Tear Me Apart!
   

       The Horse Forum > Riding Horses > Horse Riding Critique

Tear Me Apart!

This is a discussion on Tear Me Apart! within the Horse Riding Critique forums, part of the Riding Horses category
  • Horse riding hollow back
  • High head and hollow back

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    07-30-2011, 10:51 AM
  #1
Foal
Tear Me Apart!

Judge my riding or whatever - I can take the harshiest comments; anything to help me get better!

284349_10150715122995068_670840067_19697837_5809622_n.jpg
dp.jpg
dp2.jpg
movie1.jpg
movie3.jpg


After jump.
movie4.jpg


Over Jump/
carly66.jpg
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    07-30-2011, 07:34 PM
  #2
Foal
Buuuump.
     
    07-30-2011, 08:30 PM
  #3
Super Moderator
OK, I have to say that you need to work on your flat work. Your horse is fairly heavy on the forehand and not moving forward off of your leg and into the bridle.

Yes, she is hot and wanting to go faster, but that is different than going forward into the bridle. Her back is very hollow and her head, as a result, is up in the air. Even though she is hot, you need to get her to listen to your leg and use your leg to engage the haunch and move into the bridle.

It is SO hard to explain this over the net. I usually have to get on the horse to feel what is going on with them. When I figure out what I have to do to help fix the horse, Then I can talk the rider through it. I just can't tell you what you need to do without getting on her.

For instance....I taught a clinic in Canada this last May and a student brought a fabulous horse she had produced in her breeding program. The horse was also behind her leg and not thrusting forward into the bridle. Result? Hollow back and high head and heavy on the forehand. Does this look familiar? Look at the second photo.



I got on the horse and REALLY applied leg! Not kicking, at all, but constant squeeze to encourage her forward. If she interpreted the leg and went faster, I corrected her. More energy....not faster. Again, hard to describe.

After about five minutes, the horse's light bulb went on and she suddenly understood. She became very light in the bridle, used the energy to go forward (but not faster) and this was the result...Doesn't she look happier?



After a few minutes, the owner got back on and, having felt what was needed for this particular horse, was able to coach her through it



I would suggest finding a decent dressage coach who may be able to help. Just remember, it is not tug tug tug on the reins...it is squeeze squeeze squeeze with the legs.

As for the jumping...I couldn't tell much from those pics. Sorry.
     
    07-30-2011, 08:41 PM
  #4
Foal
Wow, its amazing how much you can tell from pictures; thank you!

Yeah he does get pretty hot in the arena, and I think what happens is I leave him when he gets tense and flighty insted of working with him.
     
    07-30-2011, 08:50 PM
  #5
Super Moderator
Great photo essay, Allison!
Also, look at her photos of herself and the owner riding. I see two other points that bear similarities to the OP: The rider (the student to Allison) is sucking up with the lower leg, not letting her weight go really down into a solid base of the stirrup. She is kind of closing at the knee and this inhibits forward motion of the horse and reall causes them to hold back and accordian the neck upward as the shoulder and ribcage defend against this grip.
The hand. The rider has a downward pull on the rein, thus breaking the line from elbow to bit. This means that the horse , again, will brace against this and the rider will find it harder to follow the horse's mouth and allow the horse to let their head come forward without losing the mouth to hand connection.
     
    07-30-2011, 09:15 PM
  #6
Super Moderator
Quote:
Originally Posted by SocietyJoe    
Wow, its amazing how much you can tell from pictures; thank you!

Yeah he does get pretty hot in the arena, and I think what happens is I leave him when he gets tense and flighty insted of working with him.
Riding a tense hot horse is a real challenge. The biggest key to riding a horse like that is to not escalate the tension yourself. A tense horse needs a relaxed rider. SO....even if you are tense and the LAST thing you want to do is relax....you must. It starts with simply pretending you are relaxed. MAKE yourself relax every muscle in your body. If you do this, successfully, you will be surprised how much your horse will respond.

PRETEND and it will become reality. My first dressage coach always said "the tenser the horse is, the softer you ride"
     
    07-30-2011, 09:17 PM
  #7
Super Moderator
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyliny    
Great photo essay, Allison!
Also, look at her photos of herself and the owner riding. I see two other points that bear similarities to the OP: The rider (the student to Allison) is sucking up with the lower leg, not letting her weight go really down into a solid base of the stirrup. She is kind of closing at the knee and this inhibits forward motion of the horse and reall causes them to hold back and accordian the neck upward as the shoulder and ribcage defend against this grip.
The hand. The rider has a downward pull on the rein, thus breaking the line from elbow to bit. This means that the horse , again, will brace against this and the rider will find it harder to follow the horse's mouth and allow the horse to let their head come forward without losing the mouth to hand connection.

EWWW!!! Tiny....you are good! And, absolutely correct. Thanks for pointing that out.
     
    07-30-2011, 09:20 PM
  #8
Trained
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allison Finch    
Riding a tense hot horse is a real challenge. The biggest key to riding a horse like that is to not escalate the tension yourself. A tense horse needs a relaxed rider. SO....even if you are tense and the LAST thing you want to do is relax....you must. It starts with simply pretending you are relaxed. MAKE yourself relax every muscle in your body. If you do this, successfully, you will be surprised how much your horse will respond.

PRETEND and it will become reality. My first dressage coach always said "the tenser the horse is, the softer you ride"
good point ! When ever im nervous on a hot horse I make myself smile, its really hard to smile and be tense at the same time !
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tear me apart, please juniormylove Horse Riding Critique 6 06-06-2011 06:09 PM
Figuraatively Tear Him apart. :) RogueMare Horse Riding Critique 6 07-19-2010 01:07 AM
Tear him apart..........Please. smrobs Horse Riding Critique 23 06-24-2009 09:45 AM
Muscle Tear - Can you Help? Delregans Way Horse Health 3 01-06-2009 08:07 PM
Tear me apart...be cruel if you must SonnyWimps Horse Riding Critique 13 04-01-2008 04:57 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0