Critique my jumping please! - Page 2
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Riding Horses > Horse Riding Critique

Critique my jumping please!

This is a discussion on Critique my jumping please! within the Horse Riding Critique forums, part of the Riding Horses category

    Like Tree6Likes

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        05-13-2012, 11:35 PM
      #11
    Started
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Oxer    
    you're sitting back a wee bit early. But i'm not too worried about that here. You're not jumping a huge fence, and you're definitely not catching your horse in the mouth.
    I think once you get stronger and you get the feel of the whole body mechanics behind jumping, you'll be just fine.

    And just a side note... I appreciate that you're wearing shoes at all. Albeit a bit unsafe, it's better than the things I see from time to time on this forum of people riding without shoes at all!! No thank you.
    Also, your decision to wear a helmet is something I also appreciate VERY much when choosing to jump.
    I actually had all the money saved for the english boots I was going to get, when I realized the horses needed more food for the next few months, so my boot fund went to feed the fat ponies! Hehe. I serioulsy would have a pair of boots though, if I could! And the helmet... although I don't love it, its anpart of me. Riding without one makes me feel prone to accidents, it makes me feel as if this will be the day I get bucked off, and end up landing on my head. Better safe, than sorry right? :)

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WesternBella    
    Im obviously not an english rider, but you looked fabulous to me!! :)

    That's awesome that you taught yourself, I think you looked fantastic!! :)
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Awe, thank you!!!



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shaggy    
    Thanks Oxer very well said. I've been trotting cross rails and ground poles but apparently since I have issues with the canter I shouldn't even being doing that according some people on this forum. Once again sorry for kinda hijacking your thread Gallop On
    Nope, you werent hijacking it :) Its fine :) I must say though... PLEASE, don't take this rudely, but before starting to do jumping, you should be able to be comfortable at all gaits... If your just doing ground poles, then... ... okay, I guess, but anything larger... ehh :P
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        05-14-2012, 01:34 AM
      #12
    Yearling
    Your not being rude Gallop I complete understand. So I'm taking things slow. Ground poles and a small cross rail (seeing how I only have like 4 actually poles to mess around with lol) Im trying to work myself up to not being so scared to canter my horse shaggy. I actually took a big step forward on a trail ride the other day when we up a big hill shaggy canter a few strides and I didn't get scared or come off!
         
        05-14-2012, 01:35 AM
      #13
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WesternBella    
    Ground poles are absolutely fine, it's the crossrails that make not being able to canter unsafe. I think it's great that you've decided to take it slow, if you do it properly; you could end up juming beautifully like Gallop On, maybe she can give you some tips? :)
    Posted via Mobile Device
    thanks Bella I hope get as good as Gallop is!
         
        05-14-2012, 01:07 PM
      #14
    Started
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shaggy    
    Your not being rude Gallop I complete understand. So I'm taking things slow. Ground poles and a small cross rail (seeing how I only have like 4 actually poles to mess around with lol) Im trying to work myself up to not being so scared to canter my horse shaggy. I actually took a big step forward on a trail ride the other day when we up a big hill shaggy canter a few strides and I didn't get scared or come off!
    Oh, that's great! Cantering by far is my favorite gait <3 Ahh, its so smooth, and... airy, and its just perfectly amazing. So, is their a reason your scared of Shaggys canter? Is he really bumpy, does he buck when he canters, have you fallen off before, or are you just nervous about it? And, could you get someone to lunge you on a line so you could canter easier? Or... ride another horse you might trust more in the canter? And... (another question, heh) Do you ever ride bareback? Like walking, and trotting...? I think if you could trot bareback, getting to canter in a saddle would be a synch... Anyway, just ideas :P
         
        05-14-2012, 08:15 PM
      #15
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gallop On    
    Oh, that's great! Cantering by far is my favorite gait <3 Ahh, its so smooth, and... airy, and its just perfectly amazing. So, is their a reason your scared of Shaggys canter? Is he really bumpy, does he buck when he canters, have you fallen off before, or are you just nervous about it? And, could you get someone to lunge you on a line so you could canter easier? Or... ride another horse you might trust more in the canter? And... (another question, heh) Do you ever ride bareback? Like walking, and trotting...? I think if you could trot bareback, getting to canter in a saddle would be a synch... Anyway, just ideas :P
    lol lots of questions I fell off cause his canter is so bumpy and choppy from him having a short back. I don't have anybody to lunge line me cause I'm all alone at the place where I board and the only ridable horse at the moment is mine. Lol I do ride bareback all the time! I even trotted the ground poles bareback!
         
