Little mare
   

       The Horse Forum > Riding Horses > Horse Riding Critique

Little mare

This is a discussion on Little mare within the Horse Riding Critique forums, part of the Riding Horses category

    Like Tree4Likes

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        04-24-2012, 05:02 PM
      #1
    Foal
    Smile Little mare

    So, this is Lisa, 10yo pony mare. Cross bred some little pona dam, and "big black" sire.... that's all we know....
    We are working merely from February, and I know she has to gain some muscles onto her butt and neck.... and to get rid of the huge belly

    I am also asking on her body generally- She has a little bit big head, for what I know. But I don't see anything else (she is not perfect, I am just not so knowledgable :)

    So what do you guys thing? :)
    I would appreciatte both mare's and my riding critique :)

    Video of her trotting:
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=2957685387532















    <<I know this is a bad picture, but it is the only one where her legs are quite visible



    Thanks for commenting! :*
    Thyme likes this.
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        04-26-2012, 12:43 AM
      #2
    Showing
    Remember to sit up, especially since you are in a Dressage Saddle and slumping makes your cues less clear. Also I think your stirrups may be a hole too long as you have trouble keeping your heels down and your toes are kind of "reaching" for your stirrups.

    Make sure you use the side of your leg for cues, watch that your toes aren't pointing out because then you're using the back of your calf.

    Eyes up when you ride, your horse has a very uphill gait (is that a canter in that 5th picture.

    Also make sure her bridle is even on both sides.. it looks like the right side (her right, our left) is up higher than the other side.

    I'd like to see her in a better working mode.. she seems like she isn't reaching for the bit, but sucking away from it. Forward --leg on, and catch that energy with a half halt.

    Do you have a trainer?

    Also in future it's much easier to get a horse conformation critique in the correct section, not in a thread asking for a horse riding critique as well ;)

    http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/
         
        04-26-2012, 12:56 AM
      #3
    Super Moderator
    Your mare is very cute. Her conformation isnt what I would call pretty or perfect, but she moves nicely in the trot, very free and balanced. She is probably a very sturdy and useful horse .

    I think you ride quite nicely and have a good seat , overall. All I can really say right now is to not pull her reins by bending your wrists and pulling downward. Keep your wrist straigth and use both your fingers and your whole arm. Kind of tighten your shoulder, which makes your elbow come back closer to your ribs. Don't use "doggie paw" hands to move the reins.
         
        04-26-2012, 01:01 AM
      #4
    Foal
    She looks like a sweet girl. A few things I noticed about the riding pictures - in one of the pictures, it looks like the figure eight noseband is getting close to her eye. Your eyes are down and they need to be up and looking ahead. Keep your hands up with your thumps upward, hands about 5-6 inches apart. Your heels need to come down in the stirrups. One more thing, in the last picture over the jump, it looks as though you came into the jump crooked - and were close to landing on the palate! Remember, take your time before jumps to get a steady pace and centered.

    She is a cute mover in the video and looks sound. I like the maroon on her black coat! Really cute mare.
         
        04-26-2012, 02:06 AM
      #5
    Foal
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 94broncoxlt    
    She looks like a sweet girl. A few things I noticed about the riding pictures - in one of the pictures, it looks like the figure eight noseband is getting close to her eye. Your eyes are down and they need to be up and looking ahead. Keep your hands up with your thumps upward, hands about 5-6 inches apart. Your heels need to come down in the stirrups. One more thing, in the last picture over the jump, it looks as though you came into the jump crooked - and were close to landing on the palate! Remember, take your time before jumps to get a steady pace and centered.

    She is a cute mover in the video and looks sound. I like the maroon on her black coat! Really cute mare.
    yes, the noseband got close, I was putting the oil onto in }i don't know how else to say it ) and then I didnt measure and got it to the holes which I thought were for her, but I messed up and didnt check it. I remade it next day...

    The jump... don't even tell me, I was soooo worried ! We don't jump usually, cause I am heavy and big, and can easily get her out of balance.... This as only for the photo
         
        04-26-2012, 03:04 AM
      #6
    Foal
    Hiiii!!!
    really your mare is your cute and this pics is very nice.
         
        04-26-2012, 09:49 AM
      #7
    Foal
    Lisa

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Skyseternalangel    
    Remember to sit up, especially since you are in a Dressage Saddle and slumping makes your cues less clear. Also I think your stirrups may be a hole too long as you have trouble keeping your heels down and your toes are kind of "reaching" for your stirrups.

    Make sure you use the side of your leg for cues, watch that your toes aren't pointing out because then you're using the back of your calf.

    Eyes up when you ride, your horse has a very uphill gait (is that a canter in that 5th picture.

    Also make sure her bridle is even on both sides.. it looks like the right side (her right, our left) is up higher than the other side.

    I'd like to see her in a better working mode.. she seems like she isn't reaching for the bit, but sucking away from it. Forward --leg on, and catch that energy with a half halt.

    Do you have a trainer?

    Also in future it's much easier to get a horse conformation critique in the correct section, not in a thread asking for a horse riding critique as well ;)

    Horse Conformation Critique
    >> this is an all purpose saddle, similar to Wintec 250 :) I would love to have a dressage one, since I started in a dressage club, but in D saddle I will have to use me knees to clues With sitrrups you may be right. It's my custom, from the dressage saddles, I am working on shorting them, but now my legs hurt after riding in short ones... :(

    >>I am trying to use side parts of legs... but she is so small, that wehen I point my toes forward and get my heels down, I don't even touch her belly, and when I do, my knees are out of the saddle... :( So I am teaching her to react on seat aids and she is fortunately learning very fast.

    >>Uphill, not so much, this is a transition, her paces are usually very flat... Since we are starting to try to get a little bit of collection, it sometimes even looks good

    >>I had a trainer until like two months ago, but I refused to lease Liza to her younger sister for shows (I had a lot of work to make her understand, that she doesnt have to run to obstacles etc. I am not going to give her to some 6yo girl to make her race to the jumps....). YesterdayI got a new one but I am not satisfied, she doen't take the horse as a green, which she is, but she wants things from her, which she doesnt know and understand... :(


    Liza usually goes to the bit, but only at walk. She has some great moments in trot, and we don't canter that much in the arena, just to make sure she canters on the correct leg... I am riding her on very light contact, since she is afraid of the bit it seems. She had a very sharp one and her previous owner rode her like kick=go and pull the reins=stop... :( So I bought this plastic one and she seems to accept it better, but theres a lot of work ahead of us :)

    A month ago :) first time on gogue :)




    CarmenL likes this.
         
        04-29-2012, 02:36 PM
      #8
    Foal
    Pic from today :)

         
        04-29-2012, 06:54 PM
      #9
    Showing
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shanoona    
    >> this is an all purpose saddle, similar to Wintec 250 :)
    Oh my bad! I have a huge horse, so my dressage saddle looks like a barbie saddle on him (very small and fake lol!) so when I saw black I thought "oh! Dressage saddle!" Woops!
         
        04-30-2012, 02:51 AM
      #10
    Foal
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Skyseternalangel    
    Oh my bad! I have a huge horse, so my dressage saddle looks like a barbie saddle on him (very small and fake lol!) so when I saw black I thought "oh! Dressage saddle!" Woops!
    Barbie saddle, LOL photo!
         

    Tags
    pony

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Mare infection! I need help asap!Update: Mare is fine! baby too. cowgirl928 Horse Health 96 04-13-2012 02:56 AM
    Soild paint breeding stock mare or Qh mare Parker Horse Ranch Horse Breeds 10 03-05-2012 11:41 PM
    Pregnant mare showing in season to another mare Sandy65 Horse Breeding 7 09-12-2011 09:31 AM
    my mare has suddenly started picking on another mare triggetpony Horse Training 2 06-30-2011 01:17 PM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:08 AM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0