Critique my new horse... more pictures :) - The Horse Forum
 39Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 01-13-2013, 01:14 AM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 73
• Horses: 0
Exclamation Critique my new horse... more pictures :)

Hey guys, so I uploaded another photo of my baby earlier, however loits of people asked for more photos
So, Here they are :)
Jumping photos will be up soon

Thanksss
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0774.jpg (97.6 KB, 1123 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0727.jpg (93.9 KB, 301 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0778.jpg (92.7 KB, 1858 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0799.jpg (73.3 KB, 359 views)

Thanks
jenniferw is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 19 Old 01-13-2013, 01:31 AM
Foal
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 117
• Horses: 1
He's cuuuute, could use some fat and muscle on him. How old is he and do you plan on doing show jumping or what with him?
JumpingJiminy is offline  
post #3 of 19 Old 01-13-2013, 01:38 AM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 73
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpingJiminy View Post
He's cuuuute, could use some fat and muscle on him. How old is he and do you plan on doing show jumping or what with him?
Hey, Yes, I already do show jumping on him, he is incredible. he is 14 i bought him from a friend of mine, he is quite thin because of the stress of moving from place to place and having many different riders, but these are kind of old pctures. He already has such better muscle definition :P

Thanks
jenniferw is offline  
post #4 of 19 Old 01-13-2013, 08:28 AM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Medway, Kent
Posts: 994
• Horses: 20
I think that once he is muscled up he will be a handsome boy!
Snizard93 is offline  
post #5 of 19 Old 01-14-2013, 02:06 AM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 2,655
• Horses: 10
Cute horse.

2 things. He shouldn't be jumping in that condition. And holy too much hardware on his head.

Flirt-Hugo-Phoenix-Romance-Fanta-Nippa-Shiloh
Trojan 09.11.02 - 26.10.10 // Kody 01.09.89-25.06.12 // Rex 05.11.95-21.12.12
HowClever is offline  
post #6 of 19 Old 01-14-2013, 07:25 AM
Foal
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Vilnius, Lithuania
Posts: 20
• Horses: 0
Forgive me if my remarks sound a bit harsh but - a Pessoa bit AND draw reins???... Whoah... I think both of you should to go back to the basics as that's where the problem lies if that much gear is the only way you can control him. Physically he is not fit to jump, either.
By the way - using draw reins will never allow you to get him onto a correct contact. From a biomechanical training point of view it is a completely useless and potentially harming training 'aid'.
Justina is offline  
post #7 of 19 Old 01-14-2013, 08:45 AM
Foal
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Midwest
Posts: 33
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justina View Post
Forgive me if my remarks sound a bit harsh but - a Pessoa bit AND draw reins???... Whoah... I think both of you should to go back to the basics as that's where the problem lies if that much gear is the only way you can control him. Physically he is not fit to jump, either.
By the way - using draw reins will never allow you to get him onto a correct contact. From a biomechanical training point of view it is a completely useless and potentially harming training 'aid'.
Pessoa, draw reins, AND a running martingale. Took me a minute to see the martingale under all the other junk. I agree with everything you said, and also want to add that I hope he's not being jumped with all the garbage on.

Last edited by Tangiest Illicitness; 01-14-2013 at 08:48 AM.
Tangiest Illicitness is offline  
post #8 of 19 Old 01-14-2013, 11:41 AM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 73
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justina View Post
Forgive me if my remarks sound a bit harsh but - a Pessoa bit AND draw reins???... Whoah... I think both of you should to go back to the basics as that's where the problem lies if that much gear is the only way you can control him. Physically he is not fit to jump, either.
By the way - using draw reins will never allow you to get him onto a correct contact. From a biomechanical training point of view it is a completely useless and potentially harming training 'aid'.
Im sorry everyone, but he is perectly physically capable of jumping. There is nothing wrong with him at all. I think if you could all see him jump you would be in shock.
There is no reason that he shouldnt be jumping, he is in perfect health and there is only a lack of muscle in his neck, he has the under muscle because he was ridden wrong for a long time. The drawing reins are only to buiild up that muscle, not to help him get on contact because he wont be able to ever gain that contact because he has been trained wrong for so long.

Thanks
jenniferw is offline  
post #9 of 19 Old 01-14-2013, 12:05 PM
Foal
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Vilnius, Lithuania
Posts: 20
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangiest Illicitness View Post
Pessoa, draw reins, AND a running martingale. Took me a minute to see the martingale under all the other junk. I agree with everything you said, and also want to add that I hope he's not being jumped with all the garbage on.
Oh yeah, I completely missed it, I guess I was just cringing too much at the sight of the draw reins with the Pessoa...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferw View Post
Im sorry everyone, but he is perectly physically capable of jumping. There is nothing wrong with him at all. I think if you could all see him jump you would be in shock.
There is no reason that he shouldnt be jumping, he is in perfect health and there is only a lack of muscle in his neck, he has the under muscle because he was ridden wrong for a long time. The drawing reins are only to buiild up that muscle, not to help him get on contact because he wont be able to ever gain that contact because he has been trained wrong for so long.
Hmmm... I'm finding this explanation rather baffling as building neck muscles and using draw reins have nothing in common. Unless you want to build the muscle on the under side of the neck - then yes, it will do it, but your horse will be left with a moose type of neck which is short and stiff.

You say that he has been ridden wrong for a long time -then how can he physically be fit for jumping? If a horse has had the wrong type of work this would mean that he, for e.g. is not muscled right, his back is tight, hindquarters disengaged, not responsive to the rider's aids and perhaps too 'crazy' or the opposite - too apathetic - as a result of his previous work. Now this to me sounds nothing like perfectly fit for jumping. I mean, he probably could (and most likely does) - but SHOULD he?

Draw reins for muscle development - bad bad bad combo. Lunge to get him to stretch and lift his back, use cavalettis, straight lines and circles to get him in balance on the lunge and carry himself correctly. Lack of neck muscle is a reflection of his general muscle development, and when we try to tone and supple up our horses we don't do it bit by bit, e.g. back, quarters, neck or leg. It is done through a series of exercises that engages the whole body, develops and supples it.

When you choose things like draw reins for muscle building don't just listen to what someone told you. Try to think of WHY it does/doesn't do it and HOW it works. It all comes down to really basic biomechanics and anatomy of the horse.

How have you decided that your horse is incapable of being retrained? It's a genuine question, I really am interested, as I have worked with problem horses for a long time and one way or the other it has always proven possible to reschool them. Even a 21 year old trotter
Justina is offline  
post #10 of 19 Old 01-14-2013, 12:08 PM
Foal
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Vilnius, Lithuania
Posts: 20
• Horses: 0
It would be interesting to see a video of you two :)
Golden Horse and Horsealot like this.
Justina is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Winter canoeing pictures, horse pictures, snow pictures, a few more pictures... New_image Horse Pictures 8 09-23-2012 08:23 PM
New Horse and Old Horse Critique, Lots of Pictures tcb5040 Horse Riding Critique 6 07-20-2011 12:04 PM
Critique Horse Show Pictures Twilight Arabians General Off Topic Discussion 6 07-31-2009 02:48 PM
repost from 'horse pictures' . Annie <3 Confo critique!! danceonhooves Horse Riding Critique 2 06-04-2007 05:06 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome