Instead of making multiple threads for each time I want a riding critique, I'm just going to add to this one. Then I'll also be able to see my progress too!
I've been riding about 4 years, but it's been really on-and-off. I'm naturally hesitant when it comes to horses and riding, so I've been progressing much slower than most riders.
I got my first horse about a month ago. She's a 12-year-old Percheron who's green under saddle, but improving so quickly! But she's also quite proud, and likes to question my authority through little tests (like not picking her feet up to be picked, walking away when I approach with a halter, stopping and backing up when she thinks the ride should be over). She has taught me to be more assertive and confident around horses, which I'm so happy about.
Anyways, I only have a couple videos uploaded of me riding her, and I'm so embarrassed to post them because I honestly suck. I can see so many things wrong.
Here's a video, but the clips are really short so I don't know if you'll be able to critique me at all.
THINGS I SEE WRONG:
- my left stirrup (or was it my right?) is too far into my foot, needs to be more on the ball of my foot.
- heels need to be down
- my legs are swinging alot, so does that mean my stirrups are too long, or something else?
- I had the wrong posting diagonal a couple times
- I don't maintain contact on Delta's mouth yet because she just takes it as "slow down". I have a bit more contact when I'm riding other horses.
- it appears as though I have piano hands, which is also because of the crop I'm holding. I've been consciously working on my hands.
- I'm posting to the trot all wrong - I'm moving my whole body, rather than just my pelvis. Not too sure how to fix this.
If she has the wrong cantering lead, please ignore that. Like I said, she's still green, and it's been a huge task just GETTING her to canter, since she was a working driving horse and was never taught how.