Jumping critique please!
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Riding Horses > Horse Riding Critique

Jumping critique please!

This is a discussion on Jumping critique please! within the Horse Riding Critique forums, part of the Riding Horses category

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        03-16-2012, 10:09 PM
      #1
    Weanling
    Jumping critique please!

    Throughout my riding career, I seem to vacillate between being too far forward on the approach and being too far back.

    I've spent a good amount of time training myself to keep my hip angle from opening on the approach to a fence, and I actually started overcorrecting (again).

    We've noticed that over fences, I've begun either rounding my shoulders or throwing my upper body (sometimes both). To fix it, I've spent a few lessons working solely over single fences, working on keeping my body still and my shoulders open. It's a work in process.

    Also, it went from being 20 to being 70 in the span of about a week, and the horses have all been full of it. Scooter, who's usually a very responsive horse, was ignoring me and trying to pick his own distance. Most of the awkward distances are my fault, but he certainly wasn't helping (I swear - I've been going GREAT on nailing them...and then my mom came out to record).

    But anyways.
    Don't critique Scooter, he's not mine. He's a 17 yr old school horse who's blind in one eye, but he covers for me pretty well. I've also only just (past month or so) been able to overcome some huge confidence issues on him that stemmed from a nasty fall I had...so...we're getting there.

    Tear me apart, please?
    (you can hear me, my trainer, and some people in the barn talking. Ignore us?)

    OH. And I'm curious - here I am on the same horse about a year ago. Improvement? I know I've changed saddles and tripled my riding time since this was taken. I certainly FEEL better/more secure in the saddle.

    Thank you!
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        03-16-2012, 10:49 PM
      #2
    Foal
    So you are kind of rocking a pretty serious chair seat, which could be causing a lot of your upper body problems. If you look at your leg, your heel should be under your hip, and when your riding, you should never be able to see your toe out in front of your knee. Your toe should be at the back of the girth, more or less. Where it is now, it looks like your toe is close to banging the horse in the shoulder. You might even consider putting your stirrups up a hole, to help solidify the "heel under your hip" position.

    Having a strong base (heel under your hip) will keep you from being too far back in the saddle and having to make a bigger movement forward over the jump (which maybe the reason you're having trouble with your upper body position). It will also keep your butt from hitting the saddle as your horse's front feet hit the ground (the reason you knocked the pole down), but if you watch you do it repeatedly. Your butt "bounces" in the saddle once on landing. I would definitely try raising your stirrups a hole.

    That's a really nice horse btw :)
         
        03-16-2012, 11:07 PM
      #3
    Weanling
    Yeah, the saddle isn't the best fit for me. Neither are, actually. In the new videos, I'm riding in an old Collegiate. In the old video, I'm riding in my old saddle, a Dover Circuit. I feel better in the Collegiate, so my friend and I switched.

    I also actually recently raised my stirrups, a few weeks ago. We were wondering if those were even too short, but I liked them so they stayed. Do you really think I should go up a hole? Remember, the recent videos are in the T-shirt. The one where I'm in a sweatshirt is over a year old.

    Thank you! Scooter's pretty awesome...I'm so lucky to get to ride him.
         
        03-16-2012, 11:15 PM
      #4
    Trained
    I do like how you're absorbing the jump with your hips instead of throwing your upper body around. You definitely accomplished your goal of keeping your shoulders open. You do seem to be sitting down a tad early after the fence. When you stand straight up in the stirrups with no upper body support, can you stay there or do you fall back?
         
        03-16-2012, 11:21 PM
      #5
    Weanling
    Not sure exactly what that means...but yay? That's good, yes?

    I've always had a problem with sitting back too early. Not sure why, but in every video I've seen of me, I've noticed that.

    If I stand up straight, I can stay there (oddly enough I was doing that earlier today haha). The saddle's not the best fit for me, but it's the better of my options.

    Thank you!
         
        03-16-2012, 11:50 PM
      #6
    Foal
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by juniormylove    
    Yeah, the saddle isn't the best fit for me. Neither are, actually. In the new videos, I'm riding in an old Collegiate. In the old video, I'm riding in my old saddle, a Dover Circuit. I feel better in the Collegiate, so my friend and I switched.

    I also actually recently raised my stirrups, a few weeks ago. We were wondering if those were even too short, but I liked them so they stayed. Do you really think I should go up a hole? Remember, the recent videos are in the T-shirt. The one where I'm in a sweatshirt is over a year old.

    Thank you! Scooter's pretty awesome...I'm so lucky to get to ride him.

