Please Critiqe (video) - Page 2
   

       The Horse Forum > Riding Horses > Horse Riding Critique

Please Critiqe (video)

This is a discussion on Please Critiqe (video) within the Horse Riding Critique forums, part of the Riding Horses category

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        03-02-2011, 05:00 PM
      #11
    Weanling
    IMO 2 years is young. Larger horses (warmbloods and drafts especially) require a longer time to mature. Why would you bother risking longterm injuries? I'm sure there are many other things (showmanship, ground manners, loading, patience, etc.) you can teach her in the meantime.
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        03-02-2011, 09:00 PM
      #12
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BeauReba    
    IMO 2 years is young. Larger horses (warmbloods and drafts especially) require a longer time to mature. Why would you bother risking longterm injuries? I'm sure there are many other things (showmanship, ground manners, loading, patience, etc.) you can teach her in the meantime.
    my qh/belguim, I started riding when he was 2yrs & he's almost 6 yrs now & he is just fine (healthy, fat & sassy)

    I really don't plan on showing her. I just plan on jumpin for fun @ home & trial riding. And probably most likly drive cattle. And right now all I really do with her is ride for about 30mins ever other day. Just around the field. Not like I drive her super hard till she's about to die! When I ride she don't even break a sweat (mostly)
         
        03-02-2011, 09:03 PM
      #13
    Foal
    She looks very sweet, but please please consider giving her another year to grow up in her head and mature physically. You don't want to blow her brains!!

    I'll bet that with the work you've already put in, if you were to turn her away for a year, she'd be amazing!
         
        03-02-2011, 09:12 PM
      #14
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Yoshi    
    She looks very sweet, but please please consider giving her another year to grow up in her head and mature physically. You don't want to blow her brains!!

    I'll bet that with the work you've already put in, if you were to turn her away for a year, she'd be amazing!
    I will consider waiting! Im also considering to have a vet check, I have to have the vet out anyways in a couple of days for shots in all. So I may ask him to look her over & see what he thinks.
    And I really don't think it will blow her brains just to learn to walk around and get use to havin someone on her. But that's me thinking.
         
        03-02-2011, 09:13 PM
      #15
    Foal
    Qh are nearly all broking in as they turn 2 and start competing at 3yo. And keep competing for a very long time. At top level (WEG) most , if not all were broken in as 2yo and seem to be doing fine.

    QH mature very quickly. I would prefer buying a horse that's been broken in at 2yo and did some light riding than one that's 5yo and been seating in a paddock because it was immature.

    My gelding has been on trail rides a few times, and I ride him for 30min 5 times a week. I plan on keeping him for a long time.


    I do agree on not riding a young horse with gaps in his knees tho.

    Have fun with your horse, she seem mature enough and certainly big enough.

    Ps: the video is not of me, its of a trainer of bred my gelding. The black colt is pleasure bred
         
        03-02-2011, 09:27 PM
      #16
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gbhollywoodgrip    
    Qh are nearly all broking in as they turn 2 and start competing at 3yo. And keep competing for a very long time. At top level (WEG) most , if not all were broken in as 2yo and seem to be doing fine.

    QH mature very quickly. I would prefer buying a horse that's been broken in at 2yo and did some light riding than one that's 5yo and been seating in a paddock because it was immature.

    My gelding has been on trail rides a few times, and I ride him for 30min 5 times a week. I plan on keeping him for a long time.


    I do agree on not riding a young horse with gaps in his knees tho.

    Have fun with your horse, she seem mature enough and certainly big enough.

    Ps: the video is not of me, its of a trainer of bred my gelding. The black colt is pleasure bred
    Thank you! Yeah she is a big girl she's about 15 hh. Probably weighs a lot too lol, her mother is a haflinger & her father a qh/beaguim.
         
        03-03-2011, 12:06 AM
      #17
    Weanling
    She is a bit young to be started already to me, but everyone has their own opinions, but I do worry about the small circles you're doing with her. For smaller circles the horse should have a well developed back, and since she is just starting she doesn't have that yet. She does seem very sane for her age, she seems like such a sweetheart! For you to work on, I would say that at the trot and canter you are a bit behind the verticle, which could be hard on her back posting, and it makes it more work for you. Your hands move it a bit much, quiet hands are probably the most important thing to remember when riding a young horse. I would try to refrain from jerking your hand out and down to bend, just a gentle opening of the rein and show her with your hips where you want her to go. For Gabby, her walk is nice and forward, but at the trot she gets either tentative or too racy, but that should get better as she becomes more comfortable under saddle. Her front legs seem straight, but it's hard to tell without still shots, but her back legs seem a bit cow-hocked, but, again, it's hard to tell without a still shot. All in all, she is a pretty, nicely muscled girl! You too will have a fun time growing, and having fun together :)
         
        03-03-2011, 12:21 AM
      #18
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sixlets    
    She is a bit young to be started already to me, but everyone has their own opinions, but I do worry about the small circles you're doing with her. For smaller circles the horse should have a well developed back, and since she is just starting she doesn't have that yet. She does seem very sane for her age, she seems like such a sweetheart! For you to work on, I would say that at the trot and canter you are a bit behind the verticle, which could be hard on her back posting, and it makes it more work for you. Your hands move it a bit much, quiet hands are probably the most important thing to remember when riding a young horse. I would try to refrain from jerking your hand out and down to bend, just a gentle opening of the rein and show her with your hips where you want her to go. For Gabby, her walk is nice and forward, but at the trot she gets either tentative or too racy, but that should get better as she becomes more comfortable under saddle. Her front legs seem straight, but it's hard to tell without still shots, but her back legs seem a bit cow-hocked, but, again, it's hard to tell without a still shot. All in all, she is a pretty, nicely muscled girl! You too will have a fun time growing, and having fun together :)
    Thank you for all the great advice, I know im pretty lazy when it comes to the right movements, I havnt rode proper "English" in awhile, I ride with the saddle, just not "english" im tryin to pick back up all I learned in my 2yrs in jumping lessons, but its hard, when I don't have a trainer to yell at me lol!
    Thank you again, im workin harder on myself then I am her lol!
         
        03-03-2011, 01:56 AM
      #19
    Yearling
    Look at all that space... and all that grass!! Can I just trailer the 3000 miles to your place and ride around in all that open air!??? Wow. Very lucky!
         
        03-03-2011, 10:15 AM
      #20
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Oxer    
    Look at all that space... and all that grass!! Can I just trailer the 3000 miles to your place and ride around in all that open air!??? Wow. Very lucky!
    yeah sure come on over! Im always open for riding buddies lol! Yeah we have about 150 acrs. Plus some dirt road & another field across from us, so I alwasy cut threw the woods over the dirt road to the other field lol!

    And Thank you! :)
         

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Critiqe 13y/o QH Jumper LeosAmericanShadow Horse Riding Critique 10 02-18-2011 06:52 PM
    ridding critiqe brighteyes08 Horse Riding Critique 5 09-26-2010 02:44 PM
    Looking for pictures and video clips for a youtube video. SPhorsemanship Horse Pictures 7 04-06-2010 05:57 PM
    critiqe my fren (karkar27) Mathew Horse Riding Critique 18 06-15-2007 07:46 AM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:44 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0