Is This Fair? - Page 3
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Riding Horses > Horse Riding Critique

Is This Fair?

This is a discussion on Is This Fair? within the Horse Riding Critique forums, part of the Riding Horses category

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        04-20-2010, 08:08 AM
      #21
    Showing
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Spyder    
    That would be up to her coach to do.

    I have judge a few event dressage classes and from what I saw there really wasn't anything spectacular about the test. Transitions were rough in some places. Horse was crooked in others. The horse didn't look relaxed and for a big horse the striding was too much ponyish.

    This was a "safe" ridden test and lacked the animation that would have upgraded it to a higher score.
    So if horse is short and can't do the big strides, Will THAT lower down the score?
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        04-20-2010, 08:31 AM
      #22
    Banned
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EventingIsLovee    
    The comments on the actual test basically only said "more forward," or "more energy." So clearly, those comments didn't help me much.
    Oh, but they do. That is exactly what people here are telling you. You need more impulsion from behind.

    Congrats on doing better than you had in the past. That alone probably has you very proud of yourself and your horse.
         
        04-20-2010, 08:39 AM
      #23
    Trained
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kitten_Val    
    So if horse is short and can't do the big strides, Will THAT lower down the score?
    Yep you'll drop marks in the collectives for movement. However if the horse is tracking up, off the forehand and into the bridle you can still beat a speccy moving horse that is tight and tense :) The lower levels, particularly preliminary (think that's training/intro there??) is mainly intended to have the horse straight, forwards and soft in the bridle with a swinging back and carrying itself off the forehand. Where you get stuck with the horses that lack the bugger steps, are the medium to higher levels where movement is a big factor into how the test is judged, and the bigger, looser steps also help in the more advanced movements where a short choppy gait will struggle.
         
        04-20-2010, 09:01 AM
      #24
    Showing
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kayty    
    Yep you'll drop marks in the collectives for movement. However if the horse is tracking up, off the forehand and into the bridle you can still beat a speccy moving horse that is tight and tense :) The lower levels, particularly preliminary (think that's training/intro there??) is mainly intended to have the horse straight, forwards and soft in the bridle with a swinging back and carrying itself off the forehand. Where you get stuck with the horses that lack the bugger steps, are the medium to higher levels where movement is a big factor into how the test is judged, and the bigger, looser steps also help in the more advanced movements where a short choppy gait will struggle.
    Thanks for explaining, Kayty! The reason I raised the question I do remember the article in (I believe) AQHA journal about 14'2 or 14'3 qh, which actually went to the higher levels of dressage competitions. Definitely something out of ordinary. I'd think that particular horse should have small strides with the height like this but still managed to get pretty high.
         
        04-20-2010, 11:13 AM
      #25
    Banned
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kayty    
    Where you get stuck with the horses that lack the bugger steps, are the medium to higher levels where movement is a big factor into how the test is judged, and the bigger, looser steps also help in the more advanced movements where a short choppy gait will struggle.
    Actually I disagree (but not on the short CHOPPY gait).

    At the lower levels where there is little to judge on, the bigger moving horses have a clear advantage.

    At the higher levels it is the suspension and lightness of the movement that is paramount. In fact striding that is too big is a disadvantage. This is particularly obvious within the piaffe/passage transitions and the canter pirouette.

    Take for example the two horses Dynasty and Reipo.

    Reipo had extraordinary long sweeping movement.

    Dynasty had the more compact movement.

    Dynasty beat Reipo every time except once and in the 86 Olympics was the leading horse in the team bronze. Reipo had so many problems in the canter pirouette and the piaffe/passage transitions were difficult for him. The piaffe/passage transitions are also a co efficient of 2 so the loss of points become problematic. Dynasty had them done pat and could collect so well.

    In the 86 worlds Dynasty's opening movement from an extended trot to a piaffe with a 360 turn and completed the extended trot was amazing and showed off that horse's best way of going.

    BTW....my horse is from the Dynasty lines also and also has that compact body and extremely easy to collect.
         
        04-20-2010, 05:03 PM
      #26
    Trained
    It's all been covered.
    I agree with Spyder, the judge was generous. For every movement your horse's head is wagging around like a happy dog's tail, you lose at least one point.
    And then in the collectives you're going to lose a point at least on gaits, lose a point on impulsion, lose a point on submission and lose at least a point on your rider score. If the judge is feeling nice.
         
        04-20-2010, 05:08 PM
      #27
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Spyder    
    The horse didn't look relaxed and for a big horse the striding was too much ponyish.
    He is only 15hh, so he's actually a small horse. He does indeed have a naturally short step, and hopefully, that will get a bit better throughout this show season for him. It is one of the big things we are working on in lessons and during the week, along with trying to get him to rock back on his hind end.
         

    Quick Reply
    Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
    Message:
    Options

    Register Now

    In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

    Already have a Horse Forum account?
    Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

    New to the Horse Forum?
    Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

    User Name:
    Password
    Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
    Password:
    Confirm Password:
    Email Address
    Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
    Email Address:

    Log-in

    Human Verification

    In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


    Old Thread Warning
    This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    To The Fair! Small_Town_Girl General Off Topic Discussion 20 09-12-2008 12:09 PM
    is this fair? luvmystandardbred27 Horses for Sale 5 11-29-2007 03:53 PM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:07 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0