Critique my boy, please! - Page 2
   

       The Horse Forum > Riding Horses > Horse Riding Critique

Critique my boy, please!

This is a discussion on Critique my boy, please! within the Horse Riding Critique forums, part of the Riding Horses category

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        11-16-2008, 10:21 AM
      #11
    Banned
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Britt    
    Thanks for your opinion. I know it's not good to ride a two year old a lot, which is why I'm not riding him a lot. I ride him maybe once a month (if that) and am doing it just to make sure he knows his basic walk/trot/stop/backup (I'll add canter too, but I haven't taught him that, it was an accident that we cantered).

    My farrier keeps telling me how I should have my boy doing hard stops from a canter and spinning... and everyone out here is pressuring me to work with more things with Dakota, but I'm going his speed. He's getting winter off until about March (the month he was born), so his work will begin again when he's three years old.
    There is nothing wrong with what you are doing. Next year when he will have evened himself out it should not be difficult to continue his training.

    I broke my boy at 2 1/2 and it took all of 10 minutes. I had done a lot of things with him but at very short periods of time and over the previous 2 years. I rode him for 10 minutes once a month and upped it to 10 minutes twice a month a few months after the initial breaking.

    Breaking and working with a horse requires common sense and if that is applied you should not run into trouble.

    BTW...my boy is over 16 years old and the soundest horse you will ever find.
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        11-16-2008, 10:50 AM
      #12
    Showing
    I know this is a little off topic and the advise you've been given is good but it drives me crazy to see someone handling a horse in bare feet and flip flops. That is just such a dangerous thing to be doing and the excuse about only doing it for a moment doesn't justify it. It only takes a moment to get stepped on or to trip due to a stone in your sandal to cause a wreck.

    Anyway - that is me talking like I would to a grandchild.
         
        11-16-2008, 03:49 PM
      #13
    Foal
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Britt    
    Thanks for your opinion. I know it's not good to ride a two year old a lot, which is why I'm not riding him a lot. I ride him maybe once a month (if that) and am doing it just to make sure he knows his basic walk/trot/stop/backup (I'll add canter too, but I haven't taught him that, it was an accident that we cantered).

    Myfarrier keeps telling me how I should have my boy doing hard stops from a canter and spinning... and everyone out here is pressuring me to work with more things with Dakota, but I'm going his speed. He's getting winter off until about March (the month he was born), so his work will begin again when he's three years old.
    Ok, aslong as he is accepting everything then there is nothing to worry about.
         
        11-16-2008, 07:49 PM
      #14
    Weanling
    I agree with Spyder. Starting him lightly at 2 should be just fine as long as you don't over do it. Trying to get them completely finishd and ready to show at two is what breaks a horse down (sometimes). Did you do a string test on him to see how tall he will get? He looks like he has a lot more growing to do. Nice improvement on his condition.
         
        11-16-2008, 09:23 PM
      #15
    Started
    Quote:
    I agree with Spyder. Starting him lightly at 2 should be just fine as long as you don't over do it. Trying to get them completely finishd and ready to show at two is what breaks a horse down (sometimes). Did you do a string test on him to see how tall he will get? He looks like he has a lot more growing to do. Nice improvement on his condition.
    I haven't lately, but I've doe a string test twice before and both times it 'said' that he would get about 15.3 hands. I think he'll make it to 15.2 hands and stop, but we'll see.

    His dam is 15.1 hands, and his sire is 15 hands... but their sires and dams were 15.3 hands and taller... so who knows...
         
        12-06-2008, 12:31 PM
      #16
    Foal
    He is sway back because you are riding him at a young age, and wait till he gets a little older.
         
        12-06-2008, 01:14 PM
      #17
    Banned
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by handytsabre    
    he is sway back because you are riding him at a young age, and wait till he gets a little older.

    This horse is NOT swaybacked. He is a young horse caught in the middle of a growth spurt. Almost all my horses were bought very very young and this "hind end up" position is very common.

    The horse will even out in time.
         

    Thread Tools



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:54 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0