Cantering & Jumping Critique?
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Riding Horses > Horse Riding Critique

Cantering & Jumping Critique?

This is a discussion on Cantering & Jumping Critique? within the Horse Riding Critique forums, part of the Riding Horses category
  • Horse cantering and jumping

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    06-05-2010, 08:44 PM
  #1
Foal
Cantering & Jumping Critique?

I would love a critique of these pictures from my lesson last Wednesday. Any advice or suggestions are very much appreciated! I can see a few things myself but thought I'd put them up here for you all to take a stab at. You can critique Dakota too, if there's something I might be able to help him improve.

Here is a picture from last summer for comparison, I think I have improved a lot!



Thanks!







     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    06-05-2010, 11:26 PM
  #2
Weanling
I lovee your form!

IMHO you looks great your heels could be down more but in your jumping I love your two-point although maybe up just an inch. Also when your cantering try to sit up more. Also pick yuor hands up they look like there resting on his withers or close to them.
     
    06-06-2010, 09:55 AM
  #3
Green Broke
You are over-jumping for a small jump, and it makes you too close to his neck. Don't bend quite so far at the hip. And watch your elbows at the canter. They are sticking out a bit. If you rotate your hands so your thumbs are up, that will go away. They look fine over fences. But your leg looks good and solid, and your release has improved a TON! (and your pony is adorable) Keep at it!
     
    06-06-2010, 10:50 AM
  #4
Yearling
I actually like your hands at the canter where they are. Maybe slightly closer to your body, but you can have just as much control with your hands slightly farther up the horses neck than when they are higher and farther back... my instructor is actually always reminding me to lower my hands :). When you release, it looks like you're doing that floaty crest release- lower your hands so you actually have the support of your horse's neck, and if you don't need that support practice an automatic release so you have different releases to use in different situations. It looks like your leg is sliding out in front of you ever so slightly. In response to what Iluvjunior said about sitting up more, I think you may be leaning forward to compensate for your leg sliding out in front of you...
You look really solid over the fences, good job! Your position has improved drastically from what I can see in the pictures! You look 100x more effective .
     
    06-07-2010, 02:19 PM
  #5
Weanling
I figured I could give a little pointer for each photo so you can go back and look at the photo and know exactly what I'm talking about :)

1- Your leg has slide back a little too far .
You are a tad bit forward and your overjumping for the size of the jump , I know how hard this is I have this problem too !

2- Although your hands are low that is fine , I ride with a lower hand aswell but your thumbs still need to be pointing up no piano hands !
Your leg could also be back a touch while on the flat aswell .

3- Thumbs up again in this photo . Your heels like great in this photo.

Your horse is very cute and with the things I said they are tiny things that if you can get fixed will make a world of a difference !
     
    06-07-2010, 08:32 PM
  #6
Weanling
Really? My Instructor is always telling me to pick my hands up and move them forward.
     
    06-08-2010, 10:28 AM
  #7
Weanling
Yeah some people tell me that aswell but that's how my horse responds , as soon as my hands are lifted she throws her head . ( Not sure if your horse does that ) most people do say to pick your hands up but Im not sure how your horse reacts ! The way I look at it is if I can go in an equitation class and ride with my hands like that and still place top 3 it can't be that much of an issue ! But listen to your trainer haha don't get me in trouble :P
     
    06-08-2010, 03:23 PM
  #8
Trained
I actually really like where your hands are. They are in a position which allows them to be absolutely still and that you can still feel the mouth. You have a great contact and I feel the if you sat down in your saddle and developed a bit of a driving seat while keeping the little birds in your hands happy, you might actually get a frame.
Bring your elbows in and your thumbs on top.

Otherwise, while you do create a great picture and can obviously ride this steady horse, I don't feel that your position is very effective and on a spunkier horse, you wouldn't be as comfortable.
At this point in your career you need to start riding other horses and gaining experience and a more effective seat. It is all well and fine to be great at riding one horse, but you can't ride just one forever. Eventually you will want to move up and you're going to need the horse to do it.

Good luck!
     
    06-11-2010, 10:59 AM
  #9
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfterParty    
yeah some people tell me that aswell but that's how my horse responds , as soon as my hands are lifted she throws her head . ( Not sure if your horse does that ) most people do say to pick your hands up but Im not sure how your horse reacts ! The way I look at it is if I can go in an equitation class and ride with my hands like that and still place top 3 it can't be that much of an issue ! But listen to your trainer haha don't get me in trouble :P
When I move my hands up my horse responds better than when there down in my lap. Yea I mean if her trainer tells her to keep them like that then I would listen to your trainer since she knows your horse and we don't lol.
     
    06-12-2010, 12:38 AM
  #10
Foal
Thanks so much for all the awesome critiques! I think I'm going to get either videos or pictures next Wednesday!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvjunior    
I love your two-point although maybe up just an inch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by apachiedragon    
You are over-jumping for a small jump, and it makes you too close to his neck. Don't bend quite so far at the hip.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfterParty    
You are a tad bit forward and your overjumping for the size of the jump , I know how hard this is I have this problem too !
Yes, I totally agree! Part of it I think is that I'm used to jumping a bit higher than this (I had a sub instructor that day) but I think I would even be over-jumping for 2'6'' or 2'9''. I'll have to work on that for sure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anrz    
When you release, it looks like you're doing that floaty crest release- lower your hands so you actually have the support of your horse's neck, and if you don't need that support practice an automatic release so you have different releases to use in different situations.
Hmm, not quite sure what you mean by floaty crest release. :P I think what I'm doing now is some sort of a mix between an auto and a crest— I slide my hands up to follow his mouth, press into his neck over the middle, and start to bring my hands back as we land/canter away from the jump. How do you think I should change that?


Quote:
Originally Posted by AfterParty    
2- Although your hands are low that is fine , I ride with a lower hand aswell but your thumbs still need to be pointing up no piano hands !
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvjunior    
Really? My Instructor is always telling me to pick my hands up and move them forward.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*~anebel~*~    
I actually really like where your hands are. They are in a position which allows them to be absolutely still and that you can still feel the mouth. You have a great contact and I feel the if you sat down in your saddle and developed a bit of a driving seat while keeping the little birds in your hands happy, you might actually get a frame.
Bring your elbows in and your thumbs on top.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvjunior    
When I move my hands up my horse responds better than when there down in my lap. Yea I mean if her trainer tells her to keep them like that then I would listen to your trainer since she knows your horse and we don't lol.
Hehe, seems pretty divided on this one. Sometimes I have my hands up a lot higher—like when he gets heavy on the forehand or is flings his head, which he sometimes does. I lower my hands more when he's relaxed and smooth, just because it seems more comfortable. I don't really think about it much. The cantering pictures I posted were in between jumps in a course, and he's 100x more focused and smooth and forward when we're jumping. Cantering before we start jumping is a whole different story—he flings his head around and breaks into a trot sometimes. We're working on it, though. :)


Quote:
Originally Posted by apachiedragon    
But your leg looks good and solid, and your release has improved a TON! (and your pony is adorable) Keep at it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by anrz    
You look really solid over the fences, good job! Your position has improved drastically from what I can see in the pictures! You look 100x more effective .
Thanks guys, that means a lot to me! I'm always trying to improve. XD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*~anebel~*~    
Otherwise, while you do create a great picture and can obviously ride this steady horse, I don't feel that your position is very effective and on a spunkier horse, you wouldn't be as comfortable.
At this point in your career you need to start riding other horses and gaining experience and a more effective seat. It is all well and fine to be great at riding one horse, but you can't ride just one forever. Eventually you will want to move up and you're going to need the horse to do it.
I don't know what makes you think I don't ride other horses. I only started leasing Dakota a few weeks ago. Before that I was switching off between two "spunkier" horses—Mack, an OTTB that actually kind of scared me but had a super jump, and Zippo, who was really green and just learning how to jump. I think a year of riding those two is what greatly improved my position between the before picture and the after picture!

So I wouldn't say I've been riding Dakota "forever." I rode him for maybe a year when I came to this barn. Anyway, I chose Dakota to lease because I felt that we really worked well together. And, to be honest, Mack and Zippo kind of scared me. They were a good learning experience but I wouldn't want to lease them.

I think working with Dakota will be good for me too, since he's so steady and I can learn on him. We get along, I have fun riding him, and he doesn't make me nervous all the time. I do think I can move up on him, and have been already. He can go up to 3' if you have a good eye, my instructor says—although I'm nowhere near ready for that! But I think I can advance on him. Don't worry though, I won't be riding him forever. :) Just for a little while.
     

Quick Reply
Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cantering troubles when jumping huntereqrider Horse Riding 8 02-14-2010 04:34 PM
Cantering + Jumping. HorsesAreForever Horse Videos 14 11-08-2009 01:58 AM
Cantering and jumping Hoofprints in the Sand Jumping 7 05-25-2009 12:07 AM
Critique me cantering bareback SonnyWimps Horse Riding Critique 15 08-05-2008 09:18 PM
Critique Me & Sky Cantering Jump2GrandPrix Horse Riding Critique 9 09-24-2007 09:52 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0