        05-14-2012, 11:25 PM
      #16
    Started
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shaggy    
    lol lots of questions I fell off cause his canter is so bumpy and choppy from him having a short back. I don't have anybody to lunge line me cause I'm all alone at the place where I board and the only ridable horse at the moment is mine. Lol I do ride bareback all the time! I even trotted the ground poles bareback!
    Ehh, one of my horses hasd a bumpy canter too. Its not fun to ride. I much prefered trotting on him, because atleast with trotting on him, I can post, but when he got into a canter... It was bad. BUT, the more and more I cantered him, the smoother he got!!! He got EXTREMELY smoother.
         
        05-15-2012, 03:26 PM
      #17
    Foal
    I don't have much to say about being scared of cantering and whatnot because I'm not sure what advice to give, though if Shaggy lived in Florida I'd say they could certainly come ride my horse who has a rocking horse canter. But good luck to you, Shaggy!(:
    Anyways, I just wanted to say that you look really great Gallop_On! I'm so impressed and it's great that you taught yourself so well! Keep it up!
         
        05-15-2012, 09:44 PM
      #18
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gallop On    
    Ehh, one of my horses hasd a bumpy canter too. Its not fun to ride. I much prefered trotting on him, because atleast with trotting on him, I can post, but when he got into a canter... It was bad. BUT, the more and more I cantered him, the smoother he got!!! He got EXTREMELY smoother.
    I hope one day I can get him smoothed out but another problem that contributed to me coming off is the ring where I ride is way to small and going at the canter in it is dangerous cause turns get sharp. My ex trainer kept saying that she was going to her now ex husband to widen it and she never did.
         
        05-15-2012, 09:48 PM
      #19
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DealingJacks    
    I don't have much to say about being scared of cantering and whatnot because I'm not sure what advice to give, though if Shaggy lived in Florida I'd say they could certainly come ride my horse who has a rocking horse canter. But good luck to you, Shaggy!(:
    Anyways, I just wanted to say that you look really great Gallop_On! I'm so impressed and it's great that you taught yourself so well! Keep it up!
    I would love to come ride your horse if I lived in florida! I rode my cousin who lives down there in daytona and he took off in a canter on me cause my cousin insisted I use the whip to get him to trot. Lol it was experience that's for sure but his canter was so smooth! I didn't get get brave enough to try it again tho
         
        05-15-2012, 11:13 PM
      #20
    Foal
    Oh, gosh! That sounds.. thrilling in a terrifying way, haha! I never ride my horse with a crop, he is very willing to go. He used to take off, but it seems as though that is behind us now. Were you riding him in a large arena? If so, you should go back and try it again! He may be able to take off, but he can't get too far(; I don't have a ring, we just ride around on my five acres. That can be quite the adventure lol! And Daytona is actually pretty close to me! Small world(: Anyways, keep up the good work Shaggy! You'll build confidence over time. Rome wasn't built in a night. But all that really matters is that it was, in fact, built, if you get what I mean(:

    And as I said before, Gallop_On you're a great rider, especially for being self taught! You ever want to give some lessons, let me know(;
         

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Oh my! We went English?! & Are JUMPING?! First time jumping Critique(: Easter Horse Riding Critique 3 04-10-2012 03:47 PM
    Please do a jumping critique of Eddie jumping 3'9". fortheloveofhorse Horse Riding Critique 18 09-18-2009 01:56 AM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:38 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0