Jumping & Dressage :) - Page 2 - The Horse Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 48 Old 11-16-2008, 05:42 AM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Denmark
Posts: 176
• Horses: 3
Thanks alot, that was great advice!

Quote:
For stiffness, try riding without stirrups for a while to help gain your balance.
Yes, sometimes I go and ride without a saddle and I think that helps alot since I can relax and stretch my legs as much as I want.. xD Thus being able to use them better. So i'll try that out again soon since its been a while since I rode without stirrups.. :)

fedex: Thanks a lot for all the advice! I'll definitly try this out next lesson. I now notice more and more mistakes I made which i haven't noticed before, so that was great help! :)

"When I bestride him, I soar, I am a hawk: he trots the air; the earth sings when he touches it; the basest horn of his hoof is more musical than the pipe of Hermes." -Shakespeare
Vicizmax is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 48 Old 11-16-2008, 05:52 AM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Denmark
Posts: 176
• Horses: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyWimps View Post
But I love his movements. He has nice gaits and is nice all around horse. I think he'll go far in dressage competitions! What breed and what age?
He's a nice little mover and I really like him!! If you find him missing...I'll admit to this one.....it was me
He's registered as Danish Sportpony! But his mother was a New Forest, and i know he definitly has some arab blood in him.. :)
He's 17 years old, so a bit old now.. :p
He used to do really big competitions in both jumping and dressage with his old owner, when he was younger, he can do all the exercises in dressage.. :) Its just me who isnt that experienced.. xD hehe

"When I bestride him, I soar, I am a hawk: he trots the air; the earth sings when he touches it; the basest horn of his hoof is more musical than the pipe of Hermes." -Shakespeare
Vicizmax is offline  
post #13 of 48 Old 11-16-2008, 05:54 AM
Foal
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Holland
Posts: 30
• Horses: 2
I don't want to be mean, just that you know.

You are pulling to much in your horses mouth. On a circle, when he comes up.
If you want him to go on the bit, you have to achieve that with relaxation and flexibilty. Not by "Let pull him into this position". And keep your toes in, I can hang my coat over your feet. ;) Don't lean back too much, it doesn't look nice and it gives you a look that your pulling to much.
And before you do flying changes, half pass and all of that, you have to get your horse on the bit, relaxed.
Half of the judges these days don't even know what relaxation means, what flexibility means. These days it's all about pull into position.
Nadia is offline  
post #14 of 48 Old 11-16-2008, 11:49 AM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Denmark
Posts: 176
• Horses: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadia View Post
I don't want to be mean, just that you know.

You are pulling to much in your horses mouth. On a circle, when he comes up.
If you want him to go on the bit, you have to achieve that with relaxation and flexibilty. Not by "Let pull him into this position". And keep your toes in, I can hang my coat over your feet. ;) Don't lean back too much, it doesn't look nice and it gives you a look that your pulling to much.
And before you do flying changes, half pass and all of that, you have to get your horse on the bit, relaxed.
Half of the judges these days don't even know what relaxation means, what flexibility means. These days it's all about pull into position.
Yes unfortunately he's very stiff and he's not my horse, so I only ride him once a week! Otherwise he goes on hunts in the weekends and is ridden by beginners.. :/ So i dont have any days where I can practice basic things like that..! Which really annoys me, but what can I do? :/

"When I bestride him, I soar, I am a hawk: he trots the air; the earth sings when he touches it; the basest horn of his hoof is more musical than the pipe of Hermes." -Shakespeare
Vicizmax is offline  
post #15 of 48 Old 11-16-2008, 03:47 PM
Foal
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Holland
Posts: 30
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicizmax View Post
Yes unfortunately he's very stiff and he's not my horse, so I only ride him once a week! Otherwise he goes on hunts in the weekends and is ridden by beginners.. :/ So i dont have any days where I can practice basic things like that..! Which really annoys me, but what can I do? :/
Well, here's something simple for you. Keep to this warming-up!
10 minutes walk, first 5 min. long loose reins. Then ride him round and low. Not Rollkur, but lower. This loosens his neck muscles up. And ride plenty of circles. Make him look outwards and inwards, that is the most important. Your horse has to be flexible. Try a trot and ride him low and round. Keep him active, plenty of collected trot and burst out into extented trot. This has to happen in 1,2,3! This way you keep you horse from leaning into your hands and using your hands as a carrier. Then give him more room (loosen the reins) if I'm right, he will try and search the contact between you and him. When he does that, you can begin the real work.
I happy to help you anytime. I work with problem horses, a stiff neck is a tiny problem to me. You don't want to know what kind of problems I've been through.

If you ever want anymore help or tips, just ask. I here to help. ;)
Nadia is offline  
post #16 of 48 Old 11-16-2008, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Denmark
Posts: 176
• Horses: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadia View Post
Well, here's something simple for you. Keep to this warming-up!
10 minutes walk, first 5 min. long loose reins. Then ride him round and low. Not Rollkur, but lower. This loosens his neck muscles up. And ride plenty of circles. Make him look outwards and inwards, that is the most important. Your horse has to be flexible. Try a trot and ride him low and round. Keep him active, plenty of collected trot and burst out into extented trot. This has to happen in 1,2,3! This way you keep you horse from leaning into your hands and using your hands as a carrier. Then give him more room (loosen the reins) if I'm right, he will try and search the contact between you and him. When he does that, you can begin the real work.
I happy to help you anytime. I work with problem horses, a stiff neck is a tiny problem to me. You don't want to know what kind of problems I've been through.

If you ever want anymore help or tips, just ask. I here to help. ;)
Again, thanks, hehe :p
When i warm up i only ride circles, i make big and small ones, around the jumps, changing direction after every circle, trying to loosen him up. And it helps, he relaxes more, but because of his stiffness (cuz he's not worked well every day, they just put a loose chambon on him and he rides around with his nose in the air) every time i try to get him to bend his neck, or just turn his neck left or right, he speeds up, so then of course i hold him back before he has the time to speed up, and make a circle but then he stops and starts to rise on his hind legs. And if i keep trying, he just stops and rises more often, tenses and then i have a really bad jumping lesson because he starts hopping around.. :/

A few weeks ago, I was allowed to borrow him for a dressage lesson, and I really got him loosened up in the end! For half an hour, i struggled with him stopping, rising, going sideways, going too fast and all kinds of things, but after 30 minutes of hard work it payed off, he went down and bended his neck by himself, i didnt even have to have any contact with his mouth, i loosened my reins and he still went down! But that was some hell of a lesson, and the next day he went to the forest, so unfortunately it all went to waste.. -.-'

So if you have any advice of how I can loosen him up in 5-10 minutes of trot and gallop, please do tell!

My lesson is at 16:30 on thursdays but we have to set the jumps up at 16, we cant do it earlier cuz there's lessons, so i have to set up jumps from 16:00 to 16:15, saddle up fast and get in the saddle, so i'm down at the riding house around 16:18-16:20, I walk him around 7 minutes, then I have 5-10 minutes to warm him up, since i get a few minutes at the start of the lesson before we jump, then I warm up on a cross and a few small jumps before we really begin at around 16:35, and then we do a course and stuff untill 16:45, and then i walk him off. I only get 15 min. of a jumping lesson because i have my private lessons alone. If I rode with another person, it would be half an hour, but there's no other rider who has a pony who takes the private lessons, and I cant have it with a horse because of the distances on the double jumps and stuff. So the length of the lesson depends on how many people there are, so each person gets 15 min in all.

"When I bestride him, I soar, I am a hawk: he trots the air; the earth sings when he touches it; the basest horn of his hoof is more musical than the pipe of Hermes." -Shakespeare
Vicizmax is offline  
post #17 of 48 Old 11-17-2008, 02:39 AM
Foal
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Holland
Posts: 30
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicizmax View Post
Again, thanks, hehe :p
When i warm up i only ride circles, i make big and small ones, around the jumps, changing direction after every circle, trying to loosen him up. And it helps, he relaxes more, but because of his stiffness (cuz he's not worked well every day, they just put a loose chambon on him and he rides around with his nose in the air) every time i try to get him to bend his neck, or just turn his neck left or right, he speeds up, so then of course i hold him back before he has the time to speed up, and make a circle but then he stops and starts to rise on his hind legs. And if i keep trying, he just stops and rises more often, tenses and then i have a really bad jumping lesson because he starts hopping around.. :/

A few weeks ago, I was allowed to borrow him for a dressage lesson, and I really got him loosened up in the end! For half an hour, i struggled with him stopping, rising, going sideways, going too fast and all kinds of things, but after 30 minutes of hard work it payed off, he went down and bended his neck by himself, i didnt even have to have any contact with his mouth, i loosened my reins and he still went down! But that was some hell of a lesson, and the next day he went to the forest, so unfortunately it all went to waste.. -.-'

So if you have any advice of how I can loosen him up in 5-10 minutes of trot and gallop, please do tell!

My lesson is at 16:30 on thursdays but we have to set the jumps up at 16, we cant do it earlier cuz there's lessons, so i have to set up jumps from 16:00 to 16:15, saddle up fast and get in the saddle, so i'm down at the riding house around 16:18-16:20, I walk him around 7 minutes, then I have 5-10 minutes to warm him up, since i get a few minutes at the start of the lesson before we jump, then I warm up on a cross and a few small jumps before we really begin at around 16:35, and then we do a course and stuff untill 16:45, and then i walk him off. I only get 15 min. of a jumping lesson because i have my private lessons alone. If I rode with another person, it would be half an hour, but there's no other rider who has a pony who takes the private lessons, and I cant have it with a horse because of the distances on the double jumps and stuff. So the length of the lesson depends on how many people there are, so each person gets 15 min in all.
Just trot and canter?
Try and do the same in trot as you did in walk. On the longest side of the arena you bring him back to collected trot, then do a fullout extended trot and back to collected trot again then extended again. Now his hindlegs will start working, he will pick them up more. This will lead to more relaxation. Ride half-pass. Make sure he takes his hindlegs with him. Now you push him into canter. If he doesn't react to your legs, just try again. If he doesn't do it then give a small kick, now he should canter. But bring him back and start again. Once he's cantering try collected and extended. Big and small circles, half-pass and counter canter. After you've done all of this, Bring him to a walk. then a collected trot, the a extended trot, collected canter and extended canter. Now he should feel much looser. This usually takes me 6-8 minutes.
Nadia is offline  
post #18 of 48 Old 11-20-2008, 04:48 AM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Denmark
Posts: 176
• Horses: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadia View Post
Just trot and canter?
Try and do the same in trot as you did in walk. On the longest side of the arena you bring him back to collected trot, then do a fullout extended trot and back to collected trot again then extended again. Now his hindlegs will start working, he will pick them up more. This will lead to more relaxation. Ride half-pass. Make sure he takes his hindlegs with him. Now you push him into canter. If he doesn't react to your legs, just try again. If he doesn't do it then give a small kick, now he should canter. But bring him back and start again. Once he's cantering try collected and extended. Big and small circles, half-pass and counter canter. After you've done all of this, Bring him to a walk. then a collected trot, the a extended trot, collected canter and extended canter. Now he should feel much looser. This usually takes me 6-8 minutes.
Ok thanks alot I'll try that out!!
I'm jumping him today so I can try find someone to film me, and try out all the advice everyone's been giving me ;)

"When I bestride him, I soar, I am a hawk: he trots the air; the earth sings when he touches it; the basest horn of his hoof is more musical than the pipe of Hermes." -Shakespeare
Vicizmax is offline  
post #19 of 48 Old 11-23-2008, 09:48 PM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 638
• Horses: 2
If you ended up getting more video, I'd love to see it! =)

Every ride, good or bad, teaches you something new.
Equuestriaan is offline  
post #20 of 48 Old 11-24-2008, 12:01 AM
Showing
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 11,772
• Horses: 0
Just a few pointers.. I haven't read any other posts:

Dressage -

- You are waaaay too busy with your hands; jerking, tugging, messing around.. I suggest trying to have a quiet, consistant hand - you are making the horse busy in the head because of your busy hands.

- You are crossing your rein over; try and keep your hands steady and on the side of the horse that you're directing the rein to.

- You are very stiff at the trot and don't move well with your horse; try and relax your back, move with your horse, and I can guarantee your horse will start working through his back more.

- You are forcing the horse behind the vertical a few times; again, busy hands are causing this.

- When you are asking for a leg-yield, the horse is overbending and then you correct it, then you let him overbend again - try and keep the horse straighter with a slight bend. This does not mean lose suppleness.

- Keep your leg in line and heels down.

- Overall I think your biggest problem is that you ride too much with your hands; try and shift that so you're riding with your seat and leg more.

- In the second video, while you were doing a loop you asked him nicely off the rail, then let him rush back shoulder-first to the track; instead, try and keep him nice and steady and bent through the loop, instead of just rushing back to the wall.

- All in all, I do think your canter could use some work, it is fairly rushy and unbalanced.

Okay, I am tapped out for critiques for the moment, sorry it's so short.


The lovely images above provided by CVLC Photography cvlphotography.com
JustDressageIt is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Please do a jumping critique of Eddie jumping 3'9". fortheloveofhorse Horse Riding Critique 18 09-18-2009 01:56 AM
Dressage vs. Jumping conformation Sara Horse Riding Critique 3 10-27-2008 10:49 PM
dressage/jumping pictures :) 3days3ways Horse Riding Critique 13 10-27-2008 10:46 PM
Dressage horse_luver4e Horse Training 11 02-12-2008 10:18 PM
Dressage & jumping Guapa Horse Pictures 10 06-26-2007 05:49 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome