Maddy's Conformation, how does it look? - Page 2
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Riding Horses > Horse Riding Critique

Maddy's Conformation, how does it look?

This is a discussion on Maddy's Conformation, how does it look? within the Horse Riding Critique forums, part of the Riding Horses category

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        01-15-2009, 09:39 PM
      #11
    Started
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mlkarel2010    
    Oh, and to build up top line try to get her to round her back and collect herself. That normally helps build top line, but building topline muscle takes a lot of time
    Ok yeah that is what I have been doing but this time off hasn't been helping :-/

    Thanks!
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        01-15-2009, 10:12 PM
      #12
    Yearling
    Here is what I see.

    * built downhill
    * could definitely use more muscle, especially back and neck
    * long back and neck
    * slightly cow-hocked
    * short pasterns

    As far as muscling goes it will be harder to build her topline up because she is downhill and long back, like most TB. Start by just getting her to use her hindquarters and not pulling down on the bit, because I'm going to guess she is heavy on the forehand, though she might not be. Try for a long low frame, but don't expect her to be able to hold it for too long.

    Hill work is great too and lots of trotting.
         
        01-16-2009, 12:20 AM
      #13
    Started
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Supermane    
    Here is what I see.

    * built downhill
    * could definitely use more muscle, especially back and neck
    * long back and neck
    * slightly cow-hocked
    * short pasterns

    As far as muscling goes it will be harder to build her topline up because she is downhill and long back, like most TB. Start by just getting her to use her hindquarters and not pulling down on the bit, because I'm going to guess she is heavy on the forehand, though she might not be. Try for a long low frame, but don't expect her to be able to hold it for too long.

    Hill work is great too and lots of trotting.
    Thanks!

    I actually had a good amount of muscle in about Oct. And with the holidays and then her getting hurt, it has caused problems with our progress. I have actually got a good headset/her carrying herself .. it has taken about a year since on the track pulling is good ... anywho when she gets back to work (hopefully in 2-3 weeks) I will keep up my nice long trot days, working on her carrying herself and using her hind end ... it's always nice to know when you are doing the right thing! Haha
         
        01-16-2009, 05:24 PM
      #14
    Foal
    Also, another thing that helps build topline is having your horse WALK up and down hills. It doesn't just build back muscle but it will help build muscles on the hind-end and legs and in the front. It helps a lot. It still takes time like everything else, but that is what I did whenever I was training a horse and they needed muscle.
         
        01-16-2009, 05:28 PM
      #15
    Started
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eralcx3    
    Also, another thing that helps build topline is having your horse WALK up and down hills. It doesn't just build back muscle but it will help build muscles on the hind-end and legs and in the front. It helps a lot. It still takes time like everything else, but that is what I did whenever I was training a horse and they needed muscle.
    I wish I had a hill to use ... :(
         
        01-16-2009, 09:49 PM
      #16
    Foal
    Mlkarel2010. Got what I saw, her neck looks odd to me too, but I think it just need muscle. Hand walking is good for stall rest, can you walk her up and down hills?

    I think she would be a super cute hunter with some muscle and shaping!
         
        01-16-2009, 11:02 PM
      #17
    Trained
    Definitely not fat. Out of shape and I think underweight actually. Like you say, maybe you think she's fat because of the fur, but her neck is thin, her back looks like it may be peaked and her rump is definitely not roundish. Also, when a horse is out of shape, it can be easier to think they are fat because things are nice and tight and shiny.

    BTW, it's hard to tell with the photos, but maybe her front toes are long?

    As for stall rest, unless it's a broken bone (generally speaking) I'm completely against it. I've seen the harm it's done and I say: turn her out with free choice hay! It'll do her far more good than being cooped up in a stall.
         
        01-16-2009, 11:34 PM
      #18
    Started
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by northernmama    
    Definitely not fat. Out of shape and I think underweight actually. Like you say, maybe you think she's fat because of the fur, but her neck is thin, her back looks like it may be peaked and her rump is definitely not roundish. Also, when a horse is out of shape, it can be easier to think they are fat because things are nice and tight and shiny.

    BTW, it's hard to tell with the photos, but maybe her front toes are long?

    As for stall rest, unless it's a broken bone (generally speaking) I'm completely against it. I've seen the harm it's done and I say: turn her out with free choice hay! It'll do her far more good than being cooped up in a stall.
    The farrier come out Tuesday, she gets new shoes every 6 weeks on the dot

    She has a 12X12 stall and a 12X24 paddock so she isn't just in a stall anymore ... Yeah she is out of shape right now ... up until about October she was is GREAT shape and then with the holidays and hurting herself she has turned into a lean mean eating machine! Lol

    I feed at night and she gets 2 flakes (one alfalfa and one mixed grass) and then a scoop and a half of Strategy and her vitamins in that... in the am she gets 1.5-2 flakes.

    One she is sounds again, I will continue to work on her muscle, I wish I had a hill but I don't so lots of trotting for us!
         
        01-16-2009, 11:36 PM
      #19
    Started
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by huntseat7    
    mlkarel2010. Got what I saw, her neck looks odd to me too, but I think it just need muscle. Hand walking is good for stall rest, can you walk her up and down hills?

    I think she would be a super cute hunter with some muscle and shaping!

    I don't have any hills

    Yeah she needs muscle but being hurt I can't do much at this time ... I am actually training her to do hunters so im glad you can see her potential, cause I can (when she is worked on a regular basis!)
         
        01-17-2009, 12:01 AM
      #20
    Trained
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kchfuller    
    The farrier come out Tuesday, she gets new shoes every 6 weeks on the dot

    She has a 12X12 stall and a 12X24 paddock so she isn't just in a stall anymore ... Yeah she is out of shape right now ... up until about October she was is GREAT shape and then with the holidays and hurting herself she has turned into a lean mean eating machine! Lol

    I feed at night and she gets 2 flakes (one alfalfa and one mixed grass) and then a scoop and a half of Strategy and her vitamins in that... in the am she gets 1.5-2 flakes.

    One she is sounds again, I will continue to work on her muscle, I wish I had a hill but I don't so lots of trotting for us!
    Oh good! Nice for feet from farriers and paddocks! Yippee!
    I was just looking at her photos from last summer/fall (?) you have up. Pretty! These pictures don't do her justice. If you compare what she's at now to then, you'll see the difference in muscling and her neck.

    BTW, does she need the alfalfa? I wonder if you should trade that for mixed hay and up her a flake or two??
         

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Seeing Conformation? Nomi Horse Riding Critique 8 08-15-2008 01:00 AM
    who has the better conformation? Barngurl314 Horse Riding Critique 15 02-27-2008 05:51 PM
    conformation saraequestrian Horse Riding Critique 3 02-25-2008 07:19 PM
    Conformation? We Control The Chaos Horse Riding Critique 6 10-08-2007 06:09 AM
    Conformation! LoveMyAppy Horse Riding Critique 11 07-26-2007 03:43 PM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:04 AM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0