English Riding - My 7th lesson - Page 2
   

       The Horse Forum > Riding Horses > Horse Riding Critique

English Riding - My 7th lesson

This is a discussion on English Riding - My 7th lesson within the Horse Riding Critique forums, part of the Riding Horses category
  • What do you learn in your 7th horse riding lesson

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    12-21-2010, 11:29 PM
  #11
Banned
After 7 lessons I would say you look like you are coming along nicely! Congrats for doing so well so far.
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    12-22-2010, 12:02 AM
  #12
Green Broke
When I say dramatic I mean but some people post like they are standing in their stirrups..lifting with their legs...if you get what I'm saying. You are posting very well.
I use to post very dramatic at first but now I'm gettin better. Just make sure you keep her going.
     
    12-22-2010, 07:23 PM
  #13
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyliny    
Mskibisi,

That is a cute horse and though she wasn't offering you a lot of foward to post off of, she does move nicely through her back and has really nice rythmic trots. I think you guys will be a really good match! I like that little mare. I bet she has a lot more in her, too.

Your position is surprisingly good for so few lessons,too. Your lower leg is quiet but is carrying its' fair share of your weight. You sit nicely upright and your hand position isn't bad. I did notice, not surprisingly for a beginner, that you are not able to keep your hands still relative to the horse. So when she changes speed suddenly or bobs her head, and you lose your balance, the horse gets bopped in the mouth. That has to do with you having your elbow 'locked" . It's nice that there is some bend in it (as opposed to many new riders who have their elbows as straight and stiff as rolling pins), but your elbow needs to kind of open and close as you go up and down in your posting so that your hands stay the same height off the horse .

One thing you can do is tie a piece of string to one or both of the D rings which is about a foot long. When you gather up your reins, also hold the little string so that once your hands are positioned, the slack is out of the string . Now, as you post, you don't want the string to go slack and snap tight, but rather to maintain a constant tightness. (keeps your hands in same place.) You can easily let go of the string if you need to.

I think you have a really good start and I wish you continued success.
Lena is a great girl and she does have a lot to learn (she's only 5), so she definitely has a lot of potential. Thanks for the feedback and the tip about the string.
     
    12-22-2010, 07:25 PM
  #14
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten_Val    
I think you do great in such a short time!

I may be wrong (as you and a horse are rather small in that video ), but it looks to me you post little too high (too much out of saddle), and you are posting "by legs" (up/down, relaying on stirrups) rather than moving your hips.

Have you tried riding without stirrups yet? That really helps with the balance.

And good luck on keeping such a good progress!

I have tried riding without stirrups and I do find it helpful. I'm developing the muscles to post, so posting without stirrups is HARD lol But you're right about me going up too much. I do go up too high sometimes.
     
    12-22-2010, 07:26 PM
  #15
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar756    
When I learned to post, my instructor spent a good amount of time at the sitting trot. This is used to put the rider more in tune with the rhythym of the horse and feel the timing in between strides. Also, imagining an egg between you and the saddle sometimes helps. You don't want to sit hard on the egg and break it, so staying closer to the saddle but off of it can sometimes help regulate your post. Posting high can make you hit the saddle hard- or puts more time in a post stride- which will set you off time with the horse.

Great visualization! Thanks. I'm a visual learner so seeing or hearing analogies like this is very helpful.
     
    12-22-2010, 07:28 PM
  #16
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexS    
After 7 lessons I would say you look like you are coming along nicely! Congrats for doing so well so far.

Thanks! I only ride once a week but I watch videos almost daily and always read the critique others get on the forum based on their videos.
     
    12-22-2010, 07:30 PM
  #17
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gidget    
when I say dramatic I mean but some people post like they are standing in their stirrups..lifting with their legs...if you get what I'm saying. You are posting very well.
I use to post very dramatic at first but now I'm gettin better. Just make sure you keep her going.

In that case, I was VERY dramatic when I first started lol. Initially, I thought it was more of a straight standing up motion while holding on with my knees. But after watching videos and practicing, I now get that its more of a back and forth. Thanks again :)
     
    12-23-2010, 02:06 PM
  #18
Banned
Leg on leg on leg on. Is what I am told by my instructor if she's lazy you need to carry a crop with you and tap her and use your leg preasure to get her moving. I ride lazy horses to and well its hard at first but it will eventually get to where they know they can't be lazy. Its all about body,legs,and hands. Kitten_Val Is right your post is a bit high and you use your legs to post. It also looks like your leg is swinging quit a bit. I can't reall tell though. Its only your 7th lesson you will get better and better at each lesson. And being on the wrong diagonal means you need to ride the wall and look at the outside shoulder eventually you will get so used to it that you will be able to get on the correct one right away.

Anyway good job and keep working at it you will eventually get to the point where you will have the correct idea of riding english :) everyone goes through it.
     
    12-23-2010, 02:11 PM
  #19
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by EventersBabe    
Leg on leg on leg on. Is what I am told by my instructor if she's lazy you need to carry a crop with you and tap her and use your leg preasure to get her moving. I ride lazy horses to and well its hard at first but it will eventually get to where they know they can't be lazy. Its all about body,legs,and hands. Kitten_Val Is right your post is a bit high and you use your legs to post. It also looks like your leg is swinging quit a bit. I can't reall tell though. Its only your 7th lesson you will get better and better at each lesson. And being on the wrong diagonal means you need to ride the wall and look at the outside shoulder eventually you will get so used to it that you will be able to get on the correct one right away.

Anyway good job and keep working at it you will eventually get to the point where you will have the correct idea of riding english :) everyone goes through it.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm about to get ready for my lesson today so I will implement everyone's tips. :) I appreciate all the help.
     
    12-23-2010, 02:15 PM
  #20
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsKibibi    
Thanks for the feedback. I'm about to get ready for my lesson today so I will implement everyone's tips. :) I appreciate all the help.
Your welcome. If you can get some pics it would also help maybe? To help us tell you your leg posistion where your hands are etc.

Oh I highly suggest reading books as well. There are many books to help you with stuff as well :)
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
First English lesson! equiniphile English Riding 8 06-29-2010 09:18 AM
Finding a good english lesson barn? Rowzy English Riding 5 03-27-2010 01:44 PM
My English Lesson sandy2u1 Horse Talk 2 08-15-2009 12:28 AM
took my first English lesson tjolly English Riding 16 06-07-2009 09:11 PM
my english lesson progress Aliboo English Riding 4 06-21-2008 09:47 AM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0