Critique my 2 year old
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Riding Horses > Horse Riding Critique

Critique my 2 year old

This is a discussion on Critique my 2 year old within the Horse Riding Critique forums, part of the Riding Horses category
  • Horseforum.com tennessee walking critique site:www.horseforum.com

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    04-16-2008, 10:10 PM
  #1
Started
Critique my 2 year old

My boy turned 2 years old the 23rd of March! Please critique him for me. I want to know ALL his faults and if there is any way to fix them, please let me know! Rip him apart and be as harsh as you like. I know he's got faults and all, but he's perfect in my eyes. I konw that the pictures are kinda dark... sorry, they're the best that I have. My camera was being a butt.

Dakota Bay
2 years old
Tennessee Walking Horse
Currently 14.3 hands
Unregistered

Left side:


Right side:


Front:


Back:
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    04-16-2008, 10:22 PM
  #2
Showing
I love that little guy. For a 2 year old he's got very correct conformation. I love the size of his joints. Is he a purebred?
     
    04-16-2008, 10:22 PM
  #3
Foal
Downhill, upright shoulder, lowset neck and not particularly muscular. Plainish head. Working correctly back to front will help with the neck and gaining muscle. He's cute, and looks like a kind guy.
     
    04-16-2008, 10:30 PM
  #4
Yearling
I try to point out things I like and thinks I don't, I hate it when people critique a horse and say nothing but bad stuff and then say "but he's cute!" at the end. (EDIT TO ADD: nothing at anyone above, I started typing this before you guys posted, sorry!)

He looks splay footed and knock-kneed in the front and may be cow hocked and sickle-hocked but may not be. One picture looks like it and another does not.

He has a very upright shoulder. His neck ties in very well into his chest, it doesn't tie in too deep or low, and gives his neck a nice thickness (IMO). His pasterns are a very comfortable length and angle perfectly with the slope of his hoof.

He looks goose-rumped with his high-set tail and short croup and his quarters tie in rather high in comparison with his gaskin.

Overall, he looks like a baby that needs to finish growing, some things he will grow out of and some will progress with age and some things will be hidden as he grows.
     
    04-16-2008, 10:31 PM
  #5
Started
Quote:
I love that little guy. For a 2 year old he's got very correct conformation. I love the size of his joints. Is he a purebred?
His joints? How come you like the size of them, if you don't mind me asking... I've always worried about the size of them... they're so huge! Oh, yes, he's purebred, but he's not registered as his dam isn't registered... if he gaits, then I may register him, but I really don't see a reason too unless I'm going to sell him, which I'm not.

Quote:
Downhill, upright shoulder, lowset neck and not particularly muscular. Plainish head. Working correctly back to front will help with the neck and gaining muscle. He's cute, and looks like a kind guy.
Thanks! I've not really started training him yet, so he doesn't have much muscle at all, I know... He is a sweet horse though, and he think's he's a dog... Lol. But I adore him, and he's got a home with me for life.
     
    04-16-2008, 10:38 PM
  #6
Started
Quote:
I try to point out things I like and thinks I don't, I hate it when people critique a horse and say nothing but bad stuff and then say "but he's cute!" at the end. (EDIT TO ADD: nothing at anyone above, I started typing this before you guys posted, sorry!)

He looks splay footed and knock-kneed in the front and may be cow hocked and sickle-hocked but may not be. One picture looks like it and another does not.

He has a very upright shoulder. His neck ties in very well into his chest, it doesn't tie in too deep or low, and gives his neck a nice thickness (IMO). His pasterns are a very comfortable length and angle perfectly with the slope of his hoof.

He looks goose-rumped with his high-set tail and short croup and his quarters tie in rather high in comparison with his gaskin.

Overall, he looks like a baby that needs to finish growing, some things he will grow out of and some will progress with age and some things will be hidden as he grows.
Thanks for the critique! My farrier is working on correcting his hooves. One of the farriers I used when he was born and through his first year really messed his hooves up. He messed my mare's hooves up too... I'm glad I switched to another. His dam has an upright shoulder too, but she's a smooth ride, and I'm hoping that he will be too.

I'm waiting for him to grow a little more before I start actually training training him... he's spoilt rotten and knows that he's my baby boy. Lol. I wouldn't trade him for the world, either.
     
    04-16-2008, 10:38 PM
  #7
Foal
Sorry if I was a little blunt, I try to type before I forget what I'm seeing. It seems like the moment I can't see the pic I forget the flaws or the strengths. :P What are you planning to do with the little guy?
     
    04-16-2008, 10:45 PM
  #8
Started
Quote:
Sorry if I was a little blunt, I try to type before I forget what I'm seeing. It seems like the moment I can't see the pic I forget the flaws or the strengths. What are you planning to do with the little guy?
It's ok, I like to know what others think of my horses. Lol. I'm absolutely horrid at critiquing my horses... heck, I'm horrid at critiquing period. Lol.

My mare (Dakota's dam) is just a back country pasture nag... we trail ride on all the trails and along the sides of the roads out here... I'm probably going to end up doing that with Dakota... I'm not interesting in showing and he's not show quality... Hopefully, I'll get a horse in a few years that I can show, but I'm perfectly happy just trail riding like I do. If Dakota has any of his dam's trail sense, he'll make an exception trail horse. My mare loves trails, and I'm hoping that he will too.
     
    04-16-2008, 11:28 PM
  #9
Yearling
I can never see the flaws in my horse until someone points them out. My horse is pigeon toed, quite bad actually and I didn't even notice until I was told. He paddles when he moves and I didn't see that either until my mom showed me a video, that is from being pigeon toed though.
     
    04-17-2008, 01:32 AM
  #10
Started
Quote:
I can never see the flaws in my horse until someone points them out. My horse is pigeon toed, quite bad actually and I didn't even notice until I was told. He paddles when he moves and I didn't see that either until my mom showed me a video, that is from being pigeon toed though.
Lol. A few years ago, I coulddn't see the flaws in my horses... I've studied a lot in the past few years, but I still don't know all the terms for everything... Lol.
     

Quick Reply
Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0