Please critique Comet and I :D
   

       The Horse Forum > Riding Horses > Horse Riding Critique

Please critique Comet and I :D

This is a discussion on Please critique Comet and I :D within the Horse Riding Critique forums, part of the Riding Horses category
  • Comet the horse
  • Comet horse

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    07-30-2011, 12:48 PM
  #1
Started
Talking Please critique Comet and I :D

Our first and second dressage lesson! He is learning to supple and round. Keep in mind that he is a Standardbred. This is really good progress for him.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 266302_2050327191290_1637795866_1983967_7047211_o.jpg (98.8 KB, 191 views)
File Type: jpg 266343_2064080255108_1637795866_2000961_6647641_o.jpg (98.8 KB, 189 views)
File Type: jpg 278857_2050328391320_1637795866_1983970_1241136_o.jpg (98.7 KB, 193 views)
File Type: jpg 278931_2050333191440_1637795866_1983980_2905529_o.jpg (90.3 KB, 185 views)
File Type: jpg 279032_2050329191340_1637795866_1983972_3496424_o.jpg (99.3 KB, 190 views)
File Type: jpg 051.jpg (99.2 KB, 185 views)
File Type: jpg 035.jpg (100.2 KB, 184 views)
File Type: jpg 054.jpg (95.9 KB, 184 views)
File Type: jpg 069.jpg (99.8 KB, 180 views)
File Type: jpg 044.jpg (100.0 KB, 183 views)
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    07-30-2011, 01:58 PM
  #2
Super Moderator
The 5th picture is the best representation of the position you and your horse would be best at at the beginning of your study of dressage. I would even work on having the horse lower his head even more , if possible. He's a really cute horse with a lovely stride, beautiful head and seems to have apretty willing expression, if a little bit irritated at the rein contact. That might be becaause you have just a tiny bit too much downward pull on the reins.

I know it's tempting to use a downward angle to try and get the horse to reach downward, but this often puts a harder pressure on the bars of the mouth and makes the horse resist. YOu want to really try to maintain that line of bit to elbow, even when asking for a downward reach from the horse.

Keep your hands up, thumbs on top and elbows connected to your ribcage. Your leg looks good, and you sit up pretty well. There is a wee bit toomuch forward angle to the pelvis . Drop your knee down more, lift the crown of your head up.
YOur shoulders are really fairly twisted in a lot of those photos, usually to the inside. I know all about this 'cause I have the same issue. We are trying to "help" our horse bend , but we need to stay centrally balanced over them to not interfere, especially at the canter.

The horse has potential, and so do you. Thank you for sharing and good luck in your further lessons.
     
    07-30-2011, 02:50 PM
  #3
Yearling
Your reins are super long. I rode in some rubber reins that were really long like that as well... and they accidentally got looped around the bottom of my boot... and we had quite a mess on our hands. Just a suggestion, maybe some shorter reins.
     
    07-30-2011, 03:10 PM
  #4
Started
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxer    
your reins are super long. I rode in some rubber reins that were really long like that as well... and they accidentally got looped around the bottom of my boot... and we had quite a mess on our hands. Just a suggestion, maybe some shorter reins.

Yeah those are my western split reins. I just bought some laced english ones :)
     
    07-30-2011, 04:18 PM
  #5
Foal
I agree that the 5th picture looks like a great beginning to your dressage career! You have nice light contact, and he seems to be responding well to that. I know its hard to get those standardbred heads to reach down after so much training in the opposite direction. My trainer had me lunge my horse in side reins to help build up the muscles he will need to really collect. Not crazy tight side reins, just enough to encourage the lower head set to help work those muscles.
     
    07-30-2011, 04:55 PM
  #6
Started
Quote:
Originally Posted by wren    
I agree that the 5th picture looks like a great beginning to your dressage career! You have nice light contact, and he seems to be responding well to that. I know its hard to get those standardbred heads to reach down after so much training in the opposite direction. My trainer had me lunge my horse in side reins to help build up the muscles he will need to really collect. Not crazy tight side reins, just enough to encourage the lower head set to help work those muscles.
Thanks! We actually aren't going to do any showing. He is a pleasure horse but why not get him to the best that he can be? He doesn't just do english either. We are doing some dressage because I believe it will give us a really solid base to build off of so we can do different disciplines
     
    07-31-2011, 07:53 PM
  #7
Foal
He's the most gorgeous STB I've ever seen; what a find!

I'm glad you got english reins. Nothing wrong with the splits, just not a fan of the snaps when you are trying to establish a contact. Be careful not to end up with backwards thinking hands in your lap. I think "shorter" reins may be the wrong idea, but you could choke up on them making the length with your arms.
     
    08-01-2011, 12:03 AM
  #8
Started
Quote:
Originally Posted by equinesalways    
He's the most gorgeous STB I've ever seen; what a find!

I'm glad you got english reins. Nothing wrong with the splits, just not a fan of the snaps when you are trying to establish a contact. Be careful not to end up with backwards thinking hands in your lap. I think "shorter" reins may be the wrong idea, but you could choke up on them making the length with your arms.

Thank you! He is my best friend <3
     
    08-03-2011, 05:09 PM
  #9
Yearling
I think you look great just two things I sorta noticed, one big thing...your helmet. It tips back on your head and heaven forbid you fall and hit the front of your head...OUCHHH! It looks like it may be too big or just isnt tight enough on your head. And the second thing is more of a question I guess, why are you riding in rain boots?
     
    08-03-2011, 10:02 PM
  #10
Started
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicole25    
I think you look great just two things I sorta noticed, one big thing...your helmet. It tips back on your head and heaven forbid you fall and hit the front of your head...OUCHHH! It looks like it may be too big or just isnt tight enough on your head. And the second thing is more of a question I guess, why are you riding in rain boots?
Yes I know. I have a new one :P That was just a spare because I wrecked my other one in a bad fall. Better than nothing! Haha I just felt like it. They make good riding boots!
     

Tags
critique, dressage, lesson, schooling, standardbred

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Western Riding critique and confo critique on Romeo Pidge Horse Riding Critique 19 10-09-2012 02:21 AM
In Memory of Comet aappyfan1 Horse Memorials 2 10-14-2008 04:13 PM
Comet is home! WSArabians Horse Pictures 18 06-26-2008 07:05 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0