    Once you get to a point in riding and jumping you will have to start putting your stirrups up again, it comes along with your strength and athleticism and how your body is built. To me, I'd like to see them up a hole. They are going to FEEL short. I'm still seeing like a 95-ish degree angle in your knee where you would probably have a stronger jumping position with a 90 degree angle, especially with how far your heel comes down. It's a little overextended almost, and raising the stirrups a hole might help keep it from getting that far down which could also be putting your leg at the bad angle.

    And let me tell you, I know all about bad saddles, I've ridden in everything from ancient crosbys (you know those saddles with no knee roll that pretty much mold to the horse you put them on they're so old) to brand new PJs and I know a saddle can do a lot to your position but you don't want to let it TRAIN your position.
         
        03-17-2012, 12:12 AM
      #7
    Super Moderator
    I think in both videos you ride pretty well, but you look a bit more ragged in the older one.
    Honestly, since I am not a jumper, I can only offere advice when I see something glaringly wrong. In your case, I would be in seventh heaven if I could jump like you do. You look soft , and secure and the horse looks very trusting. I like what I see.
         
        03-17-2012, 12:18 AM
      #8
    Trained
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by juniormylove    
    Not sure exactly what that means...but yay? That's good, yes?



    Thank you!
    Yeah, it's a good thing. You're staying put and let your horse jump up to you, not trying to jump for him. I always know if I put in a good jump if I feel all the motion in my hips.
         
        03-17-2012, 10:38 AM
      #9
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yourcolorfuladdiction    
    Once you get to a point in riding and jumping you will have to start putting your stirrups up again, it comes along with your strength and athleticism and how your body is built. To me, I'd like to see them up a hole. They are going to FEEL short. I'm still seeing like a 95-ish degree angle in your knee where you would probably have a stronger jumping position with a 90 degree angle, especially with how far your heel comes down. It's a little overextended almost, and raising the stirrups a hole might help keep it from getting that far down which could also be putting your leg at the bad angle.

    And let me tell you, I know all about bad saddles, I've ridden in everything from ancient crosbys (you know those saddles with no knee roll that pretty much mold to the horse you put them on they're so old) to brand new PJs and I know a saddle can do a lot to your position but you don't want to let it TRAIN your position.
    I almost had my mom take a picture of my stirrups after my lesson, but I forgot. Gr.
    But anyways. This is the length that I rode at for over a year...it's only within the past few weeks that I've shortened them a hole.


    I do agree that my ankle is almost too flexible (while I do tend to brace against the stirrups after I've landed/in the corner, my heel does actually just bend a lot)

    This saddle actually fits me the best out of any saddle I've "owned." My saddle fits the owner of this one better too, so we just swapped haha.

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tinyliny    
    I think in both videos you ride pretty well, but you look a bit more ragged in the older one.
    Honestly, since I am not a jumper, I can only offere advice when I see something glaringly wrong. In your case, I would be in seventh heaven if I could jump like you do. You look soft , and secure and the horse looks very trusting. I like what I see.
    Thank you!

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MyBoyPuck    
    Yeah, it's a good thing. You're staying put and let your horse jump up to you, not trying to jump for him. I always know if I put in a good jump if I feel all the motion in my hips.
    Oh, I get it now! Yeah, that's really what my lessons these past few weeks have been focusing on.
         
        03-17-2012, 10:59 AM
      #10
    Yearling
    Hmm I think I agree with the above posters! I'm kind of weird about sitting around the course... My friend does it and when she does, she keeps her hands in her crotch and it literally looks like she's just sitting there, propped up on her horse enjoying the ride. I think if your going to sit there, you need to pick your hands up and hold them steady.. Just a weird personal preference :) my horses canter is really hard to sit around a course so I half-seat :).

    Anyway, you have a LOT of improvement in your videos! A year ago, it looks like you were just sitting on a couch, but in your recent ones, you look way more alert, shoulders back, and one with your horse! I think you should work on bringing your hands up, holding them a little more still around your course (I only watched one of the videos, could have been just that one video! Sorry if I'm wrong :) ) and try holding our your 2-point just a hair bit longer!

    You seem so dedicated and really willing to improve... With that attitude, you can accomplish anything! :)
    Posted via Mobile Device
         

    Quick Reply
    Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
    Message:
    Options

    Register Now

    In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

    Already have a Horse Forum account?
    Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

    New to the Horse Forum?
    Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

    User Name:
    Password
    Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
    Password:
    Confirm Password:
    Email Address
    Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
    Email Address:

    Log-in

    Human Verification

    In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


    Old Thread Warning
    This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Please do a jumping critique of Eddie jumping 3'9". fortheloveofhorse Horse Riding Critique 18 09-18-2009 02:56 AM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:31 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0