Its Been a While [English Flatwork Video] - Page 4
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Riding Horses > Horse Riding Critique

Its Been a While [English Flatwork Video]

This is a discussion on Its Been a While [English Flatwork Video] within the Horse Riding Critique forums, part of the Riding Horses category
  • Are you supposed to grip with your calves when riding

Like Tree5Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    12-07-2011, 04:16 PM
  #31
Trained
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsesdontlie    
I have very short calf muscles/tendons. Years of walking on my toes...I'm getting more flexible but just not quite there yet. So in order to keep them from riding up I feel like they have to be shoved down. If I just relaxed my foot is parallel to the ground and I can not keep any sort of balance.
I think, perhaps, you should consider taking an adult ballet or tap or hip hop class. The warm ups are classical dance which will stretch your ankles and strengthen them. You will learn to stretch and relax your body and you will stretch your calf muscles. ONLY SERIOUS DANCERS need to avoid schooling horses bc they lose some of their ability to hyperflex their legs but your teacher will not expect this from a beginner. You will be very surpised at how sore and then how fit you'll feel after a class. I know that it will help your riding and I think it will help refresh your riding focus. =D
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    12-07-2011, 04:50 PM
  #32
Foal
Thats quite good, but remember in english you grip with your knees, not your calfs. If you grip with your calfs your horse may become dead to the leg. You have a better position and securer seat gripping with your thighs and knees.
     
    12-07-2011, 05:11 PM
  #33
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corporal    
I think, perhaps, you should consider taking an adult ballet or tap or hip hop class. The warm ups are classical dance which will stretch your ankles and strengthen them. You will learn to stretch and relax your body and you will stretch your calf muscles. ONLY SERIOUS DANCERS need to avoid schooling horses bc they lose some of their ability to hyperflex their legs but your teacher will not expect this from a beginner. You will be very surpised at how sore and then how fit you'll feel after a class. I know that it will help your riding and I think it will help refresh your riding focus. =D
Me...dance? That would be like asking Jake to tie a bow....

Lol, its a great suggestion but I don't have the time or money to do anything like that. >.> So I'm stuck doing my at home stretching.
     
    12-07-2011, 05:15 PM
  #34
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by rachelgem    
thats quite good, but remember in english you grip with your knees, not your calfs. If you grip with your calfs your horse may become dead to the leg. You have a better position and securer seat gripping with your thighs and knees.
Thank you for the compliment. But you're not supposed to grip with you knee. It promotes a swinging/unstable lower leg. You're supposed to hold with your calf, I have a death grip, which I need to relax a little. A good horse will know the difference between calf and heel. So not dead to the leg. All decent trainers I have been under have me grip with my calf.
     
    12-07-2011, 05:19 PM
  #35
Super Moderator
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsesdontlie    
Thank you for the compliment. But you're not supposed to grip with you knee. It promotes a swinging/unstable lower leg. You're supposed to hold with your calf, I have a death grip, which I need to relax a little. A good horse will know the difference between calf and heel. So not dead to the leg. All decent trainers I have been under have me grip with my calf.
Actually you don't hold with your calf, you should gie a snug hug with your thighs
     
    12-07-2011, 05:38 PM
  #36
Foal
Yeah, over in the uk, we are taught to hold with out thighs, and we have to learn to keep our lower legs still, not touching the horse. It gives a secure seat, so if the horse was taken from under you, you would be standing up
     
    12-07-2011, 05:57 PM
  #37
Yearling
Hmmm interesting. For me, I can not keep my stirrups or balance that well without using my calf. I'll have to look into it.
     

Quick Reply
Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Short video - 2nd time English QHriderKE Horse Riding Critique 3 12-06-2011 05:31 PM
A very neat video showing Western vs. English beau159 Horse Training 33 11-16-2010 12:41 AM
Video Contest! English Equitation on the Flat. ~ dressagexlee Horse Contests 21 04-04-2010 01:02 AM
English Equitation Video Critique - Beginner cowgirlfitzy Horse Riding Critique 6 03-24-2009 08:07 PM
English vs. Western Video ahearn Horse Videos 12 12-10-2008 07:21 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0