critique my english riding!!! - Page 2
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Riding Horses > Horse Riding Critique

critique my english riding!!!

This is a discussion on critique my english riding!!! within the Horse Riding Critique forums, part of the Riding Horses category

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        08-23-2009, 08:09 PM
      #11
    Started
    I didn't read what other said so I am sorry if I repeat...

    Shorten your sturrups (they should hit your ankle bone when you leg is relaxed)
    Try a egg but snaffle or a slow twisted d ring snaffle
    The reins should come up out of your thumbs ... google it I am having a hard time explaining it haha
    Make sure that the saddle isn't punching his withers

    Good luck! :)
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        08-23-2009, 08:29 PM
      #12
    Showing
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kchfuller    
    i didn't read what other said so I am sorry if I repeat...

    Shorten your sturrups (they should hit your ankle bone when you leg is relaxed)
    Try a egg but snaffle or a slow twisted d ring snaffle
    The reins should come up out of your thumbs ... google it I am having a hard time explaining it haha
    Make sure that the saddle isn't punching his withers

    Good luck! :)
    May I ask why you recommend a slow twist snaffle?

    Personally I try to stay away from any non-smooth bar. Any twist to the snaffle is amplified onto a horse's sensitive lips, and I really don't understand the need for one.
         
        08-23-2009, 08:34 PM
      #13
    Started
    It is still a mild bit (especially in comparison to the one that she has on her horse right now- or in the pics) but gives you some control and it's harsh, in my opinion :)

    **disclaimer ... ANY bit can be bad with someone who has harsh hands**
         
        08-23-2009, 08:35 PM
      #14
    Started
    https://www.bluegrasshorsesupply.com...butt.-mjpg.jpg

    Here is a pic of what I am thinking about
         
        08-23-2009, 08:44 PM
      #15
    Trained
    I'm going to disagree, I don't think there is a plave for twisted bits in ANY horses mouth. I don't see any practical need for them.
         
        08-23-2009, 08:56 PM
      #16
    Started
    To each his own ... I disagree but I have very soft hand so that is why I put the disclaimer :)
         
        08-23-2009, 09:07 PM
      #17
    Trained
    ^ That's fair enough, but if you have a soft hand and (i'm assuming) a horse who listens to your soft aids, why do you need any type of twist in your bit?
         
        08-23-2009, 09:18 PM
      #18
    Showing
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wild_spot    
    ^ That's fair enough, but if you have a soft hand and (i'm assuming) a horse who listens to your soft aids, why do you need any type of twist in your bit?
    I agree, but then again I'm very conservative with bits. I hate selling anything other than mild snaffles and can usually talk people into trying something other than a severe bit (yay!)
         
        08-23-2009, 09:38 PM
      #19
    Trained
    Quote:
    I agree, but then again I'm very conservative with bits. I hate selling anything other than mild snaffles and can usually talk people into trying something other than a severe bit (yay!)
    Me too :] I've only once ridden in anything other than a snaffle, and that was a kimberwick without slots, as the pony in question had a lot of issues stemming from abuse and would get his tongue over the bit in a nervous frenzy. I haven't found a horse or activity I can't ride successfully in a simple snaffle.
         
        08-24-2009, 10:53 AM
      #20
    Started
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wild_spot    
    ^ That's fair enough, but if you have a soft hand and (i'm assuming) a horse who listens to your soft aids, why do you need any type of twist in your bit?
    I have a 6 yr old OTTB and I 90% of the time rider her in either a normal egg butt snaffle or a 3 piece egg butt snaffle... BUT when I show I need a little more control and reminder that yes we are at a new place but I am still the boss. She is young and will learn- I do not want her to have a hard mouth though and that is why I feel that it is ok. I know TONS of people who use a different bit when showing ...

    But back to the topic at hand for this thread ... if she needs a little more control I don't think a slow twist is too harsh ...
         

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    me riding English!! In an actual english saddle!! alucard Horse Pictures 4 07-20-2009 12:11 PM
    Please Critique My Riding(English) kaykat31 Horse Riding Critique 4 02-28-2009 05:21 PM
    riding english kershkova English Riding 12 01-07-2009 07:42 PM
    Getting back into riding-lease choice and riding critique! missy06 Horse Riding Critique 9 05-02-2008 04:50 PM
    Western riding vs. English riding. SonnyWimps Horse Riding 4 04-04-2008 04:24 PM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:55 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0