Critique Video's please.
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Riding Horses > Horse Riding Critique

Critique Video's please.

This is a discussion on Critique Video's please. within the Horse Riding Critique forums, part of the Riding Horses category

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        08-15-2009, 01:41 PM
      #1
    Foal
    Critique Video's please.

    Video's of my jumping at my first schooling show. I know I shouldn't be making excuses but keep in mind that the horse I am riding is a schooling horse, she had been used all this week for the horse camp and was being ridden for 4 hours each day which she is not used to. Also, unfortunately she's a lot of peoples favorite horse, not just mine. She was being used by someone in every class, sometimes twice in the over fences. By the time she got through all the under saddle classes, and the cross rail divisions, she was absolutely covered in sweat and exhausted. We took her saddle off, sponged her and gave her some water to help her out before I rode her.. but she was still extremely tired and it was taking everything I had just to keep her from breaking into a trot this is also why she had rails down, I very rarely have a rail down riding her, especially over 2ft jumps. Therefore my EQ isn't exactly at its best. But I'd still like to know what you think, I know I'm squeezing with my knee, my leg is slipping back and I've lost my heels.. this is also making my lose my balance over the jumps. Anything else you can see though?




    Oh and yes I was supposed to trot into the 2nd jump, this was a medal class, unfortunately she was supposed to canter out but I couldn't get enough pace before the jump for her to be able to do that.
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        08-15-2009, 06:51 PM
      #2
    Yearling
    You did pretty well, especially considering that the horse sounds overworked! 4 hours a day is a lot, I think this horse needs less riders. Because he was going slow (obviously because of the work he had done already) you stiffened up your seat, upper back and arms in an attempt to drive your horse faster (it especially shows in the first video at :40-:45). All in all you really seemed to know what you were doing going over those jumps!
         
        08-15-2009, 07:13 PM
      #3
    Green Broke
    Your lower leg slipped back a LOT.
         
        08-15-2009, 10:28 PM
      #4
    Started
    Heels down. Even on the flat you leg slips really far back. You want a straight line from your hip to your heel. Try standing in your stirrups and putting all your weight down into your heels, than sit back down and practice keeping them there. It'll take time but it'll help your leg stabilize so much. Haven't jumped in ages so I'll let someone else go into further details, but fixing your heel would help a lot of things.

    Good luck!
         
        08-15-2009, 10:31 PM
      #5
    Foal
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sunny06    
    Your lower leg slipped back a LOT.
    I know! It's crazy, I didn't even realize it until I watched the video's myself. It's not just when going over jumps either, it's like the whole time. I honestly thinks it's at least a little because I was working so hard to keep her going. My legs don't normally look like that at all. I did fine in the under saddle class I actually placed first.. it was just over fences.
         
        08-15-2009, 10:34 PM
      #6
    Foal
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by roro    
    You did pretty well, especially considering that the horse sounds overworked! 4 hours a day is a lot, I think this horse needs less riders. Because he was going slow (obviously because of the work he had done already) you stiffened up your seat, upper back and arms in an attempt to drive your horse faster (it especially shows in the first video at :40-:45). All in all you really seemed to know what you were doing going over those jumps!
    Yea I know, 4 hours is a lot, she's not normally ridden that much it's just because of the summer camp. I really think it was a dumb idea to have a show at the end of a week of camp. It was especially unfair to those of us who weren't in the camp and extremely unfair to the poor horses. I don't think the barn owner will make that mistake again.
         
        08-15-2009, 10:35 PM
      #7
    Started
    Maybe ask you trainer to holler at your whenever you leg slips back? For a while after I got back into riding from a year off I had a chair seat. I even asked my friend to yell at me when they saw my leg come too far forward, helped a lot. Also, noticed that you don't have much of a release over jumps. Since I believe you're still pretty new to jumping a crest release would be good for now. Bring your hands about halfway up her neck. What I see now is your hands just planted at the base of the neck, and they don't seem to move over jumps at all. Don't want to catch the horse in the mouth.

    EDIT: Watched a video again. Watch your upper body after every jump. You kind of slump forward. Remember to sit tall and not fall forward onto your horse's neck.
         
        08-15-2009, 10:39 PM
      #8
    Foal
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gillian    
    Heels down. Even on the flat you leg slips really far back. You want a straight line from your hip to your heel. Try standing in your stirrups and putting all your weight down into your heels, than sit back down and practice keeping them there. It'll take time but it'll help your leg stabilize so much. Haven't jumped in ages so I'll let someone else go into further details, but fixing your heel would help a lot of things.

    Good luck!
    I totally agree my legs were horrible and no heel at all, it's really strange because I won my flat class and this didn't happen then. Now that I'm starting a lease on a pony next month I'll actually be able to practice all the things my instructor has been trying to teach me. First think on the list will be a TON of two point work, at walk, trot and canter! I'm going to start low again and work my way up really working on my position and stuff.
         
        08-15-2009, 10:40 PM
      #9
    Started
    ^ Sounds good! :]
         
        08-15-2009, 10:46 PM
      #10
    Foal
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gillian    
    Maybe ask you trainer to holler at your whenever you leg slips back? For a while after I got back into riding from a year off I had a chair seat. I even asked my friend to yell at me when they saw my leg come too far forward, helped a lot. Also, noticed that you don't have much of a release over jumps. Since I believe you're still pretty new to jumping a crest release would be good for now. Bring your hands about halfway up her neck. What I see now is your hands just planted at the base of the neck, and they don't seem to move over jumps at all. Don't want to catch the horse in the mouth.

    EDIT: Watched a video again. Watch your upper body after every jump. You kind of slump forward. Remember to sit tall and not fall forward onto your horse's neck.
    Yea I don't know why it slipped back so badly, normally its not that bad.. and my instructor wasn't there for the show she's gone on holidays so I didn't really have much help. I'll keep the release in mind for sure it must be the nerves at the show that's making me go back to some old bad habits. Yea I did slump over, I'd probably blame that on my legs/heels.. no support from the heels and legs then I have no balance! So after every jump I was on her neck.
         

    Quick Reply
    Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
    Message:
    Options

    Register Now

    In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

    Already have a Horse Forum account?
    Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

    New to the Horse Forum?
    Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

    User Name:
    Password
    Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
    Password:
    Confirm Password:
    Email Address
    Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
    Email Address:

    Log-in

    Human Verification

    In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


    Old Thread Warning
    This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Jumping video's NAYRiders12 Horse Riding Critique 1 08-06-2009 12:24 PM
    Jumping Video's- Chinga and Pumpkin ChingazMyBoy Jumping 6 07-05-2009 11:41 PM
    Video's of me jumping the past few weeks Snaffle Horse Videos 0 01-09-2009 04:40 PM
    SICAB - Video's of Luca's brother and half sisters. TralissaAndalusians Horse Videos 0 12-04-2007 06:18 PM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:14 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0