Critique my position o/f please!
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Riding Horses > Horse Riding Critique

Critique my position o/f please!

This is a discussion on Critique my position o/f please! within the Horse Riding Critique forums, part of the Riding Horses category

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        01-15-2011, 12:38 PM
      #1
    Weanling
    Critique my position o/f please!

    I finally have some halfway decent footage of riding to share :)

    I will say - this was the first time wearing my paddock boots and while they didn't really hurt, it was a little hard to get my weight in my heels cause they were stiff.

    Also - I'm horrible at looking for distances through the corner so the green and white was a little deep. Scooter ate up the strides down the outside line more than my trainer OR I thought so we got pretty close to the last jump there, too. Of course it was better the second time I jumped it but my camera ran out of memory so the footage is off my mom's phone haha.

    I also flick my reins around at the beginning and after the first jump...the buckle of the rein was on top of the rein and I like it under, if that makes any sense.

    Please don't critique Scooter, he's not mine.


    The stop was 100% my fault. I started riding for one distance, second guessed myself, and didn't push him when I felt him start backing off.

    Do you guys think I should shorten my stirrups a hole? They feel fine to me but someone on another board mentioned that they might be a little long for jumping... ?

    Here's an older video for comparison:

    Feel free to tear me apart in the new videos
    Thanks!
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        01-15-2011, 12:55 PM
      #2
    Weanling
    I just have a few quick comments. In the new videos you seem a bit more active, like you're riding to the fences rather than passively waiting for the fences to approach you. Distances can be hard. The only thing I would suggest is pick a course of action and stick to it. Your uncertainty translated to your horse. It's much better to be confident and just trust that your horse will make it work - if he's a nice lesson horse like yours seems to be. Also, in the new video, I love, love, love how you don't tip forward as you get closer to the fences. You stay back and out of your horse's way. Good job!
    Posted via Mobile Device
         
        01-15-2011, 02:54 PM
      #3
    Weanling
    I don't have much to say... I'm not sure what style riding you do (ie. Jumpers, hunters etc.) but I tend to find sometimes it better to ride in 3-point (not two point, but not sitting with full contact on the saddle) when you're jumping. It looks smoother, and it's easier to make adjustments. It would also help you keep your leg stiller and more stable under you. For your jumping, it looks like you're sitting back a tad too early on some of the jumps. Try to hold your 2 point a little longer over the jumps. (I do that too ;) ) You could also try working on either a long release, or, when you're ready, an automatic release. The horse is very cute by the way :)
         
        01-15-2011, 03:14 PM
      #4
    Yearling
    I like the way you ride you sit back before the jumps (the germans ride like that) I personally don't like to sit in 2 point the whole time, if your horse ever falls over the jump or refuses your def going to come off. Sitting back will de save you. I also didnt thnk your stirrups were too long at all, as long as you can get your body out of the saddle and off his back your ok.
         
        01-15-2011, 04:52 PM
      #5
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Romantic Lyric    
    I just have a few quick comments. In the new videos you seem a bit more active, like you're riding to the fences rather than passively waiting for the fences to approach you. Distances can be hard. The only thing I would suggest is pick a course of action and stick to it. Your uncertainty translated to your horse. It's much better to be confident and just trust that your horse will make it work - if he's a nice lesson horse like yours seems to be. Also, in the new video, I love, love, love how you don't tip forward as you get closer to the fences. You stay back and out of your horse's way. Good job!
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Yeah I'm working on learning to trust my eye...I see distances but then I'm unsure whether to go for it or not and Scooter's not a horse to cover for me, haha. But when I do ride him right, he'll jump anything. We've leapt from a mile away and from the base of the jump...he'll do it all. He's awesome, haha.

    I'm quite happy that I don't tip any more - it used to be a BAAD habit of mine, one that resulted in more than a few falls off Scooter haha.

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hflmusicislife    
    I don't have much to say... I'm not sure what style riding you do (ie. Jumpers, hunters etc.) but I tend to find sometimes it better to ride in 3-point (not two point, but not sitting with full contact on the saddle) when you're jumping. It looks smoother, and it's easier to make adjustments. It would also help you keep your leg stiller and more stable under you. For your jumping, it looks like you're sitting back a tad too early on some of the jumps. Try to hold your 2 point a little longer over the jumps. (I do that too ;) ) You could also try working on either a long release, or, when you're ready, an automatic release. The horse is very cute by the way :)
    The next time I'm on a horse that I trust a little more, I'll definitely try a lighter seat; I know mine is quite deep. Scooter likes to stop and he can be quite a dirty stopper too, so I like to have a deeper seat to deal with him. But yes, I will definitely give that a try the next time I'm on Twiggy. And I've actually never been taught anything about a release...the trainer I started jumping with kinda just pointed me and told me to go [didn't learn a proper position until about 18 months ago] so my release is just kinda...whatever I end up doing haha. I think that's on my trainer's list of things to work on with me, though. Thank you!

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xXEventerXx    
    I like the way you ride you sit back before the jumps (the germans ride like that) I personally don't like to sit in 2 point the whole time, if your horse ever falls over the jump or refuses your def going to come off. Sitting back will de save you. I also didnt thnk your stirrups were too long at all, as long as you can get your body out of the saddle and off his back your ok.
    When I first started riding with my current instructor she was convinced that I started out riding dressage because I sat back so much and didn't half seat or 2 point, haha. I feel like if I tried to 2-point through a course on Scooter...I'd be on the ground. He likes to refuse. A lot.
         
        01-15-2011, 05:10 PM
      #6
    Yearling
    Yea its best to sit back just before the jump and when you ready sit forward. Your a jumper right? Not a hunter
         
        01-15-2011, 06:20 PM
      #7
    Weanling
    Yeah. The barn I ride at is a hunter/jumper barn but I definitely sit more towards the jumper side of things.

    Just curious - would anyone have guessed that Scooter is blind in his right eye?
         
        01-15-2011, 08:43 PM
      #8
    Weanling
    I def like your deeper position. You are riding more to the fences, but it looks less beginner. You can really see it in your turns and more put - togetherness between fences.

    In your new vids I wouldn't have guessed there were any eyesight problems, but in the old one where you're less organized, you can see he needs more of a heads up in the one direction.
         
        01-26-2011, 03:27 PM
      #9
    Weanling
    Thank you :) I'm so happy - I used to cut my corners SOOOO bad. I leaned and then didn't correct the horse when he leaned with me...it was bad. Lead to many refusals since we'd come to the jump on a very very tight turn, lol. But it looks like after 7 years, I'm finally starting to put what I know in theory into action!
         

    Quick Reply
    Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
    Message:
    Options

    Register Now

    In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

    Already have a Horse Forum account?
    Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

    New to the Horse Forum?
    Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

    User Name:
    Password
    Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
    Password:
    Confirm Password:
    Email Address
    Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
    Email Address:

    Log-in

    Human Verification

    In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


    Old Thread Warning
    This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Please Critique My Position horseluver2435 Horse Riding Critique 32 12-15-2010 09:58 PM
    position critique Waybueno Horse Riding Critique 6 09-29-2010 12:57 AM
    Critique My Position! AngelWithoutWings54 Horse Riding Critique 6 08-03-2010 02:36 PM
    Critique my position TracyTracy Horse Riding Critique 2 10-14-2008 02:13 PM
    Critique My Position Corey NC Horse Riding Critique 5 09-20-2008 11:07 PM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:51 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0