TWH horses, cruel or not? - Page 3
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Horse Resources > Horse Protection

TWH horses, cruel or not?

This is a discussion on TWH horses, cruel or not? within the Horse Protection forums, part of the Horse Resources category
  • Using chains on twh
  • Twh big lick for sale

Like Tree35Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    11-03-2011, 08:21 AM
  #21
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakotababii    
Some people have convinced themselves that if you canter a walker, they will lose their gait and always canter or pace.

It's baloney if you ask me. My walker actually gaited better after letting off some steam at a canter.

Walkers are just like any other horse, they should be worked at all the gaits. If you want to gait, you must first teach them to walk out good. If you want to canter, you must teach them to gait well. If you do it right, they can be cantered easily and be brought back to a very smooth, ground covering gait.

Oh and their canters are usually very comfortable! They call it the "rocking chair" canter and they aren't kidding!
That seems to be the opinion on gaited horses in general. I went to look at a TWH that was for sale once, and (before I knew better :roll:) asked for a canter. The owner flipped out on me. Personally, I don't want a horse that can't canter, so even my gaited horses learn to as soon as they are set in their gait. I will say, when I first started cantering my Rocky, he would try to skip gaiting and go right into the canter. I'm told cantering is easier for them, and that is why that tends to happen. We are working on gaiting again, but will definitely continue to canter as time goes on.
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    11-03-2011, 09:32 AM
  #22
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaddleDragon    
TWH's Cruel? No. Some trainers, in any breed, yep. Bad apples anywhere you look.
i disagree, with respect. Putting these stacks that are inches high, and put so much pressure on the joints of the leg, and even the integrity of the hoof itself (i've heard of hooves bursting open from the top!), is cruelty, no matter how 'nice' and 'kind' the trainer may otherwise be. Horses are crippled at young ages because of this type of shoeing alone, soring or not!

And also, we are not talking about saddlebreds, this discussion is about TWH.
Aesthetic likes this.
     
    11-03-2011, 10:13 AM
  #23
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by .Delete.    
But I guess this is along the same lines as weighted shoes they put on flat seat horses.
The breeds get lumped together all the time. Just like this^^^. Im tired of people who think they know, but don't. The heaviest shoe/pad combo in asb's is still lighter than the smallest stack for TWH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by muumi    
i disagree, with respect. Putting these stacks that are inches high, and put so much pressure on the joints of the leg, and even the integrity of the hoof itself (i've heard of hooves bursting open from the top!), is cruelty, no matter how 'nice' and 'kind' the trainer may otherwise be. Horses are crippled at young ages because of this type of shoeing alone, soring or not!

And also, we are not talking about saddlebreds, this discussion is about TWH.
Not all walking horses wear those! Its one division that wears them. I don't like them either, but its not cruel. The soring that SOME do, that's whats cruel.
Don't bash a whole breed for one division they offer. I know of many TWH folks that absolutly hate the stacks and such. So no, its not all of them. Should they quit a breed the love just because of the stacks or soring. Id hope not. One must stand up for their belifs and leaving a breed they love because of controversy is a silly.


OP, there is cruely in EVERY breed and every dicipline. Please don't judge the TWH because of people. They are good solid horses that have got caught up in the rediculiousness of people. If the TWH wants motion like that they could have bred for it, but instead the bred for the RW and lost the motion. Now they want it back and the only way to get it is breed for it and wait or 'stack 'em high'.
     
    11-03-2011, 10:22 AM
  #24
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaddleDragon    
Not all walking horses wear those! Its one division that wears them. I don't like them either, but its not cruel. The soring that SOME do, that's whats cruel.
you are right, its not all classes, but its is the big lick classes and trainers that we are discussing here in this particular thread, and in my opinion, as I said before, its cruel.
lacyloo likes this.
     
    11-03-2011, 10:48 AM
  #25
Weanling
FYI, Title doesnt asy big lick. It says "TWH, cruel or not?"
     
    11-03-2011, 11:11 AM
  #26
Green Broke
Nobody is saying quit the breed, I love the breed, I say quit the shows, and quit the companies that sponsor the shows until the shows change. And make sure the sponsors know why you are not buying from them.
Chasin Ponies likes this.
     
    11-03-2011, 12:45 PM
  #27
Yearling
Oh we are not bashing the breed. The breed is AWESOME! It is just the morons who interfere to make them "pretty" that tick me off.


And yes, cantering a TWH can make them canter happy. But then again, if they haven't been cantered before for how ever many years, of course they are canter happy. If you only walk and trot a non-gaited horse for 10 years,and then ask it to canter, it will likely do the same thing.

My point being, it is not inherent to the breed that they like to canter more. It is just something novel to them at first. With training (just like any other breed) they can do any gait without breaking for a long time. It takes skill and practice to be able to get the proper gaits out of TWHs, but then again, so does getting the proper trot out of a QH.
     
    11-03-2011, 02:18 PM
  #28
Green Broke
Agreed we are not bashing the breed. I put the title that way to keep it short an simple. I actually plan on buyin a nice big TWH when I get older for trails. I enjoy to breed, just not that aspect of it
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    11-03-2011, 02:22 PM
  #29
Green Broke
Thats my walker in my Avatar, I'll never own anything else.
     
    11-04-2011, 10:27 PM
  #30
Started
I think the training is cruel....love the horses only experienced one but I fell in love!

The trainers go to horrible lengths. I have heard of trainers using chains with spikes in them(not in shows) and also poking pinholes on the back of their foot under the fetlock and rubbing cyanne(Sp?) pepper onto the holes before a show to get that ugly exaggerated gait.

Here's a vid (sorry if it was posted on here before.) of a COMING 2 year old so the poor girl isn't even 2, her joints are going to be detroyed well before she sees the double digits.

And another video from the same training facility. Another COMING 2 year old. The poor babies.

The trainers will do whatever to win and if they have to cover their @$$es to do it they will the entire way.
Chasin Ponies likes this.
     

Quick Reply
Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is it cruel? kate115 Horse Health 22 05-19-2010 07:23 PM
Is it cruel to a horse to have just one? AlmostThere Horse Talk 16 11-19-2009 01:20 AM
Tear me apart...be cruel if you must SonnyWimps Horse Riding Critique 13 04-01-2008 05:57 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:54 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0