Fun Show Critique - Page 2
   

       The Horse Forum > Riding Horses > Horse Riding Critique

Fun Show Critique

This is a discussion on Fun Show Critique within the Horse Riding Critique forums, part of the Riding Horses category

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        05-21-2010, 07:59 AM
      #11
    Banned
    Yeah, anabel! Great explanation.

    I'd like to add that riding with shorter reins is not restrictive IF your hand and arm softly follows and you release over fences. Looks like you're in a transition phase in your riding; that you used to ride with long or loose reins and just plant your hands at the withers to release, and that your instructor is trying to transition you to the next level.

    As Anabel mentioned, getting your elbow working properly is key. I'd also have your instructor put a rubber band, yarn, tape or some kind of marker where she wants your hands to be normally, and where she wants them to do for your release over fences.
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        05-21-2010, 01:55 PM
      #12
    Trained
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maura    
    Looks like you're in a transition phase in your riding; that you used to ride with long or loose reins and just plant your hands at the withers to release, and that your instructor is trying to transition you to the next level.
    That sounds about right. The last piture where I am a hunchback in a grey sweater was my old rein length. This new rein length is still very weird to me and she tells me to have "sympathetic arms and elbows " which I am still trying to figure out how to do.

    The idea about putting a marker in the mane is a great idea, I will bring it up to her. When I am going over the fences I FEEL like I am releasing but my hands are in my lap in these pictures so I think that would be really helpful. Thanks so much!
         
        05-21-2010, 07:14 PM
      #13
    Weanling
    Not really a jumping persooonnn... but if you are going to go to a big show...
    Just a few things with your clothes
    Your breeches seem a bit baggy, and in eq, you definitely don't want baggy breeches

    Also for a show you must wear a jacket/coat.
         
        05-22-2010, 01:56 AM
      #14
    Trained
    Thanks :) I do have a coat and need to save up to get some good breeches. Thankfully this was just a little barn fun show, so I wasn't judged on it.
         
        05-22-2010, 11:51 PM
      #15
    Yearling
    I have been working hard on the same flightless bird elbow problem you are having, as it gets better you will find that your release is much improved. You did mention that you are jumping way up his neck- in the 7th picture you look like where you should be, so at the jump let him close your hip angle, do not do anything with your upper body from that postion.

    Also, in the second pic down you are looking ahead to your next jump but I would like to see your right shoulder open a little more, helping get you ready to look through the turn.

    I am very novice to jumping but I have lessons 2 times per week so a lot of these things are stuff I am working on too and notice you doing. Over all though, nice work. If I recall correctly I think you're fairly new to jumping as well aren't you? I like your nice low heels (could point your toes a bit more forward though) and the fact that you're looking up and forward through all your jumps!
         
        05-23-2010, 08:22 PM
      #16
    Trained
    Thanks.

    Yes, this is my first year of jumping or really doing any serious English riding. I absolutely love it.
         
        05-24-2010, 02:25 AM
      #17
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maura    
    Yeah, anabel! Great explanation.

    I'd like to add that riding with shorter reins is not restrictive IF your hand and arm softly follows and you release over fences. Looks like you're in a transition phase in your riding; that you used to ride with long or loose reins and just plant your hands at the withers to release, and that your instructor is trying to transition you to the next level.

    As Anabel mentioned, getting your elbow working properly is key. I'd also have your instructor put a rubber band, yarn, tape or some kind of marker where she wants your hands to be normally, and where she wants them to do for your release over fences.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tealamutt    
    I have been working hard on the same flightless bird elbow problem you are having, as it gets better you will find that your release is much improved. You did mention that you are jumping way up his neck- in the 7th picture you look like where you should be, so at the jump let him close your hip angle, do not do anything with your upper body from that postion.

    Also, in the second pic down you are looking ahead to your next jump but I would like to see your right shoulder open a little more, helping get you ready to look through the turn.

    I am very novice to jumping but I have lessons 2 times per week so a lot of these things are stuff I am working on too and notice you doing. Over all though, nice work. If I recall correctly I think you're fairly new to jumping as well aren't you? I like your nice low heels (could point your toes a bit more forward though) and the fact that you're looking up and forward through all your jumps!
    I agree with both of the above, especially about that hip angle. In addition to that you're jumping ahead of him in some of those pictures. Remember, he knows when he should jump! After all, he's 20 and seems like he's definitely been around the block a time or two. Just be patient, keep a light seat, and you'll easily go with him over the jumps. :)
         

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    First show...please critique ForrestGump Horse Riding Critique 3 06-28-2010 08:10 PM
    Critique my last show :) guesy Horse Riding Critique 16 03-15-2009 02:13 AM
    Critique us from the show SonnyWimps Horse Riding Critique 14 09-12-2008 03:11 PM
    show critique! breezeypoo<3 Horse Riding Critique 8 07-28-2008 10:39 PM
    Critique show brittx6x6 Horse Riding Critique 8 08-15-2007 07:46 PM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:23 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0