Critique 10 y/o APHA mare - The Horse Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 07-13-2009, 03:27 PM Thread Starter
Weanling
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: SE GA
Posts: 539
• Horses: 0
Critique 10 y/o APHA mare

Hello- I'm pretty new to this forum but have been around a few others. I would like to get a critique on my mare Classy.

Classical Romantic
Breed-APHA
Age 10 y/o

A little history-she was a pasture ornament for the past 4/5 years and just started getting back into shape/riding in June so around a month I have been riding and working her! She was obese from sitting for so long but is starting to come along and looks a lot better IMO! I will be showing her just at the open shows.

What I can see is she is slightly sickle hocked, thick neck but that is starting to go away.

Thanks :)





And for comparison this is her May 30th. 2009 just arriving at her new home.


Here is a video of her first week back to work

Last edited by ClassicalRomantic; 07-13-2009 at 03:29 PM.
ClassicalRomantic is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 Old 07-13-2009, 06:37 PM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 651
• Horses: 2
You can definitely see the difference between when you first brought her home and now in your more recent pictures, she's a much better weight.
As far as her confo, nothing really jumps out at me. I don't think she's sickle hocked, if she is it's only a tiensy bit.
Overall I think you have a beautiful mare! I love how solid she is!

Do not follow where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail...
RedHawk is offline  
post #3 of 10 Old 07-13-2009, 06:51 PM
Started
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Middle-of-Nowhere, Illinois
Posts: 2,221
• Horses: 1
I agree with RedHawk, you've done a really nice job with her. She has a little bit of a bull neck, but that could be because she was overweight. It could go away. Overall, she's really nicely put together. Gorgeous girl. =D

"A musician must make music, an artist must paint, a poet must write, if he is ultimately to be at peace with himself.
What a man can be, he must be.
" Abraham Maslow, 1968
Jessabel is offline  
post #4 of 10 Old 07-13-2009, 08:53 PM
Foal
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 18
• Horses: 1
Very pretty girl! I think you've done a wonderful job with her.

Nothing in particular jumps out at me about her conformation, except for her neck, but like the other posters (and yourself) have stated, that may very well diminish with increased work.

I sure wish my horses lunged as well as yours! Mine are great in a round pen but look dumbfounded when I connect the lunge line.
Chickerdoodle13 is offline  
post #5 of 10 Old 07-13-2009, 09:05 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: CO
Posts: 5,061
• Horses: 5
She definitely still needs to lose alot of weight; when she does, she will be a very, very flattering girl...She has very nice conformation under all that chub...just keep up the 'hard work' and you will have a horse who will be able to do pretty much anything you want to with. She does seem a tad sickle hocked, but it's not really extreme.

"The ideal horseman has the courage of a lion, the patience of a saint, and the hands of a woman..."
mom2pride is offline  
post #6 of 10 Old 07-14-2009, 03:37 AM
Showing
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 12,537
• Horses: 0
Nice looking horse. But wow, she must have been huge if she's already lost a lot of weight! Extra magnesium in her diet will help the neck & any other deposits of hard fat. See safergrass.org for their advice on that. Her feet look like they need some attention, tho they don't look too bad. With only those pics can't tell much. It would surprise me if she weren't laminitic.
loosie is offline  
post #7 of 10 Old 07-14-2009, 08:00 AM Thread Starter
Weanling
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: SE GA
Posts: 539
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHawk View Post
You can definitely see the difference between when you first brought her home and now in your more recent pictures, she's a much better weight.
As far as her confo, nothing really jumps out at me. I don't think she's sickle hocked, if she is it's only a tiensy bit.
Overall I think you have a beautiful mare! I love how solid she is!
she still needs to loose a good bit but I didn't want to push her to hard and cause more problems..slow and steady is my motto LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessabel View Post
I agree with RedHawk, you've done a really nice job with her. She has a little bit of a bull neck, but that could be because she was overweight. It could go away. Overall, she's really nicely put together. Gorgeous girl. =D
Thank you :) she is my baby!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickerdoodle13 View Post
Very pretty girl! I think you've done a wonderful job with her.

Nothing in particular jumps out at me about her conformation, except for her neck, but like the other posters (and yourself) have stated, that may very well diminish with increased work.

I sure wish my horses lunged as well as yours! Mine are great in a round pen but look dumbfounded when I connect the lunge line.
Thank you, hopefully I can get that neck back into condition :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2pride View Post
She definitely still needs to lose alot of weight; when she does, she will be a very, very flattering girl...She has very nice conformation under all that chub...just keep up the 'hard work' and you will have a horse who will be able to do pretty much anything you want to with. She does seem a tad sickle hocked, but it's not really extreme.
Thanks, I am giving her another good month of moderate work (weather permitting..darn rain)

Quote:
Originally Posted by loosie View Post
Nice looking horse. But wow, she must have been huge if she's already lost a lot of weight! Extra magnesium in her diet will help the neck & any other deposits of hard fat. See safergrass.org for their advice on that. Her feet look like they need some attention, tho they don't look too bad. With only those pics can't tell much. It would surprise me if she weren't laminitic.

