Why do horse lovers support slaughter? - Page 18 - The Horse Forum
 97Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #171 of 181 Old 12-27-2011, 01:00 AM
Trained
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: N.W. Ohio
Posts: 5,344
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celeste View Post
I started this thread with the title "Does anybody on this forum like horses?" The title was changed by a moderator.

My point was this: Think about the 12 year old girls that could be coming here to learn about horses. Think about how they are being horrified by all the people who eagerly want to promote a fast easy market for substandard horses. I would be mortified if I were a kid that was full of hopes and dreams and love of horses.

When I was 12 I had already Slaughtered Deer and cattle so no biggy there. I knew where my food came from and not a supermarket. I think most horse kids know this.
If not they will soon learn. It is part of life. Like it or not.

This forum is overrun with profit seeking people who find horses to be no more than a market commodity.

I love my horses but just like anything in life they are not free. They MUST pay their way. So yes I expect them to make me money. Hay may grow like trees but it is not free. Nor is anything else about horses free or even cheap.

I have been accused of trying to start an argument by starting this thread. Well if that is true, it seems that I was successful. The relative lack of people that see problems with slaughter does not show a lack of support for my position. It merely shows that most people that agree with me are not on this forum any longer.
Why is slaughter of horses any different then the slaughter of cattle pigs sheep chickens and so on? Just b/c horses have other uses does not change what they are. Live stock.

-I'm so busy... I don't know if I found a rope or lost my horse.
-An Armed Man is a Citizen an unarmed man is a subject.
-Where ever free speech is stifled Tyranny will reign.
nrhareiner is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #172 of 181 Old 12-27-2011, 02:17 AM
Foal
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 236
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celeste View Post
10 horses X $245 = $2450 which will pay for a lot of fuel.
Make it 20 horses. 40.
Basic economics. Say you haul 20 horses from an area where they are going for $25 each at auction to an area where they go for $245. Is there a guarantee that you are actually going to get $245 for each one? No.

Basic supply and demand. You have increased the supply in the area by 20 horses, and demand has not changed. As a rule, this means that the price will be driven down. Untouched, the horses in that area were getting $245, but by flooding the market, the price will go down accordingly.
Gremmy is offline  
post #173 of 181 Old 12-27-2011, 08:41 AM
Trained
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: southern Arizona
Posts: 9,072
• Horses: 4
Also, while hauling 20 horses is cheaper per horse than hauling one, it isn't the same price as hauling one. If you have a known buyer on the other end who has agreed to pay $250, then you can look at your transportation costs & time, and decide if it is worth the effort.

If I were to take it up, I'd have to buy 20 horses at $5, arrange their transportation, pay for it out of pocket, and then HOPE I could make a profit by selling them somewhere else.

One of the problems with slaughter in the US is that there ARE people who buy horses cheap, transport them to Mexico, and then sell them because a horse of 1000 lbs has a known value in Mexico. Unhappily, the horses transported like that are unregulated once they hit the border, and suffer much more than they would if killed in the USA.
Cherie likes this.

"People can teach us the rules, but only horses can teach us the art of riding."
bsms is online now  
post #174 of 181 Old 12-27-2011, 09:16 AM Thread Starter
Trained
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Georgia USA
Posts: 6,581
• Horses: 1
Why do I care more about horses than I do about pigs?

The same reason I care more about dogs and cats than I do about pigs. Culturally, I consider them to be pets.

This has been a fun argument, but I am now going to unsubscribe from it.

Celeste

Last edited by MHFoundation Quarters; 12-27-2011 at 09:32 AM.
Celeste is online now  
post #175 of 181 Old 12-27-2011, 09:21 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 4,648
• Horses: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celeste View Post
Why do I care more about horses than I do about pigs?

The same reason I care more about dogs and cats than I do about pigs. Culturally, I consider them to be pets.
So not based on logically sound or sensible reasons, given that pigs are more intelligent, sensitive, and loyal than any of the above. So long as we're clear on that point, fine.

Last edited by MHFoundation Quarters; 12-27-2011 at 09:33 AM.
bubba13 is offline  
post #176 of 181 Old 12-27-2011, 09:24 AM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 5,995
• Horses: 0
bsms, this is exactly why the sale barn owner has told guys on the east coast NOT to haul a semi-load to this sale.

Many horses go through this sale for less than $75.00. If they have a cut or a 'limp', have gotten a snotty nose or have lost enough weight to not 'grade', then they bring a lot less than the $300.00 they might have brought. There is commission, yardage and insurance deducted and if their Coggins Test is not less than 6 months old or the markings do not match closely enough, they need a new one of those. It is not quite as simple as buy for $25.00 and sell for $250.00. But then, this is what someone would expect from some with the simplistic arguments with no solutions that we hear from the anti-slaughter people.
Cherie is offline  
post #177 of 181 Old 12-27-2011, 09:40 AM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Desert from Hell, CA.
Posts: 1,377
• Horses: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celeste View Post
Why do I care more about horses than I do about pigs?

The same reason I care more about dogs and cats than I do about pigs. Culturally, I consider them to be pets.

This has been a fun argument, but I am now going to unsubscribe from it.
Well...at least you finally admit there is no sound logic behind your argument, just emotional attachment brought on by the culture of your childhood. xD

So since you're unsubscribing does this mean that you've given up inflaming us with righteous anger ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jareth, the Goblin King
I move the stars for no one.
RIP Pumpkin: 2012-8/26/13
demonwolfmoon is offline  
post #178 of 181 Old 12-27-2011, 10:03 AM
mls
Trained
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: MN
Posts: 5,464
• Horses: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrhareiner View Post
You do realize that any drug that is given to any animal does get out of their system with in a give time frame correct? Some like Anti Biotic is 3 days some are 7 and very few are 14 days. Past that the meat is safe to eat. It if was not then there would be no meat that would be safe to eat and no milk safe to drink.
Part of the reason for the USDA inspections are to ensure the product is safe. ANY meat that goes to market for a consumer is tested.
mls is offline  
post #179 of 181 Old 12-27-2011, 09:34 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 4,648
• Horses: 6
bubba13 is offline  
post #180 of 181 Old 12-28-2011, 08:05 AM
Started
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 1,886
• Horses: 3
Horse slaughter... hmm not for my horses. Heck I wouldn't even haul them to the vet in unfamiliar surroundings to be euthanized but I do think there is a need for it. So while I am pro slaughter it just wouldn't do for my horses who have served me so well.
Druydess likes this.
WickedNag is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How many horses on the forum do you know? LoveStory10 Horse Talk 43 06-25-2012 09:36 AM
New to horses / new to the forum TheCountryLife Meet the Community 1 07-11-2010 09:51 AM
New to horses...new to forum! manhirwen Meet the Community 11 07-09-2008 04:04 AM
New to the forum, but not new to horses... PaintNPasoQH Meet the Community 1 03-02-2007 08:36 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome