citique my barrel racing horse - Page 10
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Riding Horses > Horse Riding Critique

citique my barrel racing horse

This is a discussion on citique my barrel racing horse within the Horse Riding Critique forums, part of the Riding Horses category

Like Tree71Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    09-11-2011, 11:43 PM
  #91
Green Broke
What do you plan on doing with this foal
Posted via Mobile Device
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    09-12-2011, 12:38 AM
  #92
Started
I just have a quick question, is this mare confirmed to be pregnant? I don't recall seeing any sort of comment saying she's definitely pregnant.
     
    09-12-2011, 10:43 AM
  #93
Green Broke
This isn't enough?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodeoqueen77    
yes she is bred


Quote:
Originally Posted by rodeoqueen77    
haha ya my aunt has an arabian ranch and we have foals all the time she is a retired vet and she will be there to help with the foaling and every thing


Quote:
Originally Posted by rodeoqueen77    
that was her last competition she is done because she is 6 months and that was my worry so now she's going to do some riding


Quote:
Originally Posted by rodeoqueen77    
no she's bred I bred her in march
rodeoqueen77 likes this.
     
    09-12-2011, 11:56 AM
  #94
Teen Forum Moderator
DrumRider- there is still the possibility that the mare did not take. If she is only 6 months, she won't look very pregnate outwardly. It would take a vet to know if she actually IS pregnate. Jumanji simply asked if a vet had tested her yet.

OP- I look at it this way. Barrel horses are generally stocky, short-backed, well rounded horses with good leg so that there is a smaller chance of injury. Your mare is quite opposite of this...she's build very long. To tell you the truth, when I first saw her picture, I thought 'weenie dog.' Asking an animal with weak bones, a long back, and poor leg is just asking for trouble. Looking at her videos, I agree- she DOES do very well for a horse at ill-conformed as she is, which says a lot about her personality, but it's just not kind to make her do something that will ultimately be her end.

In a way, she reminds me of myself. A long backed, long legged, gawky animal made to run a high-impact sport, is like asking me, an extremely accident prone, weak boned, 4'11 girl- to run hurdles in cross country or track. I may be able to keep up for a little while, but eventually I'm either going to jump wrong and snap a bone, or just be beat to a pulp by those who are conditioned and built for hurdles. That's not to say I'm not good for other things...I tend to think that I'm very good at swimming and stuff like that. Perhaps a less wear-and-tear disipline would be good for your mare. Something like trail riding (perhaps even endurance, if you were willing to provide a chiropractor, good saddle, conditioning) low level WP, etc. I really think it would be in her best interest, since she's already been severely injured once- and is now carrying a foal. Take from that what you will.
smrobs, tinyliny, Gidget and 2 others like this.
     
    09-12-2011, 11:48 PM
  #95
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumanji321    
I just have a quick question, is this mare confirmed to be pregnant? I don't recall seeing any sort of comment saying she's definitely pregnant.

What I am going buy now is that she has not come into heat but we are going to get her tested
     
    09-12-2011, 11:49 PM
  #96
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by .Delete.    
What do you plan on doing with this foal
Posted via Mobile Device


Just for pleasure for now yet there is no telling yet so idk
     
    09-13-2011, 10:48 AM
  #97
Green Broke
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodeoqueen77    
just for pleasure for now yet there is no telling yet so idk
Pleasure? Like showing or just for fun?
     
    09-13-2011, 05:36 PM
  #98
Teen Forum Moderator
So if she hasn't been tested, I'm assuming she hasn't had any of the normal pre-pregnancy/ during-pregnancy care? Please tell me that you atleast have her up to date on her vaccinations (just her coggins does not count as 'up to date) and you have her wormed? With a body like hers, I would think that you'd want to give her the biggest advantange possible. Suppliments, vaccinations, vet checks...all of those are part of responsible horse breeding. If she isn't up to date, PLEASE have the vet out. She should of been palpated a few months ago, and a good check is vital. Take it from me, you don't want to mess with this sort of stuff. My favorite mare was irrisponsibly bred not long ago, and because she didn't get proper healthcare during her pregnancy or the right nutrition, the baby died at birth. It was a traumatic experience for all of us, and afterwards the mare contracted a very bad infection in her uterus that kept her stalled for months. All of it could of been prevented, and because it wasn't- it ended up costing is three times as much as a few shots and some better feed would have.

The damage is already done as far as breeding goes, but you don't even know if she really IS pregnate, or if she's in any shape to have a foal! If you ask me, you atleast owe her that. We are the stewards of our animals, and we are responsible for all of their needs if we are going to place ownership on them.
pepperduck and tinyliny like this.
     
    09-13-2011, 05:58 PM
  #99
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodeoqueen77    
just for pleasure for now yet there is no telling yet so idk
Awesome...so you bred your mare for the hell of it with no intended purpose for the foal.

And you also got a free "Dash Ta Fame" that's also Darkelly bred....LOL good luck with that one! I hope your half as good of a "trainer" as you claim to be
     
    09-13-2011, 07:23 PM
  #100
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endiku    
So if she hasn't been tested, I'm assuming she hasn't had any of the normal pre-pregnancy/ during-pregnancy care?

Take it from me, you don't want to mess with this sort of stuff. My favorite mare was irrisponsibly bred not long ago, and because she didn't get proper healthcare during her pregnancy or the right nutrition, the baby died at birth. It was a traumatic experience for all of us, and afterwards the mare contracted a very bad infection in her uterus that kept her stalled for months. All of it could of been prevented, and because it wasn't- it ended up costing is three times as much as a few shots and some better feed would have.

The damage is already done as far as breeding goes, but you don't even know if she really IS pregnate, or if she's in any shape to have a foal! If you ask me, you atleast owe her that. We are the stewards of our animals, and we are responsible for all of their needs if we are going to place ownership on them.
I stayed off this thread for the longest time but I have to say that this struck a cord in me. Not a pretty cord either.

Endiku, you are so right on! OP - you need to give your mare what she needs during her pregnancy! You bred her so give her only the best care. For her and for the baby!

Sorry, but touchy subject for me too. This stuff makes me cringe.
     



Tags
barrel racing, gymkhana, pole bending, rodeo

Quick Reply
Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Raining Horse for Barrel Racing Shiny Barrel Racing 10 02-25-2011 01:55 PM
what bit is best for barrel racing, how do i start my horse barrelgrl Western Riding 3 08-15-2008 03:38 AM
How do I determine if my horse could do barrel racing? americancowgurl31391 Horse Training 17 01-29-2008 10:04 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0