Jumping Critique - Page 2
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Riding Horses > Horse Riding Critique

Jumping Critique

This is a discussion on Jumping Critique within the Horse Riding Critique forums, part of the Riding Horses category

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        03-06-2011, 10:18 PM
      #11
    Yearling
    I would also like to add, that imo, you need a bigger release. Not HUGE but bigger. It almost looks like to me in your pictures, that you are almost sitting? I don't know how to explain it (sorry!). You have a very nice "root system" (I like to call it, meaning you have strong legs) so you should be able to release a little more.
    http://www.chestnuthillca.com/images...adato-5-lg.jpg

    ^^ That's my personal opinion of what is the perfect release, perfect jumping position, and perfect lines. I try to base my equitation off of a position like that!
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        03-06-2011, 10:18 PM
      #12
    Yearling
    InLoveWithQuarAppys- thanks! His canter is so smooth, it's absolute heaven to ride :).
    JustJump- I'll definitely work on my elbows! After watching the video again, I agree with you- they are VERY distracting haha :).
    Is there anything that I should be working on to improve Thumper's way of going or anything? I'm currently riding him 3 or 4 days a week (I'm just leasing him), and we're working a lot on building up his topline and using his back. Are there any other issues that you guys see to work on with him?
         
        03-06-2011, 10:21 PM
      #13
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by justjump    
    I would also like to add, that imo, you need a bigger release. Not HUGE but bigger. It almost looks like to me in your pictures, that you are almost sitting? I don't know how to explain it (sorry!). You have a very nice "root system" (I like to call it, meaning you have strong legs) so you should be able to release a little more.
    http://www.chestnuthillca.com/images...adato-5-lg.jpg

    ^^ That's my personal opinion of what is the perfect release, perfect jumping position, and perfect lines. I try to base my equitation off of a position like that!
    oops- just missed your post. I'll work on my release, as well. Any exercises to improve this, or should I just pay close attention to that over fences?
         
        03-06-2011, 10:25 PM
      #14
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anrz    
    oops- just missed your post. I'll work on my release, as well. Any exercises to improve this, or should I just pay close attention to that over fences?
    do a lot of trotting in jumping position, and cantering jumping position. What I did to get a good release and position, was, even though now I hate it, mark a place on the mane, and put your hands there, and allow your body to almost go to your hands. You should be able to look down with your eyes and see your hands. Don't force your body into 2-point, almost allow your body to be one with the horse's movement. You already have a good leg, so that's not the problem.
    I'll find a video of what I'm talking about, and ill post it!
         
        03-06-2011, 10:29 PM
      #15
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anrz    
    InLoveWithQuarAppys- thanks! His canter is so smooth, it's absolute heaven to ride :).
    JustJump- I'll definitely work on my elbows! After watching the video again, I agree with you- they are VERY distracting haha :).
    Is there anything that I should be working on to improve Thumper's way of going or anything? I'm currently riding him 3 or 4 days a week (I'm just leasing him), and we're working a lot on building up his topline and using his back. Are there any other issues that you guys see to work on with him?
    Thumper is a miniature version of my horse. He moves very similar to him!


    He seems pretty good to me, but what I do with my horse, is keep him in the bridle by making little see saws with my hands. Not ripping or jerking angerly, but more of an encouraging bump to keep him in the bridle. It makes his job a lot easier, and mine too! I would recommend doing this, and squeezing your legs. It will allow him to move through the bridle and move totally out. He seems to have a pretty big stride, how tall is he?
         
        03-06-2011, 10:33 PM
      #16
    Yearling

    This is what I'm talking about. She allows the horse to come to her, but has a perfect release. She had a lovely go(:
         
        03-06-2011, 10:36 PM
      #17
    Trained
    Hey you guys are both looking good and improving ! What I saw in the video is that you are sitting a bit too much on your seat bones. Even though your leg looks good on the flat you still need to sink more weight down your leg into your heel. Focus on rotating your pelvis forward so that you have a little more weight on your pubis compared to your seat bones.
         
        03-06-2011, 10:37 PM
      #18
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by justjump    
    Thumper is a miniature version of my horse. He moves very similar to him!

    YouTube - Equitation Over fences 2.5.11

    He seems pretty good to me, but what I do with my horse, is keep him in the bridle by making little see saws with my hands. Not ripping or jerking angerly, but more of an encouraging bump to keep him in the bridle. It makes his job a lot easier, and mine too! I would recommend doing this, and squeezing your legs. It will allow him to move through the bridle and move totally out. He seems to have a pretty big stride, how tall is he?
    He IS!! That's so funny!! He's just a little guy, 15.3hh and pretty lightly built so he looks even smaller. Haha I take another lesson every week to ride some other horses and ponies, and after riding a 17.3 Rheinlander and getting on Thumps, he feels so small :). Your horse is gorgeous, by the way!
         
        03-06-2011, 10:39 PM
      #19
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anrz    
    He IS!! That's so funny!! He's just a little guy, 15.3hh and pretty lightly built so he looks even smaller. Haha I take another lesson every week to ride some other horses and ponies, and after riding a 17.3 Rheinlander and getting on Thumps, he feels so small :). Your horse is gorgeous, by the way!
    Thank you! It's funny, he's 17.3! Thumper is just like him just miniaturized
         
        03-06-2011, 10:43 PM
      #20
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gypsygirl    
    hey you guys are both looking good and improving ! What I saw in the video is that you are sitting a bit too much on your seat bones. Even though your leg looks good on the flat you still need to sink more weight down your leg into your heel. Focus on rotating your pelvis forward so that you have a little more weight on your pubis compared to your seat bones.
    Thank you! I feel like I'm not able to get Thumper to rock back as much when my pelvis is more forward, especially for lead changes, but I suppose that's just because I'm not used to it? I'll work on this for next time.
         

    Quick Reply
    Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
    Message:
    Options

    Register Now

    In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

    Already have a Horse Forum account?
    Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

    New to the Horse Forum?
    Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

    User Name:
    Password
    Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
    Password:
    Confirm Password:
    Email Address
    Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
    Email Address:

    Log-in

    Human Verification

    In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


    Old Thread Warning
    This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Please do a jumping critique of Eddie jumping 3'9". fortheloveofhorse Horse Riding Critique 18 09-18-2009 02:56 AM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:26 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0