Please critique my flatwork! - The Horse Forum

 1Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 11-12-2012, 01:18 PM Thread Starter
Weanling
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: West Sussex, England
Posts: 463
• Horses: 0
Please critique my flatwork!

This is me riding Bruno, my new part loan pony. I look after and ride him once a week, and I love him to bits!
He can be a bit pushy on the ground but I feel I click with him when it comes to riding. I feel like I have improved a lot in the past few weeks, I ride 2 - 3 times a week, including one lesson. A couple of months ago my lower leg was flapping around in sitting trot and canter. I still feel very much a passenger than a rider, but I think I'm getting better!
I feel that my canter transition is messy, and it's probably due to a not very active trot.
I'm not sure if my stirrups could go down a hole?
Do you think I'm ready to start jumping him?
Thank you!

To ride or not to ride? ... What a stupid question!!
ElaineLighten is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 Old 11-12-2012, 01:37 PM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 38,062
• Horses: 2
your lower leg looked good. There wasn't quite enough posting trot work for me to judge you very well. Canter looked good, but as you said, you need to get more energy out of the little fellow.
Making good progress!
tinyliny is offline  
post #3 of 12 Old 11-12-2012, 01:46 PM Thread Starter
Weanling
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: West Sussex, England
Posts: 463
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyliny View Post
your lower leg looked good. There wasn't quite enough posting trot work for me to judge you very well. Canter looked good, but as you said, you need to get more energy out of the little fellow.
Making good progress!
Ahh I'm sorry, I should have done more posting, I was having a good practice at sitting trot today so was limiting my posting to just after my canters. (I think sitting trot after cantering is a bit ambitious for me right now ).
Thank you so much!

To ride or not to ride? ... What a stupid question!!
ElaineLighten is offline  
post #4 of 12 Old 11-15-2012, 11:02 PM
Foal
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 31
• Horses: 0
WOW! Great transition to the canter!
I like how you are quiet with your hands, your horse was willing to go forward because of your leg. Looks like an honest horse, so if he feels ready to take it to the next level, go for it!
What I recommend before jumping:
Contact is Crucial!
While approaching a jump you must stay steady, let the horse keep a steady forward rhythm.
Just before the jump (breatheeee, exhale!) you will advance properly when your horse knows where his feet are.
Over the jump you don't want to change a thing (unless you're jumpers, it gets in depth hah).
--- Now to achieve a steady pace and keep contact after the jump, I recommend starting with ground poles and caveletti's. These can really help the rider and the horse allow each other to move in sync. While approaching an elevated pole (caveletti) let your horse accept the bit. Push him forward (not faster!) and really allow him the rein to take the bit. Keep the forward motion and your contact on the rein and maybe throw in circles and serpentine's.

I know I ramble, but you are only a few steps away from being really ready to jump.
It's all about flatwork. Really take your time to get in touch with your horses bending, extending, and praise!

Here's a reference video I've found....

mbaron5731 is offline  
post #5 of 12 Old 11-16-2012, 05:23 AM Thread Starter
Weanling
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: West Sussex, England
Posts: 463
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbaron5731 View Post
WOW! Great transition to the canter!
I like how you are quiet with your hands, your horse was willing to go forward because of your leg. Looks like an honest horse, so if he feels ready to take it to the next level, go for it!
What I recommend before jumping:
Contact is Crucial!
While approaching a jump you must stay steady, let the horse keep a steady forward rhythm.
Just before the jump (breatheeee, exhale!) you will advance properly when your horse knows where his feet are.
Over the jump you don't want to change a thing (unless you're jumpers, it gets in depth hah).
--- Now to achieve a steady pace and keep contact after the jump, I recommend starting with ground poles and caveletti's. These can really help the rider and the horse allow each other to move in sync. While approaching an elevated pole (caveletti) let your horse accept the bit. Push him forward (not faster!) and really allow him the rein to take the bit. Keep the forward motion and your contact on the rein and maybe throw in circles and serpentine's.

I know I ramble, but you are only a few steps away from being really ready to jump.
It's all about flatwork. Really take your time to get in touch with your horses bending, extending, and praise!

Here's a reference video I've found....
Cavaletti Training for Horses with Erika Jansson, Dressage Trainer - YouTube
Thank you so much!
He is already an experienced jumper, it's just me that's not experienced! But I will go through exercises from the bottom up. I have a great book titled "101 jumping exercises", and these start with trot poles, courses of trot poles, canter poles, courses of poles, cavalettis, etc before you even do one cross pole!
I have been doing some jumping work in my riding lessons so am quite confident with a light seat and small cross poles. (I've never jumped anything over 2')
mbaron5731 likes this.

To ride or not to ride? ... What a stupid question!!
ElaineLighten is offline  
post #6 of 12 Old 11-28-2012, 04:07 AM Thread Starter
Weanling
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: West Sussex, England
Posts: 463
• Horses: 0
friendly bump

To ride or not to ride? ... What a stupid question!!
ElaineLighten is offline  
post #7 of 12 Old 11-28-2012, 04:35 AM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Central Western NSW, Australia
Posts: 1,078
• Horses: 3
You have great posture, and I envy your sitting trot.

I'm torn about your stirrups. One moment they look too short, the next they look fine. You could always give it a shot riding with them out one and see how it feels. It also looks like you might have your toes turned out a little too far, but again I can't be sure.

You move with him nicely and look to have a good seat. Try and work on pepping up his trot before the canter, but apart from that it looks great.

All up, he's a lovely little guy and you look wonderful with him.
Tracer is offline  
post #8 of 12 Old 11-28-2012, 05:13 AM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 3,411
• Horses: 1
During your sitting trot you lower leg is creeping too far forward so I would guess you should take your stirrups down a hole. In both trot and canter he isn't really going very forward and being active but a good starting point. Do you have an RI?

(I'm in the next county to you in Hampshire)
Clava is offline  
post #9 of 12 Old 11-28-2012, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
Weanling
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: West Sussex, England
Posts: 463
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracer View Post
You have great posture, and I envy your sitting trot.

I'm torn about your stirrups. One moment they look too short, the next they look fine. You could always give it a shot riding with them out one and see how it feels. It also looks like you might have your toes turned out a little too far, but again I can't be sure.

You move with him nicely and look to have a good seat. Try and work on pepping up his trot before the canter, but apart from that it looks great.

All up, he's a lovely little guy and you look wonderful with him.
Thank you, I can tell you now, I've been practicing my sitting trot for so long, it's so good to have finally cracked it!
They used to be a hole lower but I found my feet were sliding in and out the stirrups, so I popped them up a hole, now I can't make up my mind if they're too short or not! I'm schooling him again on Monday so I'll put them down one and see how it goes :)
I really need to work on my feet actually. When I relax them, at a stand, my toes are pointing forwards. Then when I start to move I tense up my ankles a bit and my toes poke out. I'm always reminded of my pokey toes when my feet hit the fence! I need to relax my feet a bit more, it'll just take some practice I guess.
Thank you again, I love this pony to bits! He's awesome! Just needs a bit more energy (he is in the very early stages of very very mild cushings disease apparently, so he's been a bit low)

To ride or not to ride? ... What a stupid question!!
ElaineLighten is offline  
post #10 of 12 Old 11-28-2012, 05:15 PM Thread Starter
Weanling
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: West Sussex, England
Posts: 463
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clava View Post
During your sitting trot you lower leg is creeping too far forward so I would guess you should take your stirrups down a hole. In both trot and canter he isn't really going very forward and being active but a good starting point. Do you have an RI?

(I'm in the next county to you in Hampshire)
Hey there neighbour ;)
I put in the above post about my stirrups, I'm torn about their length!
Admittedly I wasn't pushing him much in the trot so I could sit to it, I'll try get another video of me riding him in a rising trot and hopefully there will be a bit of a difference :)
Sorry, what's an RI?

To ride or not to ride? ... What a stupid question!!
ElaineLighten is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
critique our flatwork please :) ticklytiger12 Horse Riding Critique 16 05-25-2010 05:10 PM
Flatwork Critique horsegirlmaddy Horse Riding Critique 9 04-05-2010 06:25 PM
flatwork critique anyone? mell Horse Riding Critique 11 01-26-2009 05:11 AM
flatwork critique Miss Katie Horse Riding Critique 12 05-10-2008 06:19 AM
Critique - 3 yrd old on flatwork magik416 Horse Riding Critique 3 12-11-2007 10:40 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome