Critique Please (Two Ponies)
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Riding Horses > Horse Riding Critique

Critique Please (Two Ponies)

This is a discussion on Critique Please (Two Ponies) within the Horse Riding Critique forums, part of the Riding Horses category

    Like Tree2Likes

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        02-23-2012, 01:29 PM
      #1
    Weanling
    Wink Critique Please (Two Ponies)

    Well I got two for you guys. =) Kinda weird because one of them is three feet tall. So don't be too hard on me with her. It's kinda hard to do things with her because she's so small. =) But you can critique me and Fannie if you want, just not Penny. (Fannie is the shetland and Penny is the chestnut big pony). I'm pretty sure I know what I am doing wrong for the most part. I just want to make sure.













    This is still being processed but will be done soon.

         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        02-23-2012, 08:17 PM
      #2
    Weanling
    You'd probably want to blow up the first video. It's really small for some reason..
         
        02-23-2012, 08:50 PM
      #3
    Showing
    I don't jump.. so about your flatwork..

    In the pictures, you really need to sit up, open your chest, and relax your entire upper body. You aren't really letting your legs dangle.. they seem pushed down?

    I'm going to watch the rest now..

    You look so much better!!! I noticed around the corner you had your supporting outside rein, well done! Just keep that outside rein with contact and try to keep her straight around those corners and while she's going around the rail. More inside leg.. but seriously, you've improved so much since the last vid!

    Another thing I noticed.. you kind of slam her to the next jump I'm talking flatwork only) I don't see any sort of halt halt or any guidance from your leg nor any support for her.. which is why she resisted the jump closer to the end of the video.. she didn't feel prepared. Hold her on that outside rein, guide her with that inside leg and keep your arms.. closer to 90 degrees than 180.

    I think you still need more work on your flat before you begin the jumping part. She's a saint for jumping with you though, she takes good care of you. Now you need to return the favor :)

    Watching vid 2 now..

    I see the same thing.. no support and you're also leaning into the turns which further off-balances your horse. Pause at 0:28 and you'll see what I mean. You can't lean into the turn.. always have MORE WEIGHT on the outside of your seatbone so he stays balanced.

    Also why are the reins so short? :/ Pony looked very unhappy. You were catching him a lot in his mouth which made him a little "hot"
         
        02-23-2012, 09:09 PM
      #4
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Skyseternalangel    
    In the pictures, you really need to sit up, open your chest, and relax your entire upper body. You aren't really letting your legs dangle.. they seem pushed down?

    I'm going to watch the rest now..

    You look so much better!!! I noticed around the corner you had your supporting outside rein, well done! Just keep that outside rein with contact and try to keep her straight around those corners and while she's going around the rail. More inside leg.. but seriously, you've improved so much since the last vid!

    Another thing I noticed.. you kind of slam her to the next jump I'm talking flatwork only) I don't see any sort of halt halt or any guidance from your leg nor any support for her.. which is why she resisted the jump closer to the end of the video.. she didn't feel prepared. Hold her on that outside rein, guide her with that inside leg and keep your arms.. closer to 90 degrees than 180.

    I think you still need more work on your flat before you begin the jumping part. She's a saint for jumping with you though, she takes good care of you. Now you need to return the favor :)

    Watching vid 2 now..

    I see the same thing.. no support and you're also leaning into the turns which further off-balances your horse. Pause at 0:28 and you'll see what I mean. You can't lean into the turn.. always have MORE WEIGHT on the outside of your seatbone so he stays balanced.

    Also why are the reins so short? :/ Pony looked very unhappy. You were catching him a lot in his mouth which made him a little "hot"
    She is a huge bolter, and if you keep them a little longer, she will bolt... So I try to keep them short, but there not like that all the time. And Thanks!
         
        02-23-2012, 09:16 PM
      #5
    Showing
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by HorseLoverHunter    
    She is a huge bolter, and if you keep them a little longer, she will bolt... So I try to keep them short, but there not like that all the time. And Thanks!
    It didn't let me post the last bit..

    But I was going to say lovely leg and great job looking up where you're going! And I love your attitude, just get on a pony and go! :)
         
        02-23-2012, 09:40 PM
      #6
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Skyseternalangel    
    It didn't let me post the last bit..

    But I was going to say lovely leg and great job looking up where you're going! And I love your attitude, just get on a pony and go! :)
    Hehe Thanks! =)
         
        02-24-2012, 03:18 PM
      #7
    Foal
    Unfortunately, I can't watch the videos so everything I'm getting is from the pictures.

    Your lower legs slip back and you're jumping ahead in every jumping picture. For your lower legs, keep even contact with your horse throughout your calves with your weight in your heels. For jumping ahead: wait for the jump to come to you (don't be anxious that there is a jump there. It's just a "bump" in the way that's not going anywhere), and let your horse's/pony's thrust push you out of the saddle. Your shoulders, neck, and head seem to be in a forced position. Just relax, let your pony/horse push you out of the saddle, and keep looking up to see where you're going next.

    Flat work picture: Tilt your chin up, open up your chest, and really try to sink your weight into your heels.

    Overall I think you are doing a good job, and I have seen quite a bit of improvement since I last critiqued you. :)
         
        02-24-2012, 03:31 PM
      #8
    Weanling
    I only watched the first video and something that I really noticed was that your horse really drifts to the right. Work on keeping your right aids on and try to feel ahead of time when she first starts to drift. Overall I see a lot of improvement in your riding! Good job :)
         
        02-25-2012, 08:31 PM
      #9
    Foal
    You need to put more weight in your heels. And also try to put your hips back so they are not over the pommel of the saddle. You look like you are over jumping the pony almost.
         
        02-25-2012, 09:30 PM
      #10
    Showing
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bluemoonlvr    
    You need to put more weight in your heels. And also try to put your hips back so they are not over the pommel of the saddle. You look like you are over jumping the pony almost.
    I'm only to going to slightly disagree with you. More weight down the insides of her legs.. not heels. When you start thinking about heels, you're going to start jamming them down and bracing and compromising your leg cues.

    I speak from experience as a beginner instructor and a rider.
    Jumper12 likes this.
         

    Tags
    critique, fannie, jumping, penny, shetland

    Quick Reply
    Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
    Message:
    Options

    Register Now

    In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

    Already have a Horse Forum account?
    Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

    New to the Horse Forum?
    Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

    User Name:
    Password
    Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
    Password:
    Confirm Password:
    Email Address
    Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
    Email Address:

    Log-in

    Human Verification

    In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


    Old Thread Warning
    This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Critique my ponies and my Equitation! iloverains Horse Riding Critique 2 09-01-2011 10:55 PM
    my Ponies nybarrelracer Horse Pictures 4 01-18-2011 09:53 AM
    Please Critique me and my ponies jumping! HorseRLife Horse Riding Critique 12 10-25-2010 07:13 PM
    *Ponies* Jackson Creek Farms Horse Breeds 17 10-23-2009 02:25 PM
    Look at those ponies go! Sara Horse Videos 7 10-01-2008 01:51 AM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:19 AM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0