Black and white or brown.... - Page 2
   

       The Horse Forum > Riding Horses > Horse Riding Critique

Black and white or brown....

This is a discussion on Black and white or brown.... within the Horse Riding Critique forums, part of the Riding Horses category
  • Black n white never fades quote

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    05-26-2009, 11:02 PM
  #11
Foal
Thanks everyone! Like I said,I don't plan on showing but I do want some nice pics for his registration.I may Stud him out later if he keeps a quiet temperment.
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    05-26-2009, 11:05 PM
  #12
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentBravery09    
Thats strange I have a registered Black and White Paint and she never fades. We live in the desert as well and she spends most of her time, actually all of it, out in the sun and she never fades. She isnt on any supplements or anything. I think he may be a brown cause true black doesnt fade. At least I don't think.
Maybe that has something to do with the minerals in the rocks and dirt where you live.Your horse could be getting extra stuff from the ground.....just a guess.
     
    05-26-2009, 11:12 PM
  #13
Green Broke
Stud? His conformation is not stud quality. He'll make a nice looking gelding, but from the pictures, not a stud. I'm sure you already know but keeping a stud should be done based on conformation as well as tempermant.
     
    05-27-2009, 12:08 AM
  #14
Green Broke
There's no such thing as "true" black. Black can be either fading or non-fading, neither one makes them any more or any less "black". Genetically they are still black. Non-fading black is quite a bit more rare then fading black, which gives us the horses that sunbleach.

I don't understand how you can know he's homozygous for black and yet not KNOW if he's black. He can't be homozygous for black if he ISN'T black, so if he IS homozygous, then he's obviously black. Two black and white parents don't automatically make a foal homozygous for black. ROFL. That was a mouthful.

If his parents truly were black, then the only color he could possibly be is black. The only other possibility would be chestnut, which he obviously isn't.

Fading doesn't mean anything, my girl is black tobiano and you'd swear she's bay from the color of her flank spots (her head is totally black though and both her parents are also black).
     
    05-27-2009, 12:14 AM
  #15
Green Broke
This has a good explanation of fading and non fading too:

Base Horse Coat Colors - Black

ETA: I always thought of the 'true' blacks term used for foals born black with only white on their heads or legs, after looking up this info from your post Miko I see it's fading/non-fading. Which makes sense.
     
    05-27-2009, 12:18 AM
  #16
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacabreMikolaj    
There's no such thing as "true" black. Black can be either fading or non-fading, neither one makes them any more or any less "black". Genetically they are still black. Non-fading black is quite a bit more rare then fading black, which gives us the horses that sunbleach.

I don't understand how you can know he's homozygous for black and yet not KNOW if he's black. He can't be homozygous for black if he ISN'T black, so if he IS homozygous, then he's obviously black. Two black and white parents don't automatically make a foal homozygous for black. ROFL. That was a mouthful.

If his parents truly were black, then the only color he could possibly be is black. The only other possibility would be chestnut, which he obviously isn't.

Fading doesn't mean anything, my girl is black tobiano and you'd swear she's bay from the color of her flank spots (her head is totally black though and both her parents are also black).
I was told he's homo for black and I have his fathers papers but waiting on the mothers.People arent always honest and of course I wondered if maybe someone was fibbing a little about his genetics.
     
    05-27-2009, 12:19 AM
  #17
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solon    
Stud? His conformation is not stud quality. He'll make a nice looking gelding, but from the pictures, not a stud. I'm sure you already know but keeping a stud should be done based on conformation as well as tempermant.
I know his conformation isnt perfect but he has fantastic bloodlines.I wasnt thinking world class but Im pretty sure he could turn a buck.
     
    05-27-2009, 12:21 AM
  #18
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solon    
Stud? His conformation is not stud quality. He'll make a nice looking gelding, but from the pictures, not a stud. I'm sure you already know but keeping a stud should be done based on conformation as well as tempermant.
And I only mentioned temperment cause if he acts a fool,hes getten gelded for sure!
     
    05-27-2009, 12:26 AM
  #19
Foal
I had a black horse to and he would also fade in the summer, I did not now that there was a supplement for that.
     
    05-27-2009, 12:26 AM
  #20
Green Broke
Quote:
Originally Posted by mystikal222    
I know his conformation isnt perfect but he has fantastic bloodlines.I wasnt thinking world class but Im pretty sure he could turn a buck.
Bloodlines look nice on a pedigree but if it doesn't translate down to the actual horse it doesn't really mean much.
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
turning brown bridles black jazzyrider Horse Tack and Equipment 3 06-19-2008 06:51 AM
Black and White Tobiano TWH Mare for sale kim_angel Horses for Sale 15 05-23-2008 01:35 PM
Black and white drawing EquiSoup Horse Artwork 5 02-22-2008 08:30 PM
Stirrup Pads - White or Black? - Huntseat Equina Horse Tack and Equipment 3 11-10-2007 04:50 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0