Sky over the span of 2 months.. (picture heavy!)
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Riding Horses > Horse Riding Critique

Sky over the span of 2 months.. (picture heavy!)

This is a discussion on Sky over the span of 2 months.. (picture heavy!) within the Horse Riding Critique forums, part of the Riding Horses category
  • Will weight gain improve horses ewe neck and top line?
  • is my horse underweight pictures

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    08-10-2011, 01:30 AM
  #1
Showing
Sky over the span of 2 months.. (picture heavy!)

Please critique his weight gain, his conformation, and give me any and all advice. Working on getting him back in an English saddle.. he has been in an Australian saddle with thick western pad and a towel for elevation for about 4 and a half months now. So here are the pictures, plus my attempt a few weeks back at his conformation with an awwwful shot :P
Album: SKY pictures by MuzminMuffin45 - Photobucket

P.S: Ground IS NOT LEVEL! But I tried my best...!

11/12/10 When I first got him


7/8/11








7/11/11




7/17/11




8/5/11













And the awful Confo pic taken 7/8:








Thanks!!
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    08-10-2011, 01:22 PM
  #2
Foal
I don't know much about confo, other than when I am looking at good or really bad, so I am looking forward to hearing what others think. Especially with your diagram in the last photo! Good work!

I think, from the line you drew out, he is a bit ewe necked. But, with that said, I also think he still looks a little underweight. So maybe he just needs some muscle to prime up? My horse flourished on grass, do you have access to pasture?

Anyway, he is cute! Nice face, kind eye. That's what I like in a good horse.
     
    08-10-2011, 01:31 PM
  #3
Banned
He looks pretty good, but wouldn't object to seeing another 25-30 pounds put on him. (I prefer a tiny bit of chub to a tiny bit of rib, but that's just me)

From the last picture, he looks to be built a tad bit uphill. I like the angle of his shoulder, and holy sharkfin withers!!! I'm not a confo expert, so take my critique with a grain of salt.

He is beautiful btw.
     
    08-10-2011, 01:37 PM
  #4
Weanling
Nice looking horse! I like the picture above the confo one because it has a rainbow in the background ;)

I think he could probably use a few extra pounds but it mostly looks like he doesn't have a lot of top line. Try working on building up muscle.

Confo wise he's pretty good. He is slightly built uphill which you have probably noticed since his withers are higher then his hind end. Also his hind legs are slightly sickle hocked but that might just be the picture. I don't think his neck is a ewe neck since the underside is fairly straight. Again building up the top line will improve the look of the top of the neck. He's got a really nice shoulder and a fairly nice headset. Overall a nice looking horse.

Just work on the muscle build up
     
    08-10-2011, 02:21 PM
  #5
Super Moderator
Skye,

I would be interested in seeing a video of how he moves. It's the hind end that makes me aske this. His hind legs are what is sometimes called "crooked" , meaning that if you move his hind end to the place where the canon bone is vertical, it is behind the point of his buttock, rather than lined up with it.
I don't know if this is a big deal or not, but that and the rather sharp point of his sacroilliag joint and the very small hunter's bump in front of the SI joint, and the underdevelopment of the top muscles of his neck make me wonder if he has a longterm habit of moving with his head in the air and back hollowed and tight.

He has great bone all around, nice front legs with good knees and a super shoulder angle. Nice longish neck and shoulder angle and good throatlatch.
What's he like to ride?
     
    08-10-2011, 09:46 PM
  #6
Showing
Quote:
Originally Posted by A knack for horses    
He looks pretty good, but wouldn't object to seeing another 25-30 pounds put on him. (I prefer a tiny bit of chub to a tiny bit of rib, but that's just me)

From the last picture, he looks to be built a tad bit uphill. I like the angle of his shoulder, and holy sharkfin withers!!! I'm not a confo expert, so take my critique with a grain of salt.

He is beautiful btw.
I know he is SO underweight and I wish he was a chubby muffin, but we're slowly getting there.

He is built very uphill and his withers are sooo defined, almost like a tennesse walker's that we have at my work. But thank you so much for your comment!


Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarPlumLove    
Nice looking horse! I like the picture above the confo one because it has a rainbow in the background ;)

I think he could probably use a few extra pounds but it mostly looks like he doesn't have a lot of top line. Try working on building up muscle.

Confo wise he's pretty good. He is slightly built uphill which you have probably noticed since his withers are higher then his hind end. Also his hind legs are slightly sickle hocked but that might just be the picture. I don't think his neck is a ewe neck since the underside is fairly straight. Again building up the top line will improve the look of the top of the neck. He's got a really nice shoulder and a fairly nice headset. Overall a nice looking horse.

Just work on the muscle build up
Yep no topline, he's very green and I'm still figuring out HOW to get him in the right kind of shape.. he has trouble with hollowing out his back, but he has gotten 100000% better since his adjustments (not chiropractics but similar)

Yeah he had a huge gash when my trainer first got him at 4, and then he had another one in the SAME spot, so he's all out of whack but sound :)

Thanks!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyliny    
skye,

I would be interested in seeing a video of how he moves. It's the hind end that makes me aske this. His hind legs are what is sometimes called "crooked" , meaning that if you move his hind end to the place where the canon bone is vertical, it is behind the point of his buttock, rather than lined up with it.
I don't know if this is a big deal or not, but that and the rather sharp point of his sacroilliag joint and the very small hunter's bump in front of the SI joint, and the underdevelopment of the top muscles of his neck make me wonder if he has a longterm habit of moving with his head in the air and back hollowed and tight.

