**Critique Me And Oscar Please:)** - Page 4
   

       The Horse Forum > Riding Horses > Horse Riding Critique

**Critique Me And Oscar Please:)**

This is a discussion on **Critique Me And Oscar Please:)** within the Horse Riding Critique forums, part of the Riding Horses category

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        10-26-2009, 08:27 PM
      #31
    Showing
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LeahKathleen    
    Then I feel as though the hose needs to be taught to jump again if he can't do it without being kicked. Having the scope for jumping and jumping properly are different things. He looks to have quite a lot of talent, but how will you ever support him over the higher fences when you have to cue him that way?
    Bingo again.
    I haven't a clue why anyone would have to absolutely cue when to jump - ESPECIALLY kicking that hard.
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        10-26-2009, 08:52 PM
      #32
    Super Moderator
    Well, not all horses jump in the hunter ring. Perfectly groomed footing that is absolutely level with the striding already planned doesn't need much input from the rider, maybe.

    In the XC world, you are dealing with difficult terrain with strong up and downhill galloping, crazy striding, all kinds of footing. And, the jumps don't just fall down if the team makes a mistake. If you simply allow the horse to approach and make all the decisions, disaster will, eventually, happen. A horse should be given an idea when and where they might want to start the jump. A strong downhill will suck the horse into the jumps base. He must be cued from further back to make the jump well. There are too many examples to write here. XC is no place for a horse, who has no depth perception, to make all the decisions. A rider who just sits there letting things happen is no team player, IMHO.
         
        10-26-2009, 09:04 PM
      #33
    Showing
    Oh no, I understand guiding a horse to the jump and YOU getting the striding right, but having to kick (read: boot) or make a sound to get the horse to jump? I don't think so... I'll get the horse to the base of the fence in a safe manner, and slightly cue, but ... I honestly have never heard of someone having to do what the OP is doing in the first video, or having to make a sound to let the horse know "leave the ground now!" -- shouldn't that be a partnership?
         
        10-26-2009, 09:25 PM
      #34
    Super Moderator
    What "cue"do you give?

    I do a slight half halt and nudge with my leg to say "now". The half halt gets that little bit more of the haunch engaged. I can't imagine sending a horse at an XC jump without some slight cue.

    As for the term "boot", consider the phrase and where she hails from. It may have a different meaning there.
         
        10-27-2009, 09:45 AM
      #35
    Yearling
    In the 2nd video I know I was kicking a lot coming into 2 of the jumps but that was because at both of the jumps it was a verrryyyy short 3 stride and oscars a big lad (17.1hh) so I felt he'd jump better from a long two. This was after jumping 5 bounce jumps so I needed to push him on.
         
        10-27-2009, 09:46 AM
      #36
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JustDressageIt    
    Bingo again.
    I haven't a clue why anyone would have to absolutely cue when to jump - ESPECIALLY kicking that hard.

    How else are you going to get a horse who isnt all to quick off the leg to go?
    Im getting him quick off the leg now but its not something that's a fast fix
         
        10-27-2009, 02:03 PM
      #37
    Started
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xLaurenOscarx    
    how else are you going to get a horse who isnt all to quick off the leg to go?
    Im getting him quick off the leg now but its not something that's a fast fix
    I think what JDI is saying is that until he becomes more responsive to more subtle cues, you should hold back on the high fences you're jumping. As it stands right now, he has little support moving over the high fences - why not work on your aids on the flat and over small crossrails until he has mastered moving off a subtle cue? That way, when you get the the higher fences, you're more able to support him with your legs, instead of having to cue him that way.

    Just another thing flat work will help with - you can become more balanced in your seat and more stable through your leg, while at the time, teaching him to work off those seat and subtle leg cues. It's a win-win!
         
        10-27-2009, 02:14 PM
      #38
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LeahKathleen    
    I think what JDI is saying is that until he becomes more responsive to more subtle cues, you should hold back on the high fences you're jumping. As it stands right now, he has little support moving over the high fences - why not work on your aids on the flat and over small crossrails until he has mastered moving off a subtle cue? That way, when you get the the higher fences, you're more able to support him with your legs, instead of having to cue him that way.

    Just another thing flat work will help with - you can become more balanced in your seat and more stable through your leg, while at the time, teaching him to work off those seat and subtle leg cues. It's a win-win!
    Ive been doing that since I got him 3 years ago. It works for me and as I'm always told if it works for you stick at it. We've jumped up to 1.60m no problem like that. Also just asking but the steeplchase horses who jump 1.30m with jockeys with tinsy stirrups.. the jockeys legs arent supporting them as there legs aren't even past the saddle flaps. But yet they get on fine too. I kick on the last stride not when we're in the air so by the time Oscars in the air my legs are back at the saddle
         

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Western Riding critique and confo critique on Romeo Pidge Horse Riding Critique 19 10-09-2012 02:21 AM
    Please critique-- Which one should I go look at/try out?? Please leave critique. horseluver50 Horse Riding Critique 14 11-05-2009 10:29 PM
    Tundra Park Oscar is for Sale -xx-sally-xx- Tack and Equipment Classifieds 0 02-29-2008 02:46 AM
    Oscar Horseknogg Horse Memorials 2 11-22-2007 05:50 AM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:53 AM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0