BE GENTLE! Large lady on Large horse - Page 3
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Riding Horses > Horse Riding Critique

BE GENTLE! Large lady on Large horse

This is a discussion on BE GENTLE! Large lady on Large horse within the Horse Riding Critique forums, part of the Riding Horses category

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        07-31-2008, 11:44 AM
      #21
    Showing
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Moxie
    When I'm at just a sitting trot, my right leg tends to come up, and then slips out of the stirrup.
    Moxie, that is a common problem and one that I used to have early on. I learned to sit a little deeper, keep a little weight in the stirrup, grip a little harder with my calf, and put my leg a little forward. I also use boots with a rubber sole not leather.

    Leather is the boot of choice for most riders since, in theory anyway, your foot will slip out of the stirrup easier if you need it to. Well .... I've been tossed a good number of times and my foot has always come out. I've seen a rider or two get hung up with leather sole boots so personally I don't see the difference and I like the extra grip I get with rubber. My Ariat tie ups, my Lucchese 2000's, and my Ariat ropers all have rubber soles.
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        07-31-2008, 12:40 PM
      #22
    Green Broke
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Arrow
    You can't correct dishing--it's a conformation fault, his front leg swings way out like an airplane propellor.

    As for correcting that leads to head tossing...you are correcting him right if he tosses his head, that shouldn't be the result.

    What are you correcting him for, maybe we can give you some advice on a better way.
    Fritz tends to want to stop and socialize during our lessons, he likes to kind of go off where he pleases, and I think on that day, we were having a problem with the hay on the ground, he kept wanting to bend down and eat.

    Also, like I said earlier, he has a problem with flies, and an even bigger problem with fly spray. So is it possible the head tossing was a result of flies?
         
        07-31-2008, 01:07 PM
      #23
    Foal
    I just wanted to say that fritz is so adorable You guys look really good together, and I'm sure once you get a few more lessons, you will be working much better together. ;)
         
        07-31-2008, 01:17 PM
      #24
    Trained
    Moxie! I'm SO Proud of you! The Two of you look great together and I know it wasn't easy for you to saddle up and courage was an issue!!!! I see you doing a great job overall! Others have mentioned the little detals and Iridehorses said everything I would have said about saddle and stir-ups etc. Keep up the good work!
         
        07-31-2008, 05:52 PM
      #25
    Green Broke
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dumas'_Grrrl
    Moxie! I'm SO Proud of you! The Two of you look great together and I know it wasn't easy for you to saddle up and courage was an issue!!!! I see you doing a great job overall! Others have mentioned the little detals and Iridehorses said everything I would have said about saddle and stir-ups etc. Keep up the good work!
    ((Huggles)) Thank you so very much!
         
        07-31-2008, 08:24 PM
      #26
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Moxie
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by palogal
    Head tossing can mean a lot of things. In a lesson horse it's usually "I have too many people in my mouth" and beginners tend to be hard on the mouth anyway.

    In non-lesson horses it can be a teeth, back, or lameness issue. Or that the horse just doesn't like the bit.

    I could see this problem totally! Some times I feel like I'm to harsh on his mouth, but he's one of those horses who like to test and see what he can get away with. So half the lesson we're doing work, the other half, I'm trying to correct him, and make him go where I wanna go.

    The instructor I had on Monday actually said that if she were running the show, She'd put a different bit in his mouth that would make him respond better. I didn't know what that meant tho.
    She most likely means a bit that's stronger or provides more leverage. Although that will only make him resistant to that bit and move to another. You need to sensitize him to your cues, and make him respond to lighter cues rather than giving him harder ones.
         
        07-31-2008, 08:49 PM
      #27
    Green Broke
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by palogal
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Moxie
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by palogal
    Head tossing can mean a lot of things. In a lesson horse it's usually "I have too many people in my mouth" and beginners tend to be hard on the mouth anyway.

    In non-lesson horses it can be a teeth, back, or lameness issue. Or that the horse just doesn't like the bit.

    I could see this problem totally! Some times I feel like I'm to harsh on his mouth, but he's one of those horses who like to test and see what he can get away with. So half the lesson we're doing work, the other half, I'm trying to correct him, and make him go where I wanna go.

    The instructor I had on Monday actually said that if she were running the show, She'd put a different bit in his mouth that would make him respond better. I didn't know what that meant tho.
    She most likely means a bit that's stronger or provides more leverage. Although that will only make him resistant to that bit and move to another. You need to sensitize him to your cues, and make him respond to lighter cues rather than giving him harder ones.



    That is fantastic advice! On Monday I will work on that. Thank you so much!
         
        07-31-2008, 09:12 PM
      #28
    Showing
    Moxie, I am in love with your instructor - she sounds like a lovely woman, very encouraging! I wish I had someone like that!!

    You and Fritz look absolutely darling together, keep up the wonderful work!
         
        07-31-2008, 10:41 PM
      #29
    Weanling
    Like you, I have not been seriously riding for a long time (eight months to be exact)! Trust me when I say, that it takes a while for your legs to stretch and get in the right position...until that time it feels impossible to get your legs wrapped around the barrel of the horse, or to have you heels down comfortably! I have just managed to feel comfortable with my leg position and ability to wrap my legs around my horse the past couple of months. Just understand that it takes time! What really helped me was standing on steps near the balls of my feet and letting my heels drop so that I stretch the muscles in the back of my leg as often as I could.

    For the short time that you have been taking lessons, I think you are doing a fabulous job! And like someone said, sounds like you got lucky with a kind instructor like I did!
         
        08-01-2008, 10:16 AM
      #30
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Moxie
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Arrow
    You can't correct dishing--it's a conformation fault, his front leg swings way out like an airplane propellor.

    As for correcting that leads to head tossing...you are correcting him right if he tosses his head, that shouldn't be the result.

    What are you correcting him for, maybe we can give you some advice on a better way.
    Fritz tends to want to stop and socialize during our lessons, he likes to kind of go off where he pleases, and I think on that day, we were having a problem with the hay on the ground, he kept wanting to bend down and eat.

    Also, like I said earlier, he has a problem with flies, and an even bigger problem with fly spray. So is it possible the head tossing was a result of flies?
    He has to get over that. When he's working, he's working. Ask your instructor for some things to correct that...if the correction is unpleasant, they tend to stop the behavior. It also sounds like this horse (much like the lesson horses I use) needs to be ridden by some advanced folks once or twice. I ride my lesson boys about once a week to "work out the kinks" and maintain the training.
         

    Quick Reply
    Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
    Message:
    Options

    Register Now

    In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

    Already have a Horse Forum account?
    Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

    New to the Horse Forum?
    Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

    User Name:
    Password
    Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
    Password:
    Confirm Password:
    Email Address
    Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
    Email Address:

    Log-in

    Human Verification

    In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


    Old Thread Warning
    This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

    Thread Tools



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:54 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0