Critique my Equitation - Page 3
   

       The Horse Forum > Riding Horses > Horse Riding Critique

Critique my Equitation

This is a discussion on Critique my Equitation within the Horse Riding Critique forums, part of the Riding Horses category

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        04-23-2009, 03:31 PM
      #21
    Foal
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MIEventer    
    Thanks everyone for your support :) I highly appreciate it.

    Remember - it is easy to misinterpret words on a computer screen, when you get no tone of voice or facial expressions.

    Read the message behind the posts, not how you think it sounds.

    Like it or lump it, I guess. Easy to scroll past my posts.

    This is - afterall - JUST a forum.
    I actually quite like your posts. Blunt, to the point and very informative. Some people just can't understand others opinions I guess.
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        04-23-2009, 03:35 PM
      #22
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LeahKathleen    
    I still don't feel that MIEventer was disrespectful. Rather, I think she made a point -not- to be disrespectful.
    Well I felt differently maybe we are both right.
         
        04-23-2009, 03:36 PM
      #23
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LisaClarke    
    I actually quite like your posts. Blunt, to the point and very informative. Some people just can't understand others opinions I guess.
    Oh I can understand.
         
        04-23-2009, 03:41 PM
      #24
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MIEventer    
    Thanks everyone for your support :) I highly appreciate it.

    Remember - it is easy to misinterpret words on a computer screen, when you get no tone of voice or facial expressions.

    Read the message behind the posts, not how you think it sounds.

    Like it or lump it, I guess. Easy to scroll past my posts.

    This is - afterall - JUST a forum.
    Yes very true.
    Sry for the double posts the quotes were not on the same page.
         
        04-23-2009, 03:44 PM
      #25
    Trained
    Quote:
    The judges like an arched back not hollow just enough to feel the back muscles. It also balances the horse out makes him sit on his haunches instead of on his forehand. It will also put the rider in a more secure position say if the horse decides to do something naughty. I know how it feels when I arch my back. I use my abdominal muscles more and my horse becomes so much more balanced beneath me.
    I am going to disagree - god forbid, but I am.

    You do not balance your horse out by hollowing out your lower back - you balance your horse by being balanced yourself. You are out, so is your horse. The moment you hollow your lower back, you've now - again - lost your balance, and your core. Those two, make a balanced and effective rider.

    Lets look at the picture - REMEMBER we MUST BE EFFECTIVE AND FUNCTIONAL - NOT PRETTY AND POSED!!

    This horse is activated and moving forward which is fabulous - the rider has an effective seat, BUT it would be much more effective if she was over her horses verticle.

    Her horse is on his forehand, dropped back and high back end - but can be fixed if the rider sat up taller, brough her shoulders back, carried her hands, closed her elbow angle and lifted her horse up and into her.

    She is effective, but can be much more if she just tweaked a few things.

    You hollow your lower back - you've become an unbalanced rider.

    A more secure position - is achieved through being balanced, and anchored via correct legs and heels.

    If this horse in the picture made a move - I guarantee you she would be planted tight in her tack because she is effective via seat, lower leg, lower back. Her upper body - again, needs to be taller.

    You loose your function of your abs when you hollow out your lower back. Do a test right now- hollow out your lower back, how effective are your abs? Now straiten your lower back, now how much more effective are your abs?
         
        04-23-2009, 03:56 PM
      #26
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MIEventer    
    I am going to disagree - god forbid, but I am.

    You do not balance your horse out by hollowing out your lower back - you balance your horse by being balanced yourself. You are out, so is your horse. The moment you hollow your lower back, you've now - again - lost your balance, and your core. Those two, make a balanced and effective rider.

    Lets look at the picture - REMEMBER we MUST BE EFFECTIVE AND FUNCTIONAL - NOT PRETTY AND POSED!!

    This horse is activated and moving forward which is fabulous - the rider has an effective seat, BUT it would be much more effective if she was over her horses verticle.

    Her horse is on his forehand, dropped back and high back end - but can be fixed if the rider sat up taller, brough her shoulders back, carried her hands, closed her elbow angle and lifted her horse up and into her.

    She is effective, but can be much more if she just tweaked a few things.

    You hollow your lower back - you've become an unbalanced rider.

    A more secure position - is achieved through being balanced, and anchored via correct legs and heels.

    If this horse in the picture made a move - I guarantee you she would be planted tight in her tack because she is effective via seat, lower leg, lower back. Her upper body - again, needs to be taller.

    You loose your function of your abs when you hollow out your lower back. Do a test right now- hollow out your lower back, how effective are your abs? Now straiten your lower back, now how much more effective are your abs?
    I did the test and I felt my abs tight when I arched my back then when I lowered it relaxed.
    I disagree. But hey everyone has different opinions and ideas.
         
        04-23-2009, 03:58 PM
      #27
    Weanling
    And I didn't say hollow. I think theres a big difference.
         
        04-23-2009, 04:04 PM
      #28
    Trained
    To arch your lower back, you hollow it.

    When we ride, we must ride with our cores - our cores must be activated. Ever heard the term - pretend there is a string attached to your belly button, and imagine someone behind you pulling on that string.

    Because when you straiten your lower back, you are pulling your abs inwards, activating them.

    Ever do a sit up? Same idea - activating your ab's. When you do a sit up, you pull your tummy muscles inwards.

    Proof is in the pudding - same when you are in the saddle. Effectiveness.
         
        04-23-2009, 04:10 PM
      #29
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MIEventer    
    To arch your lower back, you hollow it.

    When we ride, we must ride with our cores - our cores must be activated. Ever heard the term - pretend there is a string attached to your belly button, and imagine someone behind you pulling on that string.

    Because when you straiten your lower back, you are pulling your abs inwards, activating them.

    Ever do a sit up? Same idea - activating your ab's. When you do a sit up, you pull your tummy muscles inwards.

    Proof is in the pudding - same when you are in the saddle. Effectiveness.
    I disagree. But that's ok.
         
        04-24-2009, 11:24 AM
      #30
    Foal
    Well, aside from all the arguements, Thank you all for your critiques. I will be sure to keep them in mind.
    I did just want to say about my horse, a few of you have mentioned about my horses lack of muscle/weight. These pictures were taken a few weeks after I had purchased her. She is an OTTB and had lost all her racing weight and muscling in a very short amount of time. She is now looking much better. I will post updated pics soon.
    Thanks again for the critique :)
         

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    English Equitation Video Critique - Beginner cowgirlfitzy Horse Riding Critique 6 03-24-2009 07:07 PM
    Please critique my o/f equitation TBsPlease Horse Riding Critique 8 03-20-2009 10:45 AM
    Critique My Equitation? equinexxlove Horse Riding Critique 4 07-24-2008 11:45 AM
    Equitation LoveMyAppy Horse Riding Critique 11 02-03-2008 11:56 AM
    equitation moomoo Horse Shows 3 06-27-2007 10:06 AM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:11 AM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0