.[5] This fall was paralleled by a decline in horsemeat production. It is logical to assume that the decreasing foal crop was heavily biased towards the lower end of the Thoroughbred market and therefore representative of those foals which, had they been born, would have been most likely to contribute to the horsemeat trade.

Harness racing is a related source, but it is a considerably smaller industry with a lower attrition rate because standarbreds start racing when older and stay racing longer. Pleasure horses, show and working horses and the equestrian industry in general are other sources, but the percentage would be small in comparison with Thoroughbreds because, even in the toughest disciplines, there is never the attrition rate at such a young age. A compelling reason why some do find their way to the horsemeat abattoirs though is the cost advantage in comparison with euthanasia and disposal by more compassionate means. An example from America – “Euthanizing a horse costs between $75 and $150, and disposing of the body when it cannot be buried, costs at least $250. Sending a horse to slaughter, however, nets an average $500 profit.”[6]

Another contribution to the horsemeat industry comes from the annual cull of feral horses or brumbies. Truckloads of them are transported vast distances to the abattoirs from as far away as Western Australia and the Northern Territory. But even they only represent 20- 25% of the total numbers slaughtered.[7] Of major concern, discussed in more detail under Horse welfare: transport and floating, is the stress associated with their capture, yarding and loading and then the transport itself often in double decker units designed for cattle, and a welfare code that allows them to be trucked 36 hours without water or feed.

All indications are that racing is a major contributor to the horsemeat export trade. An amazing statistic from the U.S. Is that the removal of tax benefits which encouraged the breeding of racehorses saw the total number of horses slaughtered drop from 300,000 in 1990 to 88,000 in 2005.[6] That’s a whopping 70% reduction despite an influx of Premarin mares since 2002, though an offset has been an increase in rescue organizations.

In Australia, the evidence is that failed/retired racehorses and broodmares are making up at least 60% of the industry. Some of them are just two and three years old. In a personal communication, a buyer of slaughter horses in Queensland estimated that about 80% of the horses he deals in are Thoroughbreds, 50%-60% of which are killed at Caboolture abattoir for their meat, which is exported overseas for human consumption. Some of the others are purchased for the equestrian market. The rest go to the knackery at nearby Rosewood. In the first part of 2006, Caboolture abattoir was killing about 150 horses on one day of the week, though it can and has processed 700 head a week.

Personal observation over a two-year period of horses collected in a nearby paddock prior to transport to slaughter revealed that at least 80% of them were Thoroughbreds. They were unmistakeably racing and stud farm rejects by their type and unique system of branding.
A sad truth about the racing industry and one never advertised is that worldwide, some 30% of horses bred never even start in a race due to injury or lack of ability. In addition, an Australian study (which no doubt reflects the situation elsewhere) found that 40% of 1804 racehorses aged 2-5 years and actively in work and racing over a season earned no money at all, while the earnings of 87% of them were insufficient to cover training costs.[8] But while ever unwanted horses of any breed or type continue to be bred, slaughter and the horsemeat trade will remain options for their disposal, a profitable form of convenience euthanasia.
     
    04-11-2008, 05:46 PM
  #50
Green Broke
The reason I WOULDNT be able to afford to euthinize (sp?)my horse is because im only 14. My family is on a very tight budget at the moment so yes it would be hard to get the money to euthenize my horse. If I HAD the money id definitely euthenize my horse. But if I didn't id send my horse to slaughter. End of story.
     

Thread Tools



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:34 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0