He has great bone all around, nice front legs with good knees and a super shoulder angle. Nice longish neck and shoulder angle and good throatlatch.
What's he like to ride?
I was going to tape him while he was lunging but my camera was always on the fritz and just today he got hurt and has to be on stall rest :( I am so heart broken..

Tiny... that is how he is.. nose to the sky and hollowed out back.. he's still very green but when he was around 2-4, he had "cowboys" abuse him with a nasty bit, spurs, whips, chains, they starved him... called him Melon head cause they thought his head was just huge and he was actually a Qh. Those buttwipes... but yeah. He has gotten better but at times he does do that.

Otherwise, he has a lazy walk because of my failure of a seat :P and his trot is huge and smooth for the most part.. but I swear he just goes without thinking about where his feet are, honestly.

I've never cantered him.. I was pressured into doing it and I wasn't ready and now it has me really scared (it was on another horse and I got bucked off and landed square on the crown of my head..neck is all screwed up.. WITH helmet on thank GOD)

I have to wait at least 2 weeks till I can give him light exercise and will get a video to you asap. Then when I can ride him, I'll have someone video tape the ride and you will be witness to what an awful rider I am and the stuff Sky has to put up with :P but also :( lol.. :/

But let me say... he picked me.. I didn't pick him so there must be something likable about me that kept him from his other owner who was prob. A billion times a better rider.

So :/

But thanks everyone.. he needs to be told he's wonderful. I just want him happy and healthy, which atm he is not due to stall rest.. grrrr

Oh these maddening tangents...
     
    08-10-2011, 09:54 PM
  #7
Showing
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartMyOTTB    
I don't know much about confo, other than when I am looking at good or really bad, so I am looking forward to hearing what others think. Especially with your diagram in the last photo! Good work!

I think, from the line you drew out, he is a bit ewe necked. But, with that said, I also think he still looks a little underweight. So maybe he just needs some muscle to prime up? My horse flourished on grass, do you have access to pasture?

Anyway, he is cute! Nice face, kind eye. That's what I like in a good horse.

You and me both, sista! Hehe, thanks.. but the place I tie him is hilly and he was more interested in his hay than planting his feet where they were needed to be, haha :P So, one day I'll get an accurate picture of him. Or maybe just a movie like tiny suggested cause you can see the way their leg is built in how they move, or so my farrier tells me. It makes sense though..

Pasture.. ha. He's in "pasture" but there is more mud than grass. Actually there is no grass.. bleh. Sorry I'm really bitter right now.

Thanks! He sure deserves compliments. And yes.. I think muscles would definitely help, but weight would too.. so :P It's the waiting game for now!

Thanks for you input :)
     
    08-10-2011, 11:16 PM
  #8
Super Moderator
Skye,

The more I read about your horse, the more I can see that you have a ways to go with him, but there is a lot of potential. He is a pretty nice horse and when he fills out and starts moving correctly I bet you will not recognize him.

For you, the challenge is to be patient and think of it as "rehab". Even a horse who has has the best of treatment while young, should be brought along slowly to being a riding horse. That's why a horse with training is so much more expensive; it takes time and money and energy to bring a horse to that place.
So, may I gently and warmly congratulate you on your enthusiasum and remind you to take it easy. Don't let other people set the schedule unless they have his and your best interests at heart.
Your horse might not be ABLE to do some of the things that you are now blaming your riding skills for not happening. I think reading about the slow and logical development of the dressage trained hrose will help you to think of the development of Skye. There is a training pyramid for the reason that the horse must be able to physically do the things on the bottom to be able to support the actions above it.

While he is convelescing, look into some fundamental dressage books. I really can't recommend one over another. I love Sylvia Loch . But all of them will be over your head to begin with. Just read and get what you can, then reread, then rearead. I am rereading all the time.

As for conformation, Dr. Deb Bennet has some books that go into majorly detailed info on conformation. Look on Amazon.

Keep us posted and trust your gut!
     
    08-11-2011, 03:48 AM
  #9
Showing
Sounds great tiny.. thanks! :)
     
    08-20-2011, 11:04 PM
  #10
Showing
Sky has been on stall rest since the 10th. He got a nasty puncture which he got cleaned, drained, and stitched up. It's been 10 days. 4 left!!! :)

8/20/11


Puncture with stitches after 10 days!! :)



Close up... :/ it was terrible.


Weight gain, right side!!!



Weight gain.. left :)



From afar <3



Clean face!!



Front ^_^


What do you think??
     

Quick Reply
Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Went a bit picture happy....*very pic heavy* smrobs Horse Pictures 27 06-21-2011 06:53 PM
As many CC as possible please. Picture Heavy Bashkir Horse Riding Critique 11 08-18-2010 04:51 PM
Some of my photography (picture heavy) drafts4ever Horse Pictures 6 06-21-2010 05:42 AM
Attention Span ChevyPrincess Horse Training 9 09-29-2009 09:11 PM
Maia 8/28/08 - picture heavy!! JustDressageIt Horse Pictures 22 08-31-2008 07:54 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0