critique my girls - Page 2
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Riding Horses > Horse Riding Critique

critique my girls

This is a discussion on critique my girls within the Horse Riding Critique forums, part of the Riding Horses category

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        04-02-2008, 02:40 PM
      #11
    Foal
    I do keep the halter on because I've had problems with the horses not liking each other I keep them loose enough so if they lay into them it will slip off and I tested it to make sure it would work can't use a regular halter on maggie it was rubbing her cheeks raw
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        04-02-2008, 10:10 PM
      #12
    Green Broke
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by .Delete.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mlkarel2010
    Do you keep them in the pasture with their halters on? That's a really bad idea.... especially with rope halters because they won't break if a horse gets it stuck and they can hang themselves.....
    I cannot even being to explain how much I disagree with that.

    I keep halters on my horses at all times. Its a safety percausion. Rope halters yes, I advise not to keep on but regular halters, if they are fitted correctly need to be on. I have had my fair share of horses get lose without halters and im telling you it will never happen again. They will always have halters incase something happens. You never know what could come up.

    Just had to say that
    I was mostly worried about the fact they are rope halters..... Other than that i'm not all-out against it
         
        04-03-2008, 01:22 AM
      #13
    Foal
    I love the face and color of dandy (if she was built uphill, I would come and steal her from you as my dressage horse even though the judges don't really like the colored breed)(even so, if your colored horse moves much better then the $25,000 dollar horse, the judge can't ignore.) I also love taking an older unreg. Mix-breed broodmare with out much training that is hairy and you can tell her age into the ring and beating the 6yr.old warmblood gelding
    (they don't like it when I do the local shows)
    As far as Maggie goes, keep up the good work. I just got a really skinny TB mare (but no where near as skinny as Maggie) that has started to gain weight. Have you tried giving her beet pulp? Also, if in a stall, keep lots of hay in front of her
         
        04-03-2008, 01:26 AM
      #14
    Foal
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dinglehead
    Maggie is a rescue horse and we're still working on her weight. I'll try to get some better pictures tomorrow I didn't have anyone to hold them and it was around feeding time so they were not standing still Maggie does have some joint problems. But even if she's never really ridable I still love that old sweetheart :) I got both horses for free never look a gift horse in the mouth LOL
    I really don't care what anyone thinks of my older retired/rescue horse's conformation...as long as they can get around in the pasture soundly, that's fine with me
         
        04-03-2008, 03:19 AM
      #15
    Weanling
    I really like the first ones colouring!

    Congrats for rescueing them

    Quote:
    dinglehead wrote:
    Maggie is a rescue horse and we're still working on her weight. I'll try to get some better pictures tomorrow I didn't have anyone to hold them and it was around feeding time so they were not standing still Maggie does have some joint problems. But even if she's never really ridable I still love that old sweetheart I got both horses for free never look a gift horse in the mouth LOL

    I really don't care what anyone thinks of my older retired/rescue horse's conformation...as long as they can get around in the pasture soundly, that's fine with me
    Thats correct, although she asked for a critique.
         
        04-03-2008, 05:26 AM
      #16
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by love-a-hero
    Thats correct, although she asked for a critique.
    She asked for a critique on Maggie's condition, not conformation.


    Dinglehead, GREAT job getting & keeping weight on Maggie in only 2 months! And Dandy is very cute & pretty with a nice, alert look. It's hard to see her confo well because of her motion and camera angle.

    I would seriously consider not keeping those rope halters on for turnout. Even if you can slip them off by hand, they might not slip off if twisted and knotted around a post/branch/hoof/whatever. Is it possible to turnout Maggie without a halter and get a leather one for Dandy?
         
        04-03-2008, 07:54 AM
      #17
    Showing
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dinglehead
    it would work can't use a regular halter on maggie it was rubbing her cheeks raw
    My horse got bold spots on cheeks after month of nylon halter too so I know what you are talking about. :( Can you try may be the padded one or something? It's not the best for warmer weather, but at least a try... Something like that
    http://www.chicksaddlery.com/page/CDS/PROD/2000/AK4400

    P.S. I didn't try to pick on you in any way with the rope halters, but my barn owner used to keep rope halters on her mustangs and ended up with the bad accident with one of them. :( Horses can ALWAYS find something to hurt themself.
         
        04-03-2008, 11:29 AM
      #18
    Foal
    Tell me about it Leroy got a rake handle stuck up his butt when I left it out once it was horrible took months to heal but he was alright the vet did say if it was half and inch to the left it would have punctured a major artery and he would have bled to death so I got lucky here's some more pictures of Dandy I absoutly love Dandy's color it suits her



    Got a picture of Dandy's butt



    This is the kind of day I hate Dandy she did this right when I was going to ride her

         
        04-03-2008, 11:59 AM
      #19
    Green Broke
    Very downhill, sickle hocked, cow hocked. Neck doesn't tie in correctly to the shoulder or the head. Over at the knees. Apple butt. Elbow doesn't line up with the withers correctly. Hamms are nice, pasturns look good. Nice head.
         
        04-03-2008, 01:05 PM
      #20
    Showing
    The 3rd pic (in water) is absolutely lovely!
         

    Quick Reply
    Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
    Message:
    Options

    Register Now

    In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

    Already have a Horse Forum account?
    Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

    New to the Horse Forum?
    Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

    User Name:
    Password
    Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
    Password:
    Confirm Password:
    Email Address
    Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
    Email Address:

    Log-in

    Human Verification

    In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


    Old Thread Warning
    This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

    Thread Tools



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:52 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0