I just had her feet trimmed about two weeks ago...she is from MD and just moved to GA and the bugs are driving her CRAZY so she has been stomping so much that its chipping her toes. What would make you think she might be laminitic? Just curious I don't know much about it but I would like to learn. I have also read that she might have a IR problem as well. Only problem is the area we live has NO large animal vets, basically the small animal vets can come out for mild cases like tubing for colic any major problems we have to haul to UGA which I believe is 3-5 hr drive :(
ClassicalRomantic is offline  
post #8 of 10 Old 07-14-2009, 08:12 PM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Central TX
Posts: 375
• Horses: 5
You have a cute mare. The first thing that jumped out at me is that she is nicely balanced - decent shoulder, good hip, nice back. Her head is nice, can't say a lot about her legs. I agree with the other poster that she probably needs a better trimming job, as her toes are already looking long and I think the angles are off (I think she needs more toe off, and work on keeping her feet from splaying; they're not bad, but they can be improved on; enter disclaimer that I am not a farrier, just the daughter of one who has been around it for more years than I'm willing to admit). Her biggest fault is her neck; I don't think it will ever be great but I think it will be improved as she loses weight. Good job getting her into condition so far.

Last edited by sandsarita; 07-14-2009 at 08:14 PM.
sandsarita is offline  
post #9 of 10 Old 07-14-2009, 10:49 PM
Showing
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 12,537
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicalRomantic View Post
I just had her feet trimmed about two weeks ago...she is from MD and just moved to GA and the bugs are driving her CRAZY so she has been stomping so much that its chipping her toes. What would make you think she might be laminitic? Just curious I don't know much about it but I would like to learn. I have also read that she might have a IR problem as well. Only problem is the area we live has NO large animal vets, basically the small animal vets can come out for mild cases like tubing for colic any major problems we have to haul to UGA which I believe is 3-5 hr drive :(
Can't see any chipping or such from those pics. This is generally caused by the feet being left too long &/or not being rolled at the edges. Perhaps the farrier trimmed her that way, perhaps her feet were unattended a while before he did them, so she may be due again already... If her feet are 'stretched' at the toe due to lami, then they'll be more likely to 'self trim' in this way too. With only those pics, it's a big of a guess that she's laminitic. I guessed that because she is quite overweight, was a lot worse, left at pasture, and her feet look long & disconnected(flared). If she's IR or such, then she's 99.99% lami & possibly foundered. Happy to give you hoof critique if you send some pics of her feet. Hoofrehab.com has lots of info & pics for you to learn more about feet & probs such as lami too.
loosie is offline  
post #10 of 10 Old 07-15-2009, 10:20 AM Thread Starter
Weanling
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: SE GA
Posts: 539
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsarita View Post
You have a cute mare. The first thing that jumped out at me is that she is nicely balanced - decent shoulder, good hip, nice back. Her head is nice, can't say a lot about her legs. I agree with the other poster that she probably needs a better trimming job, as her toes are already looking long and I think the angles are off (I think she needs more toe off, and work on keeping her feet from splaying; they're not bad, but they can be improved on; enter disclaimer that I am not a farrier, just the daughter of one who has been around it for more years than I'm willing to admit). Her biggest fault is her neck; I don't think it will ever be great but I think it will be improved as she loses weight. Good job getting her into condition so far.
Thank you for the honest critique! The farrier I used was recommended by a good bit of people but who knwos what that is saying since we have probably a handful to choose from in our area LOL but he was really nice and seemed to be decent he said she had good feet???? I wish I knew more about feet etc...I have been out of the horse world for a long enough that I don't know much anymore LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by loosie View Post
Can't see any chipping or such from those pics. This is generally caused by the feet being left too long &/or not being rolled at the edges. Perhaps the farrier trimmed her that way, perhaps her feet were unattended a while before he did them, so she may be due again already... If her feet are 'stretched' at the toe due to lami, then they'll be more likely to 'self trim' in this way too. With only those pics, it's a big of a guess that she's laminitic. I guessed that because she is quite overweight, was a lot worse, left at pasture, and her feet look long & disconnected(flared). If she's IR or such, then she's 99.99% lami & possibly foundered. Happy to give you hoof critique if you send some pics of her feet. Hoofrehab.com has lots of info & pics for you to learn more about feet & probs such as lami too.
Hmm I will have to have him come back out again soon I told him to put me on the books for every 6 weeks he's not in our area often so I'll have to see what he can do! I don't have any pics on the computer at the moment of her feet but I will take some next time I'm at the barn which might be tonight depending on GA weather :( Thanks for the link and the help!
ClassicalRomantic is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Possible APHA halter mare? Junebug Horse Training 7 08-19-2009 02:45 PM
4 Y/O APHA mare english_rider144 Horse Riding Critique 9 05-26-2009 10:10 PM
Critique pedigree-APHA mare Curly_Horse_CMT Horse Riding Critique 2 04-23-2009 11:38 AM
Critique please. APHA mare Sliding4ever Horse Riding Critique 14 02-13-2009 03:59 PM
Critique Moriah APHA mare I used to lease!!! shermanismybaby3006 Horse Riding Critique 12 01-07-2009 11:46 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome