Critique Bella-videos-No bucking for the first time in months - The Horse Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 09-08-2012, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
Started
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: northeast Pennsylvania
Posts: 2,199
• Horses: 6
Critique Bella-videos-No bucking for the first time in months

I just posted in horse talk because I'm trilled that I finally got back on Bella, For the past few months she been bucking every ride so I haven't ridden her for fear I would get bucked off, yesterday I had a friend with me, she's only 14 but she's a pretty good rider and is brave. So she got on Bella with my saddle and Bella was amazing. Now I would like some pointers to work with Bella on, She gets behind the bit sometimes and seems like she never stops playing with her mouth. I'm a terrible judge of if a horse is using it's hind end or not as well.
Don't judge the rider, she hasn't ridden Bella in as long as I have(since I moved barns a few months ago and she was from my old one) and she was understandably a bit nervous because if the bucking.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Tn39cfhywE





And here are the videos of me walking on her Just a nice easy walk to get us reacquainted I was just happy to be back up there, I almost cried I was so happy.


Rachel1786 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 16 Old 09-08-2012, 10:52 PM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 286
• Horses: 1
I really like you're mare. She has nice movement.

In my opinion , your seat moves too much at the canter. If I were you, I would try harder to sit on your tailbone, and absorb the movement in your stomach rather than your legs like you are now. Also, if your horse usually bucks, its very beneficial to ride with your hands a bit higher. This will help discourage bucking (its hard to buck when the horses head is in the air), and also shift weight to the rear end.
Posted via Mobile Device
arrowattack09 is offline  
post #3 of 16 Old 09-08-2012, 10:57 PM
Foal
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 43
• Horses: 0
Congratulations on having your horse back! Did you ever figure out why she had been bucking? I loved how she stretched long and low toward the end of two of the videos, it really shows how relaxed she is - no trace of wanting to buck there! And I especially loved the big pats on the neck she got. Well done all 3 of you!
Amanda B is offline  
post #4 of 16 Old 09-10-2012, 07:57 PM Thread Starter
Started
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: northeast Pennsylvania
Posts: 2,199
• Horses: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrowattack09 View Post
I really like you're mare. She has nice movement.

In my opinion , your seat moves too much at the canter. If I were you, I would try harder to sit on your tailbone, and absorb the movement in your stomach rather than your legs like you are now. Also, if your horse usually bucks, its very beneficial to ride with your hands a bit higher. This will help discourage bucking (its hard to buck when the horses head is in the air), and also shift weight to the rear end.
Posted via Mobile Device
Like I said, the top videos are not me riding I'm in the bottom 2 vids just walking. Thank you for the compliments on Bella

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanda B View Post
Congratulations on having your horse back! Did you ever figure out why she had been bucking? I loved how she stretched long and low toward the end of two of the videos, it really shows how relaxed she is - no trace of wanting to buck there! And I especially loved the big pats on the neck she got. Well done all 3 of you!
She has been bucking because the woman who I had been letting ride her was using a saddle that did not fit. The saddle was very tight on her shoulder. I told her months ago that I thought that was the problem but she said it wasn't and I was too much of a push over to be stern. I finally did a wither tracing on Friday and confirmed it. She had also changed my horses bit from a eggbutt french link snaffle to a 3 ring elevator snaffle(without my permission) and was using very heavy hands. Bella was just trying to tell everyone something was wrong and I was too much of a pushover to listen. I had a long talk with the barn owner this afternoon about this and I feel much better now that she is informed(she is friends with the woman so I wasn't sure how it was going to go) and understands my concerns.

Nikki hasn't ridden Bella in a long time and we were both very proud of how well she did, I'm glad it showed
Rachel1786 is offline  
post #5 of 16 Old 09-10-2012, 08:30 PM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 286
• Horses: 1
Oops. Sorry! I need to read better.
Posted via Mobile Device
arrowattack09 is offline  
post #6 of 16 Old 09-12-2012, 02:05 AM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Blowy Hills of the Pacific NW
Posts: 1,318
• Horses: 1
Congrats Rachel for getting over your fear and riding Bella again! Also, way to go with letting your BO know about the friends saddle fit, hope that works itself out for you.

My journal of my re-entry back to the horse world http://shelooksgoodonahorse.blogspot.com/
With Grace is offline  
post #7 of 16 Old 09-12-2012, 02:35 AM
Started
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 2,069
• Horses: 1
Congratulations on getting back in the saddle!

From what I could see of her at the walk on the long rain, she doesn't seem to be able to stretch out enough due to the length of the reins. At the canter she seems to be falling onto the forehand but I don't see Nikki pulling on her head or anything - I'd see this as a balance issue for Bella, and it may just be because she hasn't been ridden in a while (am I correct?) and needs to develop the strength in her back end. I'd do plenty of trotwork and work on a long rein, and let her back swing free, plus do work on downward transitions (and half halts within the gaits) to lighten her forehand and shift her balance back to her hindquarters - but there are far more knowledgeable people on here than me who'll give you far better answers I'd be investing in a longer pair of reins though.
EvilHorseOfDoom is offline  
post #8 of 16 Old 09-12-2012, 03:09 AM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Posts: 16,342
• Horses: 0
You have a very nice mare. I like her. One thing that sticks out in the video. It is hard to be sure due to the quality of the video, but I get the impression that the bit is too high in her mouth. It looks like the cheeks could be dropped a hole or two.

If the bridle is too tight, it may hold the bit in an uncomfortable place in the mouth. That can cause some fussiness. Show a close up photo of the bit placement.
Allison Finch is offline  
post #9 of 16 Old 09-12-2012, 11:10 PM Thread Starter
Started
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: northeast Pennsylvania
Posts: 2,199
• Horses: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrowattack09 View Post
Oops. Sorry! I need to read better.
Posted via Mobile Device
We've all done it
Quote:
Originally Posted by With Grace View Post
Congrats Rachel for getting over your fear and riding Bella again! Also, way to go with letting your BO know about the friends saddle fit, hope that works itself out for you.
Thank you, I know I should have done it sooner, I'm just such a push over

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilHorseOfDoom View Post
Congratulations on getting back in the saddle!

From what I could see of her at the walk on the long rain, she doesn't seem to be able to stretch out enough due to the length of the reins. At the canter she seems to be falling onto the forehand but I don't see Nikki pulling on her head or anything - I'd see this as a balance issue for Bella, and it may just be because she hasn't been ridden in a while (am I correct?) and needs to develop the strength in her back end. I'd do plenty of trotwork and work on a long rein, and let her back swing free, plus do work on downward transitions (and half halts within the gaits) to lighten her forehand and shift her balance back to her hindquarters - but there are far more knowledgeable people on here than me who'll give you far better answers I'd be investing in a longer pair of reins though.
Thanks! I just bought that bridle and it was the first time I ever used it, it was a cheapy $24 bridle. I didn't find the reins to be too short tho, but I have 3 other english bridles. She has been in regular work, but ridden in a saddle that doesn't fit and by a rider with very heavy hands and I think that is causing the issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allison Finch View Post
You have a very nice mare. I like her. One thing that sticks out in the video. It is hard to be sure due to the quality of the video, but I get the impression that the bit is too high in her mouth. It looks like the cheeks could be dropped a hole or two.

If the bridle is too tight, it may hold the bit in an uncomfortable place in the mouth. That can cause some fussiness. Show a close up photo of the bit placement.
It was the first time I used the bridle so the bit placement may have been off. I tried to lower it today when the other woman was riding her(in my saddle, which the whole time ridding in it she complained about it being too big). I thought it looked better lowered a whole on each side and the other woman said it was fine where it was and I insisted we put it down, then she put it up before she got on because it was too low . I don't really have any clear photos but I tried to clean up the photos I do have.




Rachel1786 is offline  
post #10 of 16 Old 09-12-2012, 11:14 PM Thread Starter
Started
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: northeast Pennsylvania
Posts: 2,199
• Horses: 6
Oh and again she bucked for the other woman! When she did it she was like "Bella you haven't done this in a while" Which is BS because she was bucking 4x as much and higher just last Tuesday when I saw her ride. To me it seemed like she was saying it to be like "see she still bucks even with your saddle"

Allison, Can I PM you?
Rachel1786 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I've finally gotten back on my horse-First time in 7 months! Videos too! Rachel1786 Horse Talk 0 09-08-2012 05:20 PM
Bella 4 months later loveisabug Other Pets 3 09-02-2012 05:10 PM
Took me six months, but we're getting there! (Pics w/ videos) Caboose Horse Pictures 13 05-05-2009 10:34 PM
Bella at Two Months now... Small_Town_Girl General Off Topic Discussion 8 04-08-2009 12:30 AM
Any critique, please? First time riding Blu in months. BluMagic Horse Riding Critique 5 04-03-2008 07:54 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome