my tn walker/quarter horse mare. - The Horse Forum

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 07-08-2009, 11:28 AM Thread Starter
Weanling
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: in east tennessee
Posts: 496
• Horses: 6
my tn walker/quarter horse mare.

this is my horse beauty she is a 4 yr old tn walker/quarter mix mare,she was given to me for my birthday 2 years ago.when I got her the only thing she knew how to do was ride,she had no groundmanners,she didnt want to load,and she was very head shy,well after working with her for 2 years she can now lead,loaunge,bathe,load,i can ride her bareback through water,she barrel races,shows,parades,and trail rides,and she is starting to jump.i have even taught my 2 couzins(they are the ones working and riding her in the pictures,they didnt know how to work my camera)to ride her.she is a good horse that likes what she does.she can keep up with the gaited horses and she shows in western pleasure,halter,and leadline 10 and under.she is a good horse that im planning on donating to s.t.a.r. A theraputic riding center when she gets older (around 15-20).she isnt gaited.please don't be too tough on the critiques I know she aint the best looking horse but she is probably the most well behaved.


002.jpg

099.jpg

106.jpg

115.jpg

117.jpg

125.jpg

141.jpg
chika1235 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 Old 07-08-2009, 11:33 AM Thread Starter
Weanling
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: in east tennessee
Posts: 496
• Horses: 6
those are my couzins brittany(red hair) and taya working with beauty,i have to use a tie down on her because when she doesnt like something she puts her head up high and its impossible to control her head.im working on it now and she is doing better.
chika1235 is offline  
post #3 of 10 Old 07-08-2009, 11:33 AM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Brokenheartsville, just north of Styxtown :)
Posts: 2,577
• Horses: 1
Is that a Tom Thumb you are using?
Does the horse gait?

Most people are like Slinkies; they serve no real purpose, but they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on for dear life.
Sunny06 is offline  
post #4 of 10 Old 07-08-2009, 11:39 AM
Showing
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Greenville area / SC
Posts: 13,165
• Horses: 3
You seem to have done some good things with her. She looks fine.

One suggestion I would make and that is to ride her with a breast collar. Not because you want her saddle to stay in place but to allow her tie down to run through it. With it hanging the way it does when her head is down, it is way to easy for her to get her hoof through it and that can cause a very bad wreck.

Another way to avoid it is to use a line around her neck and have the tie down run through that instead of a breast collar.

BTW, try moving her to a different shanked bit, the TT you have her in now is a very unbalanced bit and the straight shanks make more severe then it needs to be.

I'm not arguing with you, I'm just explaining why I'm right.

Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong.


It's not always what you say but what they hear.
iridehorses is offline  
post #5 of 10 Old 07-08-2009, 11:49 AM Thread Starter
Weanling
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: in east tennessee
Posts: 496
• Horses: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny06 View Post
Is that a Tom Thumb you are using?
Does the horse gait?

No she isnt gaited.yes I usually use a tom thumb with her but I can use a snaffle with her too,she just isnt as responsive.
chika1235 is offline  
post #6 of 10 Old 07-08-2009, 11:53 AM Thread Starter
Weanling
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: in east tennessee
Posts: 496
• Horses: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by iridehorses View Post
You seem to have done some good things with her. She looks fine.

One suggestion I would make and that is to ride her with a breast collar. Not because you want her saddle to stay in place but to allow her tie down to run through it. With it hanging the way it does when her head is down, it is way to easy for her to get her hoof through it and that can cause a very bad wreck.

Another way to avoid it is to use a line around her neck and have the tie down run through that instead of a breast collar.

BTW, try moving her to a different shanked bit, the TT you have her in now is a very unbalanced bit and the straight shanks make more severe then it needs to be.
yes I've been riding her in a breastcollar then it broke,im trying to fix it one of the screws came loose and im trying to find a replacement screw.what other shanked bit can I use on her?i can't really use a snaffle bit with her because she doesnt respond well.
chika1235 is offline  
post #7 of 10 Old 07-08-2009, 11:56 AM
Started
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 2,148
• Horses: 1
Wow. Interesting combination. I don't know if I have ever seen a Walker/QH mix.

Looks like you are doing good with her.

Red Money Maker (Red) - 2004 Sorrel QH Gelding
Tennessee is offline  
post #8 of 10 Old 07-08-2009, 12:34 PM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Brokenheartsville, just north of Styxtown :)
Posts: 2,577
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by chika1235 View Post
no she isnt gaited.yes I usually use a tom thumb with her but I can use a snaffle with her too,she just isnt as responsive.
How about you try a nice grazing snaffle? Has control, but is good in the right hands, and is WAY better than a TT. TTs are death traps.

That's odd that she isn't gaited. I've seen crosses that do..Maybe if you got her good and collected she would?

Most people are like Slinkies; they serve no real purpose, but they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on for dear life.
Sunny06 is offline  
post #9 of 10 Old 07-08-2009, 02:47 PM Thread Starter
Weanling
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: in east tennessee
Posts: 496
• Horses: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny06 View Post
How about you try a nice grazing snaffle? Has control, but is good in the right hands, and is WAY better than a TT. TTs are death traps.

That's odd that she isn't gaited. I've seen crosses that do..Maybe if you got her good and collected she would?
no she would never gait with me,i can't really trot her bareback because she is the bumpiest horse I've ridden!i have to post in the saddle,her dad was a reg. Tn walker stallion who has a very good gait but her mom was a quarter horse my friend bought at an auction.she was an accidental breeding because they think that the stud got loose and ended up with the quarter mare.
chika1235 is offline  
post #10 of 10 Old 07-08-2009, 02:49 PM Thread Starter
Weanling
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: in east tennessee
Posts: 496
• Horses: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennessee View Post
Wow. Interesting combination. I don't know if I have ever seen a Walker/QH mix.

Looks like you are doing good with her.

Yeah I don't thin a tn walker/quarter horse is the best combo but I have seen some good ones,my mare has a skinny neck and a big head.she was an accidental breeding to a tn walker stud.i would personally never breed a tn walker with a quarter horse because they are soo diffrent!
chika1235 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rescued Quarter Horse Mare Painteddreamfarm Horse Health 24 03-30-2009 10:21 PM
well trained quarter horse mare for sale mattlove Horses for Sale 0 10-13-2008 10:14 AM
quarter horse / thorobred mare for sale elfinstar Horses for Sale 0 03-17-2008 01:38 PM
quarter horse/thorobred mare for sale elfinstar Tack and Equipment Classifieds 11 03-15-2008 10:54 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome