Crossrail critique - Page 4
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Riding Horses > Horse Riding Critique

Crossrail critique

This is a discussion on Crossrail critique within the Horse Riding Critique forums, part of the Riding Horses category

    Like Tree12Likes

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        08-28-2011, 10:57 AM
      #31
    Weanling
    I'm no expert (in anything really ) but I vote you try eventing. Your horse has good extension and comes under himself nicely for the dressage part, and all of the flatwork needed to improve his balance at the canter will help with the cross-country and show jumping aspects. He looks like he is having fun over the crossrails and seems to be bold enough to be comfortable (in time) with the spookier jumps in cross-country.

    As far as critique, like the others, I noticed some hand and heel problems. Do western boots flex enough to allow you to sink your heels? I don't know much about them... You guys look like a great team!
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        08-28-2011, 11:15 AM
      #32
    Started
    The last picture you posted, the close up definitely shows your hand.

    Close those fingers crazy girl!! Its really risky to have them open like that, especially when jumping. THEN work on turning your thumbs up, as that's not really a safety hazard. I used to have major issues with closing my fingers. Just remember that softness comes from the elbow not the hand. I do like your elbow to bit line though.

    I think he is working nicely in most of the pictures. I don't remember if you have a trainer or not? Either way you're doing a fabulous job with him!

    As for the heel thing, I can usually get the best feel for it when I'm posting. Just let your heel go pretty much limp and post from that; if that makes any sense. I think of it as a rubber ankle. You can also feel it in the canter pretty well, depending on the horse's motion I think. If I remember correctly, it feels like you're bouncing around a bit on your feet at first. Hard to explain! If you two point at the trot it should be apparent too. I'm rambling sorry :)
         
        08-28-2011, 11:24 AM
      #33
    Showing
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MicKey73    
    I'm no expert (in anything really ) but I vote you try eventing. Your horse has good extension and comes under himself nicely for the dressage part, and all of the flatwork needed to improve his balance at the canter will help with the cross-country and show jumping aspects. He looks like he is having fun over the crossrails and seems to be bold enough to be comfortable (in time) with the spookier jumps in cross-country.

    As far as critique, like the others, I noticed some hand and heel problems. Do western boots flex enough to allow you to sink your heels? I don't know much about them... You guys look like a great team!
    Thanks for the input! I think I will look for an eventing trainer. If we don't like it, we can always try hunters. His trot is to die for; I got several comments on it from spectators and judges alike at Fair.

    The heel problem seems to be a new development, and one I'm not too happy about. The hands, on the other hand (no pun intended) have always been bad. Soft, but bad.
         
        08-28-2011, 11:37 AM
      #34
    Showing
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eliz    
    The last picture you posted, the close up definitely shows your hand.

    Close those fingers crazy girl!! Its really risky to have them open like that, especially when jumping. THEN work on turning your thumbs up, as that's not really a safety hazard. I used to have major issues with closing my fingers. Just remember that softness comes from the elbow not the hand. I do like your elbow to bit line though.

    I think he is working nicely in most of the pictures. I don't remember if you have a trainer or not? Either way you're doing a fabulous job with him!

    As for the heel thing, I can usually get the best feel for it when I'm posting. Just let your heel go pretty much limp and post from that; if that makes any sense. I think of it as a rubber ankle. You can also feel it in the canter pretty well, depending on the horse's motion I think. If I remember correctly, it feels like you're bouncing around a bit on your feet at first. Hard to explain! If you two point at the trot it should be apparent too. I'm rambling sorry :)
    I'll work on the hands and heels; thanks for the tips! Every few days we go for a hack in the woods while I work at two point at the trot. There's quite a few logs in between stretches of trotting, which is nice.

    No trainer yet, but I had a jumping lesson in CO back in early july from a client of my uncle's that helped me out quite a bit.
         
        08-28-2011, 08:23 PM
      #35
    Green Broke
    You know,I just have to say that I wish I could wear a sports bra/workout top while riding as well.I need a lot of working out for that to happen :P

    Excel is so cute.
    On your last jumping picture I see your toe is tilted down. Make sure to keep those heels down! I have the same problem..it can be tricky.

    What stood out to me on the flat was your arms! You look really relaxed.
         
        08-28-2011, 08:38 PM
      #36
    Showing
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gidget    
    you know,I just have to say that I wish I could wear a sports bra/workout top while riding as well.I need a lot of working out for that to happen :P

    Excel is so cute.
    On your last jumping picture I see your toe is tilted down. Make sure to keep those heels down! I have the same problem..it can be tricky.

    What stood out to me on the flat was your arms! You look really relaxed.
    Lol! I hadn't been planning on anyone seeing it until my sister came out with the camera. Oh well, at least I got some good pictures of Excel.

    Heels down, got it. I went out today and worked Molly and Excel, trying to work on both my hands and my heels.

    Excel's off-track trainer recently shared with me that she free jumped him 3'6" over a 3' spread when he got off the track . So he definitely has potential
         
        08-28-2011, 11:47 PM
      #37
    Green Broke
    Wow! He might just make a cute jumper! How tall is he?
         
        08-29-2011, 06:49 AM
      #38
    Showing
    16.2hh, with pretty powerful conformation. I'll have to take some confo pics and get them up here.
         
        08-29-2011, 07:21 AM
      #39
    Banned
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tinyliny    
    Not really an issue. Equiniphile meant no harm. .
    I do not think anyone was even suggesting she meant harm. I think someone was trying to give her some food for thought. Nothing more.


    I do not think your stirrups are too short really (if you are thinking of showing in the hunter ring). The problem is you have shoved your leg out in front of you instead of having it underneath you.
    There really is no way to get your weight down into your heel when your heel/foot is shoved way out in front of you. Bring your leg back so you have your heel under your hip.

    In some of the photos your are pinching with the back of your leg. (Something I default to way too often, sigh.) Try to keep the contact more with the inside or your leg.

    Maybe it is the boots but it looks like you have your stirrup shoved too far back on your foot. The stirrup should fall at the ball of your foot. This might be adding to your leg/heel problem.


    It is much more unlikely you will have piano hands if you close your fingers.
         
        08-29-2011, 10:41 AM
      #40
    Showing
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Golden Horse    
    I think wearing a sports bra while riding is a very smart idea, baing old and fat and challenged by gravity I wear one, that looks more like an industrial hammock when I show, for fear of distracting the judge!!

    For the op, she is young, wearing helmet, boots, breeches, I have no issue with her choice of top. When it's hot most of us wear the flimsiest of shirts anyway, I don't see them offering much protection in a fall in all honesty.

    Her choice of clothing, seeing as you can clearly see her body position, should make the task of critique a lot easier, the same pic in a couple of months time with the huge baggy sweat shirt on would actually hide the subtleties of the riders position.

    Valid points have been made about perverts, but you never know how many people who fantasize about woman in skin tight breeches are looking at the pics here. Yes there are a lot of sick people in the world, but sometimes we give them to much power over us I think,
    I couldn't agree more. This lovely young rider is wearing great footwear and a helmet, and the rider isn't doing anything unsafe. What she is wearing has nothing to do with the purpose of this thread, so how about this suggestion.

    If what someone is wearing is bothering, how about you click in the corner of the web browser window and CLOSE that thread and move on.

    To get back on topic, you have an absolute great eye. You really need to collect more instead of running at the fence. Sit back and put weight into your heel and lower leg. Make sure you get your leg at the girl, stay supple in her mouth and keep your eye up. I thought you were a bit ahead of yourself when approaching the fence, tho I did appreciate the distance you set up with the pole post fence. It's a great way to help focus on your position while your horse gets the right stride every time.

    I suggest you go back to trotting up to your fences and going back to fences. Also something that was hard to judge, but are you on even ground in your picture? I know your arena is on a slope, so it did make me wonder if you are on a slop when approaching your fences?

    You guys look absolutely lovely otherwise. I really envy the area you live in. The houses are absolutely beautiful out there.
         

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Western Riding critique and confo critique on Romeo Pidge Horse Riding Critique 19 10-09-2012 02:21 AM
    Crossrail Hunter Classes SaratogaTB English Riding 7 09-07-2010 10:46 AM
    Determining crossrail height SpottedHunterRebel Jumping 2 08-03-2008 05:02 PM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:29 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0