Why do horse lovers support slaughter? - Page 12 - The Horse Forum
 97Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #111 of 181 Old 12-26-2011, 12:47 PM Thread Starter
Trained
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Georgia USA
Posts: 6,581
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsms View Post
Shipping them from a $5 market to the $250 market would kill your profit. Otherwise, it WOULD be done.
10 horses X $245 = $2450 which will pay for a lot of fuel.
Make it 20 horses. 40.

Celeste

Last edited by MHFoundation Quarters; 12-26-2011 at 01:14 PM.
Celeste is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #112 of 181 Old 12-26-2011, 12:49 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Desert from Hell, CA.
Posts: 1,377
• Horses: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celeste View Post
By the way, most of my protein comes from home grown eggs. I do eat some USDA inspected milk products and some occasional meat.
"Among the routes of human exposure to estrogens, we are mostly concerned about cow's milk, which contains considerable amounts of female sex hormones," Ganmaa told her audience. Dairy, she added, accounts for 60 percent to 80 percent of estrogens consumed.

Part of the problem seems to be milk from modern dairy farms, where cows are milked about 300 days a year. For much of that time, the cows are pregnant. The later in pregnancy a cow is, the more hormones appear in her milk.

Hormones in milk can be dangerous
"One study compared diet and cancer rates in 42 counties. It showed that milk and cheese consumption are strongly correlated to the incidence of testicular cancer among men ages 20 to 39. Rates were highest in places like Switzerland and Denmark, where cheese is a national food, and lowest in Algeria and other countries where dairy is not so widely consumed.

Cancer rates linked to dairy can change quickly, said Ganmaa. In the past 50 years in Japan, she said, rising rates of dairy consumption are linked with rising death rates from prostate cancer - from near zero per 100,000 five decades ago to 7 per 100,000 today."


ETS: The article states that cows were not always milked this way (pregnant all the time) and are not milked this way in traditional herding societies, giving far less estrogen in the milk.

Oh, and lest we forget beef:
"U.S. standards on beef are lax, inspector general says


April 14, 2010|From Dugald McConnell, CNN


The U.S. government is not fully guarding against the contamination of meat by traces of antibiotics, pesticides or heavy metals, a new report warns.

The U.S. Department of Agriculture's inspector general said federal agencies have failed to set limits on many potentially harmful chemical residues, which "has resulted in meat with these substances being distributed in commerce."

When it comes to pesticide traces, only one type is tested for, according to the report. There are also no set limits for some heavy metals, like copper."

U.S. standards on beef are lax, inspector general says - CNN

So again, if your arguments of med or chemical tainted HORSE meat is also valid for OTHER animal based foods in the US...then your argument is flawed. What is your argument based on then, other than emotion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jareth, the Goblin King
I move the stars for no one.
RIP Pumpkin: 2012-8/26/13
demonwolfmoon is offline  
post #113 of 181 Old 12-26-2011, 01:21 PM Thread Starter
Trained
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Georgia USA
Posts: 6,581
• Horses: 1
To my knowledge, slaughter and/or consumption has never been against federal law. The funding for USDA inspection was withdrawn.

Celeste
Celeste is offline  
post #114 of 181 Old 12-26-2011, 01:25 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Desert from Hell, CA.
Posts: 1,377
• Horses: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonwolfmoon View Post

So again, if your arguments of med or chemical tainted HORSE meat is also valid for OTHER animal based foods in the US...then your argument is flawed. What is your argument based on then, other than emotion?
Care to take that one on, OP?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jareth, the Goblin King
I move the stars for no one.
RIP Pumpkin: 2012-8/26/13
demonwolfmoon is offline  
post #115 of 181 Old 12-26-2011, 01:25 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 4,648
• Horses: 6
Then why did you say:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba13 View Post
Horses have BEEN food animals all along, so how exactly will this change things?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celeste View Post
Not legally in the USA. Perhaps in Australia.........
demonwolfmoon likes this.
bubba13 is offline  
post #116 of 181 Old 12-26-2011, 01:32 PM Thread Starter
Trained
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Georgia USA
Posts: 6,581
• Horses: 1
They are not technically considered food animals; slaughter is just not prohibited.
A food animal by definition species has restrictions on drugs that may be used on that animal. It is a matter of what the primary use of the animal is considered to be. If horses legally become food animals, then there will be more and more restrictions on their use.

For example, before a commercial broiler (chicken) grower can get a loan to put in a chicken house, local water and soil must be tested and proven to be free of chemicals such as DDT.

Antiinflamatory drugs, antibiotics, hormones, parasiticides, and other drugs are all carefully controlled in animals that are considered to be food animals because the consumer has a legal right to a safe product.

Using a horse as a food animal has always been considered a secondary or incidental use of the animal rather than the primary use. I am surprised that people will buy American horse meat because it is contaminated as a rule.
Druydess likes this.

Celeste
Celeste is offline  
post #117 of 181 Old 12-26-2011, 01:37 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 4,648
• Horses: 6
And they police all off-label use of livestock drugs? I know for a fact that they do not, and that cattle get things they shouldn't. No way to check and regulate all that--none. Just the same as "not for horses intended for human consumption" supplements are fed to equines who are later auctioned.
bubba13 is offline  
post #118 of 181 Old 12-26-2011, 01:56 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Desert from Hell, CA.
Posts: 1,377
• Horses: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celeste View Post
I am surprised that people will buy American horse meat because it is contaminated as a rule.
1) Prove it.

2) Prove that *if* 1 is true, that 1 will still be true after increased regulation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jareth, the Goblin King
I move the stars for no one.
RIP Pumpkin: 2012-8/26/13
demonwolfmoon is offline  
post #119 of 181 Old 12-26-2011, 02:02 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 5,526
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celeste View Post
I am surprised that people will buy American horse meat because it is contaminated as a rule.

Ha...didn't you know.

It is Canada's secret plan to get all Americans sick so we Canadians can sneak into their country...carrying our home made bombs disguised as cupcakes and TAKE OVER THE WORLD.




Hahahahahahehehehehe

bsms, DuffyDuck and demonwolfmoon like this.
Spyder is offline  
post #120 of 181 Old 12-26-2011, 04:42 PM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 2,827
• Horses: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonwolfmoon View Post
Druydess....I guess the thing is, unless you are a complete vegan, I don't understand why you're making a big issue of HORSE slaughter. The thing is, you can find screw ups (I wince saying that) in probably every slaughter house. =/
Unless the people who are so adamant about stopping the complete HORROR of slaughtering horses are also advocating for ceasing slaughter of ALL ANIMALS for the purposes of human consumption, then what they are saying smacks strongly of hypocrisy.
It's very simple. I have seen how inhumane it is. I have seen horses legs being sawed off while they were clearly alive. I have seen hundreds of deaths and understand exactly what the death process is. I know the difference between reflexes and painful attempts to evade torture.
If we as a society choose to turn a blind eye to the inhumanity of animal abuse and torture for our own convenience and profit, I have little faith in the evolution of our race and ethics as people.
Just because some deem slaughter necessary does not absolve them of the duty to recognize when it is being carried out cruelly, arrogantly, and with little compassion or thought as to what is right.
If people really saw first hand what goes on in these death pits, they'd likely have a better understanding. However, most are content not to think much about it as it "happens" elsewhere...out of sight and mind.
Personally, I as a human being, can not, and will not support an industry that epitomizes abuse, cruelty, and blatant disregard of respect for life, as well as little regard for effects of possible chemical contamination. It's a personal stand that morally I have no choice but to take.
Celeste likes this.

For those who don't like me-- it's mind over matter; I don't mind - - and you don't matter.
www.obsidianarabians.com

Last edited by Druydess; 12-26-2011 at 04:44 PM.
Druydess is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How many horses on the forum do you know? LoveStory10 Horse Talk 43 06-25-2012 09:36 AM
New to horses / new to the forum TheCountryLife Meet the Community 1 07-11-2010 09:51 AM
New to horses...new to forum! manhirwen Meet the Community 11 07-09-2008 04:04 AM
New to the forum, but not new to horses... PaintNPasoQH Meet the Community 1 03-02-2007 08:36 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome